Sponsored by:

A call for criticism! Short WGI video - 1st G50 930 session

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts
Default A call for criticism! Short WGI video - 1st G50 930 session

A little fodder to give some of you guys something to do as our season here is about over.. I'd especially like to hear from turbo guys like Brian KS, Colin, etc. but welcome input from all... even Larry!

It's short and the quality isn't great. My first run session in the 930 with the new 5 speed. You can skip the 1st 1/2, it's just follow the leader DE crap.

http://www.icer.net/WGI_10-22-07_930.mp4

Sean F. already commented i'm early into 10 and very late into 11..
Old 10-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'd especially like to hear from turbo guys like Brian KS, Colin, etc. but welcome input from all... even Larry!
Ok, your video stinks. Get a better camera!

Actually you looked smooth and the lines were good from what I could see. It seemed like you were cruising around as there was no urgency to your braking, and the throttle application though early enough, seemed light until you got well around the corners. Of course I don't drive a turbo, so what do I know.

One other point is that there is more speed throught the bus stop if you would take more of the right side curbing so that you could take a shallower line past the left side curbs. This would make your whole line flatter through it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd recommend that you use all of the track from turn in to track out including the extra pavement in turns like the toe and the off camber (9).

In turn 2, you may want to shoft shift the car between 1 and 2 which will allow you to go flat through the esses and will keep the car steady on transition between 2 and 3 rather than lifting. You'll probably carry more speed and the car will feel better.

Get the car on the rumble strips entering the busstop, you can trail brake forever there.

Turn 10 you should track out so your right front wheel is between the concrete square and the rumble strips and you can be on the gas earlier than you are currently.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Excellent! I mess the camera up every time, either I leave it on pause, leave it in the trailer, run it out of tape, or hit the zoom somehow (it has a wide angle lens with a filter if you can believe it!).

Larry - I'm in 3rd during all cornering, which just seems to be slightly too high but I may subconsciously be easing into the throttle more than I should. I also may need to raise the boost up (it's only .6 bar) though it starts to come on by 3K RPM and pulls pretty strong. In my G car it's simply on or off most times. The darn 930 is TOO quiet!

By "take more of the right side curbing" do you mean turn in earlier off the back straight and get higher on it when entering the BS?

Geoffrey - The toe is a sore spot with me, I don't ever feel like I got it "right". I'll see if I can't get over a bit more before 9. I'm pretty sure the RPM is too low to hit 4th before turn 2. I *think* im at about 4K there in 3rd as i'm at 6K when I shift at the top (as soon as the car settles after peak of the left hander). I don't think I actually lift in 2 but I go easier increasing throttle (more than I need to i'm sure) and squeeze it to the floor about midpoint.

Sounds like I need to turn into BS a bit earlier / tighter if I am reading you and Larry correctly.

I think that by the end of the day I was entering 10 with a brush on the brake and ending up where you are talking about. My turn in was about the same, just carried more speed in and ended up farther out. Do you guys think I was early/late into 10 or 11?

Thanks! Keep it coming, I'll be bench racing WGI for months!

Last edited by Gary R.; 10-26-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:35 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice driving Gary....

The pumpkin sounds and looks good, I only wish you had a wider lens to capture more of the track and your steering inputs.....

Keep up the good work......
Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Nice driving Gary....

The pumpkin sounds and looks good, I only wish you had a wider lens to capture more of the track and your steering inputs.....

Keep up the good work......
.... That IS a wide angle lens, but some idiot (guess who) hit the zoom and it looks smaller than my lipstick cam! The Cheeto is WAY too quiet, but a buddy from the Pelican board is sending me a SS flange and i'm making a big-*** straight pipe right off the turbo, no muffler. That should bring it up into an audible range.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

My comments apply to the last lap on this clip

1) You start breaking at the llight on the front straight! You can brake down around the 3 marker.
2) You have to be flat out in the esses. From where you shift in pansy mode, I would say you should start off by short shifting into T2 and then going flat out for the rest. Eventually I think you can stay in the current gear and just shift in between T2 & T3.
3) You tun in too late into the busstop. trail brake more and turn in earlier. That flattens out the arc.

4) You do a good job of not tracking out too far after the busstop, but you fail to "stuff it in there good" (David Murray's words of advice to me on how to drive that turn). See how you are out in no-mans land?

5) The laces looks good. You could use a little more track, but nothing major here.

6) In the toe, your taking the hospital line. You start tracking out waaaaay too early, which is why you are not on the power. You should be in tight and on the juice full bore a little before the apex. It will stick. You basically have infinite rear grip if you are on the gas in a turbo (credit to DrJupe for that line).

