Sponsored by:

Side panel removal - Pics added

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Side panel removal - Pics added

OK, guys. This is the continuing saga of making my C4S more track worthy.

Got the power seats out, and am in the process of installing the tequipment roll bar. This calls for removing the rear side panel, the one with the speaker in it under the quarter glass, to access the lower trim that needs to be cut. Got my fingers under the panel and gave it several good tugs. No go. Feels pretty tight. I can't find any clips or screws. I even removed the speaker.

Maybe I just am too wimpy and need to tug harder, or need to tug a certain way, or need a trick I don't know about. Any help or insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Palting; 01-19-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

First remove the side pillar cover and then the side panel:
Attached Images     
Old 01-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Holy smokes!! That's what I call help! I am blown away. Thanks a million, Doug. I'll name my first child after you .
Old 01-12-2008, 04:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
First remove the side pillar cover and then the side panel:
Nice Doug!

Originally Posted by Palting
Holy smokes!! That's what I call help! I am blown away. Thanks a million, Doug. I'll name my first child after you .
Palting, why would you want to name you kid "Donsbach?" J/K!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

What's wrong with "Donsbach" ? Heh-heh

Man, these Porsches are put together with awesome, simply awesome, attention to detail. I spend more time admiring the little touches in each part I take off than in actually taking the part out.

Anyway, I got a little chuckle story I'll put in another thread.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Palting.... did you see the youtube video on a tequipement install how to??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI2eZjKpYd4

and also the RennTech how to thread? http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...t=0&#entry2884
Old 01-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Hi Paul. Yup, that renntech article, together with the GT3 seat instal by CarreraMike, are my bible for this project. The side panel removal was a little vague in the renntech thread, hence this thread. This is the first time I've seen the youtube how to video. Thanks for the link.

The youtube guy did the first panel removal backasswards, as they say. He did better with the second panel. Too bad he didn't have the help I got from Dough. If he did, the first panel removal would have gone well too. Otherwise excellent and helpful video. I can just see myself in his shoes, particularly where he calls parts this or that "thingie", or when he bumps his head on the door sill and goes "Owuh". Particularly helpful was how he brought in and settled the cage. I'm a little worried about my sunroof, since there didn't seem to be too much headroom in his sunroof-less GT3 to roll in the cage, and there is less headroom with a sunroof car.

Last edited by Palting; 01-13-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

UPDATE.

BWAHHAHHA! It's in! After some anxiety, bruised knuckles and what not, the roll bar is in!!

Thank you to you all. Could not have done it, would not even have attempted it, without the backing of the Rennlist boys/gals.

Had a little more to do since I have a C4S with power seats. Took all the rear seats out, along with their hardware. Took the rear seat belts out, which i would not have attempted if I did not have Doug's diagrams about removing the rear trim.

The only difficult part was removing the various trims, then replacing them and making sure all the various fasteners were intact. The roll bar placement itself, despite prior claims of cracked windshields and torn headiiners by other posters, actually went pretty easy. Thanks for the video Sparky. That was a huge boost in confidence by actually SEEING how it is rotated in.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Palting
UPDATE.

BWAHHAHHA! It's in! After some anxiety, bruised knuckles and what not, the roll bar is in!!

Thank you to you all. Could not have done it, would not even have attempted it, without the backing of the Rennlist boys/gals.

Had a little more to do since I have a C4S with power seats. Took all the rear seats out, along with their hardware. Took the rear seat belts out, which i would not have attempted if I did not have Doug's diagrams about removing the rear trim.

The only difficult part was removing the various trims, then replacing them and making sure all the various fasteners were intact. The roll bar placement itself, despite prior claims of cracked windshields and torn headiiners by other posters, actually went pretty easy. Thanks for the video Sparky. That was a huge boost in confidence by actually SEEING how it is rotated in.
Paulting

WTF, no pics???
Old 01-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Paulting

WTF, no pics???
Geez. Tough crowd . Kinda expected the admonishment, though.

I still have the seats and harness to install. Since those are, like, can be done blindfolded, and it's the dead of winter here in Ohio, I'm gonna do them when the weather warms up a bit. Then I'll post pics. I promise.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

OK, Tim. As promised. Decided to show the empty rear as well. I'm thinking I should have put a dark scree behind the slot for the rear upper seat belts, so the inside doesn't show. Oh, well. 20/20 hindsight. maybe it's sexier this way: flashing through a peephole.
Attached Images     
Old 01-20-2008, 01:59 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Palting,

Nice job! The seats and the roll bar look great! I guess you could still tuck some black cloth in behind the rear seatbelt openings, which would make them less noticable.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet... man i wish i had a coupe... i would be doing the same thing.... can't do much with a cab for tracking......well... not for me though
Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

That Tequipment roll bar is actually designed for the cab, and for the coupe with the Bose system.

It would work fine with your cab. Rock and roll!!!

Quick Reply: Side panel removal - Pics added