Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Its official, add me to the RMS leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:40 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Its official, add me to the RMS leak

Well its official add me to the list of the 997's with a RMS leak. I finally took the car in today and they told me it was the RMS. the dealer told me he wanted the car for a few days as they were going to drop the motor. I asked him if he had come across this yet and he said yes mostly 996's but did have one prior 997 gt3. I told him to keep it for awhile ad do it right. he commented that apparently some of the seals are not properly installed not seated properly at the factory. I have just 2700 mils. I noticed a small leak at about 1000. I have to make a quick decsion on a LWF upgrade. Anyone who has done this is it worth the buck?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It definitely improves throttle response but the noise, at idle with the clutch out, is really annoying IMHO. If it's a track car; no big deal. On a street car, it's annoying.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:45 AM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the club! My RS is at the dealer right now, getting the RMS replacement. Consistent with other posts here on RL, my dealer said it did not need to actually drop the engine to replace the seal.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

congrats. only the fast GT3/RS have RMS leaks.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Mine was done as well..engine not dropped, done in 1 day no big deal.
Not a drop since. Get it fixed and you're done...go enjoy the car.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Well its official add me to the list of the 997's with a RMS leak. I finally took the car in today and they told me it was the RMS. the dealer told me he wanted the car for a few days as they were going to drop the motor. I asked him if he had come across this yet and he said yes mostly 996's but did have one prior 997 gt3. I told him to keep it for awhile ad do it right. he commented that apparently some of the seals are not properly installed not seated properly at the factory. I have just 2700 mils. I noticed a small leak at about 1000. I have to make a quick decsion on a LWF upgrade. Anyone who has done this is it worth the buck?
It is amazing that they can't get this part correct.

I had mine done at 9000miles, with another 3000miles on the car and 3 track days it is dry so far.

I did the lwfw and would do it again.

Have your dealer order the parts - should only take a few days.

Other cars that I have owned that I have installed lwfws in, the most annoying thing was the tranny gear sound that would take place when you were in any gear but 1st if the rpms dropped below usually 2200rpms (the taking off from a stop sign in second gear issue as you go through a neighbourhood - this drove me crazy because it made the car sound like a piece of junk)

With this 997gt3, the RS lwfw does not make this ingear low rpm sound - but as posted above it will make the muffled pebble in a tin can sound (most of the time - however not all of the time) when the car is in neutral with your foot fully off the clutch - because i was expecting the far worse ingear sound this was a very pleasant positive surprise and i actually think suits the nature of "my car" as it has the 996gt3 seats, harnesses and rollbar.

The lwfw is also not going to cause you to stall the car as you can still just take your foot off the clutch with no gas and the car will go forward and not stall - so no downside here.

Would a sane person do this? no because you will not be able to report of tangible improvements in performance - but, it just adds to the overall enjoyment of driving the car which is 95% of the fun.

Paul
Old 12-13-2007, 11:32 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
Welcome to the club! My RS is at the dealer right now, getting the RMS replacement. Consistent with other posts here on RL, my dealer said it did not need to actually drop the engine to replace the seal.
woo....i like your photo with tons of GT3/CUP whatever, do you have a bigger one?
thanks.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:05 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I wonder why my Dealer is telling me they have to drop the engine? I have read the other posts too that say they did not have to completely drop engine. I don't want t go tell them how to do it so to speak but not a confidence builder if they are going to tear it down further than necessary to fix it. He may just be buying time to get the part in but I wonder if they know what they are doing.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:40 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder why my Dealer is telling me they have to drop the engine? I have read the other posts too that say they did not have to completely drop engine. I don't want t go tell them how to do it so to speak but not a confidence builder if they are going to tear it down further than necessary to fix it. He may just be buying time to get the part in but I wonder if they know what they are doing.
Maybe they're not too swift? Any other dealers you can call or take it to?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Because... the factory "book time" will reimburse them for dropping the engine. The tech won't if he's experienced -- that way he may make some money on this job, which makes up for all those warranty jobs where the book time is inadequate to cover the actual time expended to do the work.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:04 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that true that if the crankshaft and the main bearings in the RMS are off-centered by 0.030" Porsche will replace the engine because it will contine to leak time after time?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Is that true that if the crankshaft and the main bearings in the RMS are off-centered by 0.030" Porsche will replace the engine because it will contine to leak time after time?
It's my understanding that was the case with the older Boxster/996 (non-dry sump) motors.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMS GT2
It definitely improves throttle response but the noise, at idle with the clutch out, is really annoying IMHO. If it's a track car; no big deal. On a street car, it's annoying.
With all due respect I disagree.

IMO it's not loud at all and what ever you can hear is something that you should be hearing in a sports car. That kind of mechanical "clatter" IMO is great and belongs to a Porsche 911.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

I had the RMS seal replaced in my 996 GT3 and the dealer did not remove the motor, however it leaked again. I sold the car so don't know what happened after the second repair.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:05 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

re RMS - I had mine replaced a week ago. Leak happened ~ 9,500 miles. And yes they dropped the engine. Techs did a great job. So far so good.

re the LWFW "chatter"...it's not loud and sometimes I have to strain to hear it.

Quick Reply: Its official, add me to the RMS leak