Sponsored by:

First Impressions of the Club Coupe -- 997S with X51 v. 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:18 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Impressions of the Club Coupe -- 997S with X51 v. 996

Today, for the first time, I had the opportunity to drive the club coupe above 45 mph. I thought that some of you might be interested to hear about the differences between the club coupe, which essentially is a 2006 997 S with the X51 power kit (see http://coochas.com/brochures/Resources/997ClubCoupe.pdf ), and my old car, which was a 2002 996. Here are my first impressions, in no particular order.

1. Suspension: For a street sports car, the suspension of the 997 S is incredible, and a substantial improvement over the 996. When I first bought my 996, I was hugely disappointed with the stock suspension. The nose lifted under acceleration and dove under braking. In corners, the car leaned and seemed floaty. I replaced the stock suspension with PSS9s, which was a huge improvement. Nonetheless, the new PASM is very nice. It is much, much stiffer, and yet less harsh. The suspension has two settings: normal and sports. I have yet to use the sport settings too much, because the normal setting feels fine. The best way to describe the car is that it is composed and settled. It certainly is not a race suspension (none of the stock Porsches, even the GT2/GT3s, have a race suspension, although the GT2/GT3s are certainly closer), but it is very, very stable. Car leans a little bit, but only under hard cornering, and the dampeners do a great job of keeping the tires on the pavement without transmitting harshness. I can't wait to see how it would do at track speeds. I bet that it would be very predictable. Familiar corners with disturbances at mid corner (e.g., northbound on canal road when you take the right hand corner to cut from clara barton pkwy to 495 north) are handled with aplomb. Huge improvement.

2. Motor:
The 996s had 325 hp (or 320 depending upon your source). The Stock 997 S has 355 HP at 6,600 rpm, while the club coupe has 381 HP at 7,200 rpm. But the real story, at least from my first impression, is the torque. The stock 997 S has 295 lb-ft of torque at 4,600, while the club coupe has 306 lb-ft of torque at 5,500. Now, you might say 11 lb-ft of torque isn't much, but I swear it feels so much gruntier all across the power band. The places you feel it the most are really low in the band and towards the upper end. The power charts bear this out, and the engine is a joy. The car is deceptively fast. You look down, and you cannot believe how much speed you gained so quickly. The gearing also feels substantially different. It feels like the car is geared much lower, which, frankly, is an improvement since I will never get near the top speed of 186 mph on the street or the track. I have to be careful about the different perception of speed and the lower gearing because the rev matching points have changed: I need to become more accustomed to the proper downshift points so I do not inadvertently overrrev (don't think I ever would, but the car has suprised me a little in that regard). In any event, lots of oomph across the powerband and I will have to really watch myself so that I do not pick up a reckless due to speed alone totally inadvertently. I have found that my perception of speed is about 30 mph lower than what I am actually going.

Here is a description from Porsche regarding the powerkit.

The 911 Carrera S, 911 Carrera 4S and 911 Targa 4S models offer total power output of 261 kW (355 bhp) as standard. From the moment the key is turned, the flat-six engine will set your heartbeat racing. You can also raise the pulse-rate higher with this exclusive engine conversion. Offering a maximum output of 280 kW (381 bhp), the results are 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 4.6 seconds and 200 km/h (124 mph) in 14.9.* The key feature of the Powerkit is the optimized gas-flow characteristics on inlet and exhaust. This is achieved by means of a modified cylinderhead geometry. Other features include an aluminum intake manifold and revised exhaust manifolds with larger bores. Controlling it all is a specially uprated engine management system. The performance is matched by the sight and sound of the carbon-fiber air-filter housing.

Also included in the package is a sports exhaust system with matching sports tailpipes. All are designed for optimum throughput and therefore optimum engine performance. The exhaust system has two sound modes – normal and sport – which can be selected using a button in the cockpit.

Benefits for the driver include increased power over the entire engine speed range. The car is more responsive with a more exhilarating sound. In short: even more 911.

I posted a few power/torque plots below. The first one shows the comparison between the 997 and the 997S. AFAIK, the 997 motor is basically the same as the 996 motor.

The second plot shows the difference between the 997 S and the 997S with powerkit.

3. Ride Height: Theclub coupe with aerokit is extremely low, and it is difficult not to scrape the front lip spoiler all the time. I am resigned to view that part as disposable. I am sure I will have to replace it more than once over the life of the car, because there are times when you just cannot help but drag the nose entering and exiting ramps and parking lots. Not much you can do but cringe.

4. Completely Different Cars: Although at first glance you would think the 997 is just a restyle of the 996, I have the impression that every single piece has changed. It is a little eerie in that regard. Nothing in common with the 997 in terms of proportions, placement, shape, etc . . . This car is wider and a little shorter, and I need to get used to the new dimension.

