Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:24 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 89, G50 shifter loosening?

89 G50,..something's "moved or loose"
Greetings to all,

Productive day with the 89 coupe,..taking care of many side items,...ending on a (somewhat) bad note........need you guys' insight before I embark.

Today's drive produced something in the G50 shifter that doesn't feel right...(BTW,..today's work had NOTHING to do with the shifter...). At a red light,....placing shifter into 1st,..preparing to GO,..I noticed something felt as if something loosened within the shifter...she's going in all gears just fine yet there's more lateral movement (left/right) while in neutral. While pulled over on the interstate, I noticed that when moving the shifter left to right (neutral), I can hear a slapping (if you will) of what seems to be metal tapping metal that was not there before. This shifter and tranny have been working flawlessly previously. I headed on down the road, carefully and sensitively, noting that she's getting in the gears just fine,.still quite nervous that something just loosened,..I carefully headed home to be distracted with the non-Porsche activities for the remainder of the afternoon, unnattending to my new-found problem.

I've spent much time this evening reviewing many great posts, particularly on the console removal, linkages, etc. and am prepared to indulge tomorrow (Memorial day).

Guys,..which part (in PET) on this shifter may have loosened (or broken)? The sound (when moving the shifter while in neutral to the far right (((TAP))) seems to eminate from under the E-brake area. GEEEEZE,..I hope that only some screw or something has come loose and can be tightened...maybe she's now free to move within the tube?

Maybe you experienced fellows already know what has "taken' place"....

I hope my description is sufficient and not too confusing.

Delicate shifting provides all of the normal excitement she's always had...just that this lateral slop is not at all normal,..that's for sure.

Thanks in advance for insightful observations.

I have posted this on the Pelican board also..

My best

1989, Carrera 911, 3.2L, G50, S.A. Edition

1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe, S.A. Edition

Certified RUSH FREAK!!!
Recording Engineer
Macon, GA.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:52 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a rubber shaft bushing on the shift rod that may have come off or separated. You also have a cup bushing on the round ball pivot point of the shift lever. You should check these and possibly replace them. There is also a mechanical hook-up of the shift rod and the coupler in the back in front of the rear seats. You have to lift the rear tunnel carpet to expose the cover to the shift connector. On my 88 Carrera, there are two bolts that connect the shift rod to the coupler. That coupler is not like the one in the 915 and is a big hefty unit. These bolts have a smooth shank to allow them to float and a rubber donut that cushions the shift rod and the coupler. The rubber donut could be breaking apart, also. I would also check the screw that holds the coupler to the shift rod where they connect at the tranny nose. In my opinion, any or all of these could cause the problem. It never hurts to check them out and alleviate possibilities.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:54 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Spider911. We've a plan to install the kit later this week.....

Thanks for the insight!!!!

Best,
Old 05-29-2007, 11:50 AM
pingman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dshepp806,
I am just down the road from you in Dublin, GA. and am having a similar condition with an '87 G50. I would love to know what you find and a brief description of the fix. I have an '87 Targa and an '86 Coupe, both 911's. The '86 has different tranny than the '87, and shifts much sweeter than the '87.
Thanks,
Pingman
Old 05-29-2007, 05:26 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Greetings to you pingman....Dublin's not far off at all!!!!!!!!!

I prefer the G50 over the 915, personally. This car has been flawless until this strange happening...I've a complete bushing kit on order and will install upon arrival. I hope to have time this evening to inspect the rear end of the shift mechanism....should I find something loose there (as one Pelican already suggested..), I may STILL install the kit on the forward end. She had a fork update doc'd but no mention of the bushing changeouts...tis time to have a look and see what's in there. Speaking of which,...what are your plans on the problematic G50? I found some great threads that thoroughly speak to issues/fixes..........this group is really amazing..it's like an ongoing novel.......a perpetual reservoir of info/experience.

I've so enjoyed this car since last November.....Are you in the Ocmulgee PCA ?

