993 Forum 1995-1998

Unloading Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:27 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Unloading Carrera S

I have had my C2S for sale for a while and just because the front bumper and air bag have been replaced from a previous accident people are shy to take a look at my car. I am re-listing the car in the classifieds for $48 OBO. It is not about the money . I dont drive the car and dont have any interest in driving it. Dont get me wrong, I think it is one of the nicesest Porsches I have owned. I just dont have any time for it. It has the 30K service done and is turn key.
I am super **** ( I have a 1st place trophy from my early 911 from a Porsche Parade concour) and looked a long time for this car. Dont low ball me but I am open to reasonable offers. I am located in Seattle, Wa.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:22 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice car, but IMO in today's market you will be very hard pressed to find a buyer for a 30K car that has had an accident for 48K.
Good luck with the sale.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:57 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

I would value a car that has had an airbag deployment at about 75%-80% of market value of a non accident car. And that is being somewhat generous.
Was your car in a one or two panel accident? Have you ever tried to trade in a car that has been in an accident as you have described?

What are the options on the car? color? equipment? etc.

B
Old 09-15-2007, 10:47 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Low mile C2S and TTs are sorta instant collector pieces. Accidents hit the value of those the hardest.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:00 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the damage was limited to the bumper I don't see why the value should be impacted a lot. Pics of the damage might put the buyers at ease. The final sale price might depend on the number of similar C2S cars on the market also.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:40 PM
dsfnctn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess a lot of the problem selling a car on Rennlist is that a big percent of the people on these threads really dont have a clue and are scared buy a carfax report. You see there is no sign of any repair. The front bumper cover is just a cover. The tub is perfect .The bumper cover is held on by bolts. It is made to be replaced . That is why you can buy them in a Porsche parts department.
My post is looking for an offer. Not ranking my car.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

$36k?
Old 09-15-2007, 12:50 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dsfnctn
I guess a lot of the problem selling a car on Rennlist is that a big percent of the people on these threads really dont have a clue and are scared buy a carfax report. You see there is no sign of any repair. The front bumper cover is just a cover. The tub is perfect .The bumper cover is held on by bolts. It is made to be replaced . That is why you can buy them in a Porsche parts department.
you sign up in a different name and you have 30 posts to your name and you call us clueless??? The bumper cover is held by the heavy aluminum brace that is bolted to the tub. In an impact the brace may very well intrude on the tub if the impact is strong enough as it is in many cases that I have witnessed. Unless you can produce pictures of the accident and the tub right after the accident to prove your point, it is very arrogant and ignorant of you to come in here and throw insults.
I think you should go somewhere else and sell your car to people who truly dont have a clue so you can feed them the BS that you are trying to feed us in here.

Have a nice day.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:50 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dsfnctn
Well, it might be offensive (just a bit) if you refer to a part of your market as clueless, but maybe that's just me.
I think it is reasonable to expect an enthusiast site to consist mostly people that are pretty fussy about cars (as are you).
Perhaps a less fussy market might be an easier place to look for buyers.
I have no doubt that your car is terrific and devalued more than it deserves.
Good luck in your sale.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:02 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Part of the perceived value of a low-mileage 993 is the "original paint, no accidents" part of the equation. It's generally the first thing people ask about. Makes no difference if the car is perfect now, or if the accident is minor. There are certain "****" people who will not touch a car if it's been painted or been in an accident.

If the accident happened under your ownership, you should go after the insurance company for diminished value. If it happened before you bought the car, perhaps you overpaid for it. I'm not saying I agree, that's just how it is. If the Carfax on the car is tarnished, it takes a hit in value, period. I just bought a preowned Mercedes wagon as a second car. I looked at an 04 that was absolutely mint, drove perfectly, etc. It had been in an accident that showed on the Carfax. If it wasn't for the Carfax, and a tiny bit of rough paint on the wagon hatchback driver's side, I wouldn't have guessed in a million years it had been hit. I didn't buy it, not because I didn't think it was a great car, but because I knew it would be a pain in the neck to try and sell it later. I bought a similar car with a clean Carfax.

As a self-described "super ****" Porsche owner, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by vjd3; 09-15-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:16 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
you sign up in a different name and you have 30 posts to your name and you call us clueless??? The bumper cover is held by the heavy aluminum brace that is bolted to the tub. In an impact the brace may very well intrude on the tub if the impact is strong enough as it is in many cases that I have witnessed. Unless you can produce pictures of the accident and the tub right after the accident to prove your point, it is very arrogant and ignorant of you to come in here and throw insults.
I think you should go somewhere else and sell your car to people who truly dont have a clue so you can feed them the BS that you are trying to feed us in here.

Have a nice day.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 09-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1

Have a nice day.
Originally Posted by chris walrod
My thoughts exactly!
X2

Scott
Old 09-15-2007, 01:29 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Hold on here. The other username was before I joined Rennlist. Like I said before if you read the starting thread I am the one that is being straight foward with the repair and looking for offers to sell the car . Thats it. I didnt ask for any opinions of the value. By the way ,anyone that thinks the car is only worth 30K is beyond clueless
Old 09-15-2007, 01:47 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by autosea
Hold on here. The other username was before I joined Rennlist. Like I said before if you read the starting thread I am the one that is being straight foward with the repair and looking for offers to sell the car . Thats it. I didnt ask for any opinions of the value. By the way ,anyone that thinks the car is only worth 30K is beyond clueless
Well, in that case, post the sale price once you sell it. I would be surprised if it brings anything in the $40's.

Like others have said, presenting some images of the extent of the damage would be telling and very forthcoming. I think we all hope you get top dollar, as it does help establish value. I hope you get top dollar for the same reason.

Based upon my experience of buying and selling 993's, as well as helping many other folks buy and sell 993's, high $40's is just too much for a car with shady accident history, C2S or not.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, any history of accident damage is a major knock against such a collector car. Those looking for a 30k mile example are looking for pristine, even though the damage may be in your mind negligible and now fixed, the buyer of a super low mileage C2S is only willing to pay the super-premium on price for pristine. If you are willing to wait for the right buyer you may approach the neighborhood of your asking price, this will take time. I sympathize, your car is likely very nice.

Quick Reply: Unloading Carrera S