Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is back with new GT2 Crate Motor! Thanks UMW!

Old 05-30-2007, 01:52 AM
cpu77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is back with new GT2 Crate Motor! Thanks UMW!

You may recall I took my 2002 turbo in with just 16k miles on it for a loud lower end metalic clunking sound. At first they thought it was a chain tensioner. Diagnosed that day said they could fix it tomorrow. Price to repair was only $800. The next day they called and said after further inspection it was not that. They said to diagnose it further I would have to pull the motor. I said ok. It was diagnosed with a intermediate shaft failure. This took them 1 week with me calling them everyday. I asked what was the cause of this and was told it was a manufacturing defect. They assured me it had nothing to do with the car being chipped or my driving style. That 01 and early 02's had had this issue. I waited another 1.5 weeks to get a estimate ( I called every day some times 2x). Finally my estimate came and it was almost $15k! WTF!!!!!!!!!! A huge amount of this was labor. So I tried contacting Porsche to see if there was anything they would do. I was told by the young kid at 1800-Porsche, "Porsche has a no GOODWILL policy!" This is your problem. I am not used to asking people for something. I hate it! I then spoke to my local (75miles away) dealers service manager, he was a real treat. He said the car was chipped (I told them that when I brought it in) your not even the first owner. So no one will help you. I thought this makes no sense to be treated like this a $140k stickered car with 16k miles on it with a manufacturer defect. I am pretty much being told to go F#%@ myself! Honestly I did not expect anyone to pay for the new engine, but a little help on labor or a discount above the 10% over dealer cost I got quoted on my own would have been nice. To think I had actually thought in a year or so I might buy a brand new 997tt. Any how after thinking about a early conversation with Kevin at UMW who mention it might be cheaper to buy a crate motor ( I told him he was nuts). I decided to get pricing for one. I called Kevin and asked him what he thought of the price I had found. The price was $18kKevin told me he maybe able to do better. So he called around and eventually made a deal with me that put my out of pocket for a brand new crate motor installed at a little less than $15k! Thats a super deal all things considered! Now I did have to do a little juggling to make that happen, but Kevin is the real super star. It took me a week to get the motor shipped to me and get it delivered to the dealer. I told the dealer I had bought a crate motor and needed a price to install it. They quoted me for what had been done and to install the new motor $3k! So I called around. I figured screw it I will haul it to someone I trust. Well I got a price of $900 to install plus another $450 to haul it there. Since I owed the dealer $700 for pulling the motor either way that put my total at almost $2100. Making it only a $900 savings. So I spoke again to the service dept manager he agreed to work with me if they did the work. I thought it over and decided not to take the chance of losing something moving the car and engine to someone else. I spent almost another 1.5 weeks riding them to get it installed. I finally got my car back Friday night after 5.5 weeks of screwing around with my dealer. I am glad to have it back. A little less stress in my life nowJ

I would like to take a moment to say thank you to a great vendor. Kevin at UMW has helped me through this ordeal. The guy has really been great. He has really helped me through this from getting me a awesome deal on a crate engine, to just giving me advice and listening to me bitch! Prior to all this all I ever did was buy a set of used UMW turbos (NOT NEW) from a board member. The only money that I had ever given UMW was a special deal for software for buying these used turbos. The guy has literally been pro-bono for all of this situation!

I also would like to say thanks KPG (Kevin). For listening to me bitch and giving me your opinion on numerous occasions. You just keep telling me no to that Ford GTJ

On a positive note the car runs great. Not to mention Scot Edge at Byers Porsche really took care of me. In the end for all the labor and fluids he only charged me $1100! So thank you Scott! He said he knew they screwed around making me wait and stepped up and helped me out a little. Customer service is all about how you fix your mistakes not how you deny them. BTW why the motor was out the dealer threw in my UMW Lightweight Flywheel and clutch.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:37 AM
RdRunner
Instructor

Originally Posted by cpu77
It was diagnosed with a intermediate shaft failure. This took them 1 week with me calling them everyday. I asked what was the cause of this and was told it was a manufacturing defect. They assured me it had nothing to do with the car being chipped or my driving style. That 01 and early 02's had had this issue.
Wow, sorry to hear about it, that is really bad news. As I recall I also talked to you over the phone after I got mines, and you were looking for one as well. What a bummer... I really hope it doesn't happens to anyone else.

But I do have a question, this "shaft failure" it's something I jut heard about it today, and it got me worried since I have an 01.

What is the scope on this issue? I heard about the second gear pop out issue, the 01 plugs issues, the diverter valves issue, the gas tank not taking gas issue, but this is the first i hear about the "shaft failure"...

Is thing known? common issue? maybe also other members have some insights....

thanks

-Ryan
Old 05-30-2007, 01:53 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ralph,

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle.

Kevin is AWESOME!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Ralph, I'm glad that you are up and running...

We will soon find out what component failed. I'll post my findings as soon as I tear the engine apart.

I can't wait to hear Ralph's impressions about his new "clutch"
Old 05-30-2007, 04:46 PM
KPG
Pro

Ralph, glad to see you back behind the wheel....of a Porsche. Kevin's pricing on parts are just plain reasonable... Good luck with the new lump. Kevin

BTW, I am also waiting on the feedback on the LWFW that you put in....call me when you get a minute.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:11 AM
2fas4u
Instructor

Thumbs up good for u!

Know you're glad it's over and +1 for kevin all is well that ends well.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What a nightmare! Glad it is all over... yikes!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Any updates.....?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What kind of updates?

Ralph's new engine is running like a top. His old engine, is sitting in pieces. Along with 4 other core engines.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:23 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

i thought that IMS failures were issues with the naturally aspirated engines. what changes did porsche make after the 01's and 02's to address this issue?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:36 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
What kind of updates?

Ralph's new engine is running like a top. His old engine, is sitting in pieces. Along with 4 other core engines.
To this.....

Originally Posted by Kevin
We will soon find out what component failed. I'll post my findings as soon as I tear the engine apart..
Old 01-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

One of the guide rails failed (I think that it was a manufacturing defect or production line mishap>dropped and installed)

This caused sprocket wear (intermediate shaft)

Thrust bearings were also trashed.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:10 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

kevin..can you post a diagram or direct me where i can see one that depicts these components and where thay are located within the engine. just trying to learn...thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:18 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And was it just early 02's that were effected or ALL 02's?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:32 PM
cpu77
Instructor

Kevin,

So you finally diagnosed my engine. I am glad to hear it was not too bad for ya. My car is running great! Thanks again for all your help! I can not thank you enough!

Take care
Ralph

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car is back with new GT2 Crate Motor! Thanks UMW!