5. I must mod the Porsche Sport Exhaust: Both my 996 and the club coupe were equipped from the factory with the Porsche Sport Exhaust. On the 996, the car was default loud, but you could quieten the exhaust by pressing a button on the dash, which I find extremely helpful when in the presence of police, grouchy neighbors, or significant others who do not find the same joy has you do in the glorious sound of a flat six. The club coupe is default quiet until you go into sport mode. Due to Swiss noise laws, both the 996 and 997 come from the factory with a noise "carve out" that causes the car to become quiet from about 20 mph until about 50 mph even when in the loud setting. I modified the relay on the 996 so that when it is in the loud mode, it is loud at every speed and rpm. I haven't had time to do that yet to the club coupe, and I want to do it asap. It is really annoying to hear the car loud at low speeds, and then hush when it accelerates until you hit about 5K rpm when it suddenly gets loud again. It sounds completely unnnatural. I know how to hack it, but I just haven't had the chance to do that yet.

6. The club coupe is an attention *****: The club coupe gets far, far more attention than the Targa did, even from people who do not realize it is a club coupe. Something about the aerokit and the color seem to make people notice it, and nearly all of the reaction has been positive. Seems to hold particular appeal for cougars, and I have been approached with propositions three times since Wednesday . . . no joke. Happened occasionally with the Targa, but nothing like this. BTW, I generally hate attention, so I do not consider this to be a "good" thing.

7. I will miss the Targa Top: I am finding it hard to get used to not having the light interior and the ability to open the top fully. The Targa really was a great daily driver. If they still offered the Targa in a C2 version (I don't want AWD), a C2 997 S Targa with the X51 power kit would be a fun daily driver. I guess I will have to settle with the club coupe since they don't make them . . .

OK, well, I could write more but I have probably already bored you, so here is a cookie, er, picture:
Attached Images      
Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Great write-up Todd, & congrats on the new wheels. The car looks beautiful. I love the color.

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on PASM sport mode on the track once you get there. For the longest time, I hated sport mode. I find it WAY too stiff for normal driving. Last time out at TWS however, someone encouraged me to try sport mode on the track, and I was very pleasantly surprised. The car felt really planted and more precise. TWS is fairly smooth. I suspect on a bumpy track the greater compliance that comes with the normal setting would be preferable. But on a smooth track sport mode seems pretty good to me.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:35 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks Mike.

I am curious as well. The 997s are ridiculously easy to drive. Incredible.

Keep in mind that I probably have less than 50 miles on the car at this point, so my impressions could change over time . . .
Old 08-31-2007, 08:05 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
The 997s are ridiculously easy to drive.
Damn, I thought I was actually good at droving.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by mglobe
Damn, I thought I was actually good at droving.
Are you trying to disqualify yourself for HWFMR?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:17 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It really is a nice looking car
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was drooling over that car (or one just like it) when I saw it for sale in the PCA classifieds - congrats on a real beauty
Old 08-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind that I probably have less than 50 miles on the car at this point, so my impressions could change over time . . .
Todd: I'd be happy to take your new car to VIR next weekend and put some good track miles on it. I promise I'll give you a full report -- including data plots!

Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks all.

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Todd: I'd be happy to take your new car to VIR next weekend and put some good track miles on it. I promise I'll give you a full report -- including data plots!

I bet you would . . . I bet you would. I am having a difficult time with my decision to draw back and spend time with my kids (not the spending time with my kids part, but the not going to the track part). I hope this gets easier.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:40 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Car is so energetic and fast that every time I drive it, I think "this ought to be illegal!". And everyone turns to look and listen to it, too.
Hope you enjoy driving it as much as we do.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

If you drive it the way I did today, it probably is illegal.

The sad thing is that it was actually unintentional. I think I am doing 60, and I look down to the speedo and realize I am doing 90 That could mean jail in VA. May have to use that speed warning.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Are you trying to disqualify yourself for HWFMR?
Not worried. VR can vouch for my slothlike speed.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have fun Todd - be safe!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:39 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the great write up Todd, but I am not quite sure that I can take your words at face value on this one. I believe I need to take the car for a test drive myself just to verify your assessment of the car.

Enjoy the new ride in good health.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

The car is deceptively fast. You look down, and you cannot believe how much speed you gained so quickly.

Interesting you would say that. I went from an M3 to a C4S four months ago and still feel the M3 was quicker 0 to 60 on a seat of the pants sensation basis. Everything else, like you said.........numbers in front of you, cars you sat next to at a stop light moments ago, barely visible in the rear view mirror suggest otherwise. Can't believe how subtle it is though.

Quick Reply: First Impressions of the Club Coupe -- 997S with X51 v. 996