7) You also must be in way too high of a gear in the toe, because you never need to shift goign down the straight. I used to take that turn in 2nd or 3rd, depending on how hard I wanted to be on the tranny. So you should be doing at least 1, maybe 2 shifts.

8) In the fast left, you are late getting back on the gas. It's a tap & go...use the boost! Also, you don't track all the way out here, which will end up nicht gut when you are going faster.

9) on to the front straight, it is a very faster turn. If you don't need to use all the rumbles at track out, you can go faster.

Just remember...you asked for comments

Trending Topics

Old 10-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

HAHAHAHA.. love it.

1. Ok, not sure if I actually brake at the light but i'll try going deeper into 1. I'm not overly confident in these 930 brakes yet, they don't seem as good as my SC's for some reason.. require more effort.

2. Pansy mode! LOL .. I go through T1 in 3rd don't shift until just past the crest of the left hander (just over 6K) as I enter the right that leads into the back straight. I don't peg it into 2 but I am constantly increasing throttle and I am to the floor by #2's exit..

3. Gotcha. From your picture I see what you, Larry, and Geoffrey are saying. Take a good bite out of the 1st curb and the setup is there for the other 3. Great example!

4. I will have no trouble tucking in tighter in the carousel and look forward to it next time out.

5. Laces feel great and as I put more speed in I get more track out..

6. Toe and I have a love/hate relationship with a tight line. I'll experiment and try dropping into 2nd gear as 3rd won't work in tight.

7. Yep (see #6)

8. Think of that line with more power and it works. I was in "pansy mode" that lap but the same line, as you said, using power puts the car exactly where i'm told it should be.

9. Yep. I was up on top of the "hump" a couple of time later on, I know I can take it faster. I actually have the most trouble with T1 and T7 mentally..

Thanks a million for the input Colin, I REALLY appreciate it and the time you obviously put into doing it!
Old 10-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Just remember...you asked for comments
Great dissection of his lap Colin. You certainly have a good eye for the video.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:57 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

He really did a nice job... but I am still up for more! My only problem with the car is I don't have enough power, must be that boat-anchor K27 I got from Colin!

I actually love the car, but I may have to re-gear her or get a different differential. I'd like to be short shifting 5th on the back straight... never see it as it is.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
He really did a nice job... but I am still up for more! My only problem with the car is I don't have enough power, must be that boat-anchor K27 I got from Colin!

I actually love the car, but I may have to re-gear her or get a different differential. I'd like to be short shifting 5th on the back straight... never see it as it is.
Gary, Colin is a good guy to get in your right seat at WGI also, as he helps apply those same thoughts in real time. He did, however, refrain from using the word "pansy" when commenting on to me about not being flat out from 1 to the back straight in my old car, which seems to work now that I lost 600 lbs.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Colin, how much is too much curb going into the bustop? In my last race, I found myself trying to really cheat it and going on the dirt. Pretty much where the cone is in the pictures above. It's a rough ride, but the rear seemed okay even with the big hop because you have less steering input.

In 5, when and how hard are you back on throttle. I've used the stuff it in there line in race and got passed on the outside. I come out of the bustop full throttle, lift to 50% throttle right as I turn in and then start to feed the throttle so I'm back on full throttle prior to the apex.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:39 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Colin, how much is too much curb going into the bustop? In my last race, I found myself trying to really cheat it and going on the dirt. Pretty much where the cone is in the pictures above. It's a rough ride, but the rear seemed okay even with the big hop because you have less steering input.

In 5, when and how hard are you back on throttle. I've used the stuff it in there line in race and got passed on the outside. I come out of the bustop full throttle, lift to 50% throttle right as I turn in and then start to feed the throttle so I'm back on full throttle prior to the apex.
If you're stuffing it in and been passed on the outside, you're going way too slowly. Don't lift to 50% out of the bus stop, stay on it and perhaps tap your brakes to settle the car and help with the initial turn-in. Then get back on the gas and be full by the apex. Being passed on the outside there is a

Sorry I can't show any good video from the Glen this past year. My camera skipped too much. Since Colin is a follower (), I think he has good video of me demonstrating the technique, though.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Charlie. What happened was that since I took the stuff it in line, the guy went wide outside me and gained on me when I lifted for an earlier turn in. He went straight and deep, lifted and turned in much later so we were side by side through the apex. I had no choice but give him track out. In that turn I'm on full throttle as soon as I can see the apex.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

This is all great stuff! I fully intend on getting as many of you guys in the car as I can next year. It really is a whole new ball game from the SC, not that I don't need help with that too!

Bull, you must be skinny as a rail now! 600lbs!

Quick Reply: A call for criticism! Short WGI video - 1st G50 930 session