I'll let you (and the others) know the outcome as soon as I can get to it. She's drivable now, ever so carefully,....I just don't want to f^&%&$*& something up here. She's been so good to me..and now the console has got to come out!!!!!!

You're welcome to drop an email,...maybe we can get together for a breakfast one Sat. A.M. in Dublin.
Yep,..it's time for some "bonding" with my baby..

Best,
Old 04-05-2008, 12:38 PM
ned903
Intermediate

dshepp86,
Thanks for your thread. I am experiencing an identical set of symptoms on my '87 coupe. My symptoms even showed up immediately following a great drive!

I'm curious about a couple of things:

1) What exactly did you find?
2) You refer to a bushing "kit". I have been unable to locate such a kit for the G50. What was in the "kit" and where did you find it?
3) Once you got into the shifter were there any additional items you wish you had taken care of while you were into the shifter?

Thanks,
Old 04-05-2008, 03:16 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Damn! I can't believe I didn't followup on this,..I think I posted the results over at Pelican...sorry...

1.);;;; I found a broken friction ring (950 424 141 00)

2.);;;; Don't recall if I ordered it in kit form or not...may have gotten' the individual parts. Our host has everything you need. You would need the friction ring (already mentioned), as this is probably what "went" (if, in fact, your symptoms are truly identical) DO UNDERSTAND that I had NO problems with the rear shift rod/bearing body,rubber at the rear tunnel. Problem was clearly up front. While you're in there, you may want to replace the 2 O-rings (999 701 012 50 and 999 701 923 40) ,..or lube the existing ones,..you're call.......I went ahead and changed mine.....also changed out the ball socket
(911 424 139 01)..I think that was it (may have ordered a spare lock/clip just in case the original got bent or something [ N 012 653 1 ] ). Head shift rod and fit bolt was fine....

3.) Not really..

A magazine had a great write up on the G50 entitled "Rattle Trap",..A search may reveal it,..or I'll look among my data files..

All worked out well,..Bentley has some good pics,..don't recall following their EXACT procedure for console removal...but it will all become obvious as you work through it..

New friction ring made my baby's shifting sweet again!!!

Good Luck!!
Old 04-05-2008, 03:29 PM
ned903
Intermediate

Thanks for your quick reply. Pelican’s been down today so I have not had a chance to check there. They do list the individual parts, but no kit.

I really believe that I am up against the same problem. It certainly all sounds like it is up front. I have read the Bentley Manual and it seems pretty straight forward. I just want to have the parts on hand so that I am not off the road any longer than necessary. I’m missing too much great driving weather.

I have ordered the Excellence 2002 issue, but it will take a couple of weeks to arrive as they appear not to have online ordering. If you have a scan it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:48 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/ExG50shift1.jpg
http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/ExG50shift2.jpg
http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/ExG50shift3.jpg
http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/ExG50shift4.jpg
click on the pic and it will get bigger
Old 04-05-2008, 03:55 PM
ned903
Intermediate

You guys are the best.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:57 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I drove mine for a whole week in that condition,..waiting for parts to arrive....eversocarefully!!!!!!!!!!. DO review the console removal threads,..as lotsa guys hit walls when attempting to do it...careful not to damage the AC related *****/connections.

My rear stuff was in great condition,..thank God!!

Front stuff is pretty straightforward...

I also replaced the shift **** cap (has shift pattern on it).

Best,
Old 04-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

Just had the same issue.

Shift lever suddenly has about an additional inch of free play and you can hear metal/metal contact.

On inspection I found the ball cup bushing to be the culprit.

It's part #10 in this diagram.

Good luck with it.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2008, 08:45 PM
ned903
Intermediate

I've ordered the parts.

Quick question, does the ball cup bushing require a hydraulic press to remove/replace or can it be fitted with a brass hammer or vice?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:37 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

My failure was item #2 in J.Mills illustration.

Item#10 replaced "while in there",..by hand.

Items 4 & 8, O-rings.

Extra #6 and #19...just in case (wimped)...

Lube it all up....go.

Best,

Quick Reply: 89, G50 shifter loosening?