Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?

I used to race a 931. I open road raced in Nevada and Mexico. I was clocked at 159mph in my 1980cc engine. Due to not having a fuel cell I wasn't allowed to go past 160mph. I put a 2.25cc motor in and never raced since. I moved to New Zealand right after that. It has been in storage for 10 years in Las Vegas. That is my history, now for my question.

I have some Porsche factory 931 titanium valves (4 ins and 4 outs) in my spares and didn't know if there was any market for them. I have a guy who wants to buy them and melt them down for the titanium (sacrilege I know). There were very few sets ever made and I couldn't find any on the net for sale to know what they are worth.

I figure they are pink elephants but thought I would ask the group. I just want to know should I let him have them or try to list them somewhere.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Cliff
Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2.25cc motor? I think my rc car has a 2.5cc. Those things are good for like 2hp!

Anyway, welcome to the club!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Anyone know if these would fit into a 944 motor? I know its a completely different engine, but by some chance could the valves be the same diameter?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:31 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Unhappy

I doubt they would. I think the port sizes are very different. I wish they did.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:31 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Why would you want to spend the money on some titanium valves for a 944 motor though? Unless you were doing insane aftermarket parts for everything, or just like spending money, it would seem rather pointless.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:54 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

billthe3

The motor is insane. It is a stroker crank that is huge. Hence the non standard 2.25cc. The cylinder seals between the block and head are gas filled. The hotter they get the tighter they seal. They were made for nuclear power plants. No kidding. Special made aluminum cylinder heads with basically not much more than oil scrapers for seals.

Dual disc clutch plates. The faster it spins the tighter the grip. You can't even start the car from a standing stop without chirping the tires even if you try.

The guy that developed it was racing trans-am against corvettes. Originally the cylinder head was welded shut an it used two radiators. He even had the alternator attached to the rear axle. I think his redline was 9 grand! That was a lot 15 years ago.

It doesn't have adjustable values you use shims. I have a huge assortment. A real pain but rock solid.

The car is dry sumped with the oil cooler in the rear where the license plate was.

Factory 924 gt intercooler. The 931 snail gear box, the good one. Not the gtr version as it had a ring and pinion the size of montanna. I used a 3rd gear upside down for 5th. Large jump from 4th to 5th.

The fiberglass nose was cast from a leMans 924gtr Cannon car. The tach is from the 924gtr. It has a boost gauge below the tach and uses a 930 pressure sending unit.

It goes on. I spent a lot money in those days and had lots of fun. I guess that is why I haven't let the car go. Old memories. A lot of the stuff on the car was hard to get even then.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:01 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, I have no doubts that the motor is a screamer. I was just remarking at the displacement - wouldn't it be 2.25L? 2.25 cubic centimeters of displacement is something like .13 cubic inches. Or am I thinking of a different CC than you're talking about?

The car sounds awesome. Have you been able to get it out of storage at all in the 10yrs since you've moved? That sounds like one of those cars that you should pay someone to drive for you because it doesn't deserve to sit in storage. Let me be the first to offer to drive it for you.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Oops. You are right. I should be shot.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:04 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Hehe, just messing with ya. I think its part of the required responses to a new member posting.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Titanium valves on a street car is a huge waste of time, especially on a non turbo 944. For a dedicated track car, and trying to squeeze every last bit of efficiency out of the motor then they could be worthwhile. Ct-nz, since they're a rare factory set (hell, I didn't even know Porsche offered those!), I'm sure you can still find someone that will pay an arm and a leg for collection purposes. As for actual use, I'd say about 99% of people out there would do just fine with the typical 21-4N stainless valves, which would be quite a bit cheaper.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Wink

billthe3

You made me do this! lol.

I alomost forgot I ran 8's and 9's with cross drilled rotors. The rotors were great in the rain but would heat crack over time.

Here are some pics.

a. side view - Those race mirrors were good for drag but you didn't see much
b. down in Ensenada mexico for the LaCarrera - I actually put on windshield wipers that day
c. Some underneath high speed secrets
d. Front view - Those air intakes are not for looks there is extensive duct work for them
e. On the track in Las Vegas - note the body roll. There isn't any.

Hope you enjoy racing from a decade ago.
Attached Images      
Old 06-27-2007, 05:34 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Awesome! Those lights and front end look sweet!

I had been thinking of making my own sheet plate for an underbody gaurd, though not to that extent.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:37 PM
ct_nz
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Titanium valves on a street car is a huge waste of time, especially on a non turbo 944. For a dedicated track car, and trying to squeeze every last bit of efficiency out of the motor then they could be worthwhile. Ct-nz, since they're a rare factory set (hell, I didn't even know Porsche offered those!), I'm sure you can still find someone that will pay an arm and a leg for collection purposes. As for actual use, I'd say about 99% of people out there would do just fine with the typical 21-4N stainless valves, which would be quite a bit cheaper.

Porschefile

Many thanks for the informed reply. There are very few people even left running 931's much less racing them. The porsche blood runs deep and I hated to destroy some of the unique legacy. I may see if I can find them a home. it is just they have been sitting there for 10 years in my possession alone. They were made in the 80's.

Even though they are an alloy there is a good bit of titanium in those 8 valves. It is a shame it's contents is worth more than the whole.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:38 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

If no one will buy them for use in an engine, you should make some custom wine glasses and use them for the bases.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:41 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sicko car! Get that bad boy back out on the road/track!

Quick Reply: 931 Titanium Vavles - Is there a demand?