Sponsored by:

My 2cents on batteries *UPDATED*

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2cents on batteries *UPDATED thread #48 with pics*

I have completed my battery upgrade with pics later in this thread. Lets just say it was confusing. The reader may benefit from the pics however so I went ahead and updated this thread. What follows is the original text, new threads at the end:
I am sick of Porsche battery problems and discussion (so why AM I starting one??!!). I have now killed my GT3 battery twice but resucitated it each time. I also killed my 996 C2 battery once, or actually it was nearly dead when they sold me the car. Anyways, batteries do not do well in a modern Porsche. They really don't do well if you leave the key in the ignition. They also don't do well if you lock the car for a while. All the Rennlist discussion regarding batteries was fun for a while but you know.....weeding out opinion from fact, etc, etc....
Right now my battery is on the same life support we all find we need to use, a trickle charger. I have essentially given it two full on discharges, a batteries equivalent of a heart attack. I have once again searched all the threads. Optima, Oddessy, Interstate, etc. Here is my conclusion and to each there own but I have better things to do than put more work into this:
Optima does not vent to the outside. The Porsche wants to be vented. Does it have to? Who knows. The car sits in the garage all winter with no air flow, on on a charger (when I am not too stupid to remember to use one). I'm thinking the venting is not a bad idea. Optima also has fitment issues which of course you can work around with some phone calls and waiting for parts. Oddessy, Interstate, good...yes no, maybe...whatever.
I am going down to Advance Auto which is ten minutes from here and getting their direct fit, vented and three year guarranteed off the shelf battery. The web says they carry "Autocraft". I don't care anymore. It will fit, it will vent, it's $100.00 LESS than an Optima and it will be covered for THREE years. If it weighs more I will never notice it. 15 pounds is 2 gallons of gas from the same longitudinal position on the car. I burn that in what, a few laps? Who cares. I need to remember how to take care of the battery I do put in and will now have more time to focus on real issues....like my worn rear rotors, etc. Problem is, if I don't get the trophy at my next DE event I'll regret this decision but you know what? My car will start and I can load it up and go home.

Last edited by CT03911; 02-19-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: pics/ clarification thread
Old 02-01-2008, 01:24 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you go girl!

get down with your bad self
Old 02-01-2008, 01:48 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I sense your frustrations. I keep my car on "life suppor" all year long and have grown relativelu comfortable with that. Perhaps I accept too much...

Keep us posted on how this new battery works out. I used to put a DieHard in my 79 SC and it worked really well. In fact, the more I think about it, the more angry I become over those pesky battery issues... Here here!

-B
Old 02-01-2008, 02:26 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
you go girl!

get down with your bad self
I was just being sarcastic... I can sense the frustration...

I am in a similar position... I have the Porsche trickle charger hanging from the retractable extension cord in the ceiling of my garage...

reminded me that I need to plug it in...
Old 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The car is not the one in need of venting, is the stock battery. An Optima does not need venting.

Regarding Die Hard, InterState, etc. They are all made by the same manufacturer. I bought a Die Hard, plugged the vents and after a few days of decent driving, it spilled acid on the battery tray, I was not happy about that.

On my optima picture, you can see the damage done by the DieHard battery.

So, on your 10 minutes trip, get an acid resistance mat to put on the battery tray, because it will spill acid as soon as that car takes Lime Rock below 70 seconds per lap.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Now this is even crazier. Advance Auto's replacement batteries are not only significantly longer but a totally different class it seems from what the dealer put in my CPO car. I have the Moll 570/65 70ah 340A marked battery. Advance Auto says hat is way too small for my car and not OEM anyways. Wonder what the dealer would say but they are closed
They also have the Optima even though the Optima web site did not show them as a retailer. So, back home I went with my dead or at least dying battery and called Optima in Colorado 888 867 8462. They are sending me the Optima din45 Euro adapter. I will go back and pick up the Optima battery at Advance, which is $50.00 dollars cheaper at $137.00 than a retailer their own web sit was sending me to. That guy didn't have one anyways, and was going to order it.
I have not had any problems with my car drooling acid from the Moll battery in sub 70 second Lime Rock laps but I for sure don't need to mount something way bigger than is currently in there. I also know the car doesn't need to vent (maybe I do, or just bang my head on the wall ). Obviously it is the battery that vents. One source somewhere lead me to believe even a gell like the Optima vents which made me cautious. Right now I want easy and if Optima actually does send me a Euro adapter then I will go to Advance and buy the battery and forget about venting.
I am trying to remember this is all about me leaving the key in the ignition
Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you rang optima did you not ask them about venting? Would be good to hear their take.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:13 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Optima batteries are totally sealed..no venting required
Old 02-01-2008, 07:31 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Reading this thread, I'm reminded that I've never had a battery issue, but the car is 3 1/2 years old, so it's bound to go dead soon. If you would, could you list the Optima battery part # for those that still have to go down this path. thanks.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:43 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

if you go redtop..then the 34R (reverse polarity) is the one you want and you will have to contact optima for the european mounting adaptors...you can also go yellow top but I am not sure of which model...mine will be here from GMG (including their super mounting bracket) next week and I'll let you know which model of the yellow top they are using....
Old 02-02-2008, 11:50 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Chuck - what does reverse polarity mean in the context of an optima battery?

Also anyone know the difference in capacity between one of these and the OEM one?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:10 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

typically US batteries have the positive pole on the right end of the battery...the 996 uses a battery that has the positive pole on the left end...the cables are not long enough for you to run them to opposite ends without modification so a reverse polarity battery, with the positive terminal on the left end is best...the red top is 720-800 cold crank amps...the yellow top is a deep cycle and probably better suited for a street car....the stocker is around 600 cca...I have had an Optima Red Top in my Shelby for more than 10 years...needs a brief trickle charge if I don't drive it much...these batteries like daily use....
Old 02-03-2008, 02:18 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

expensive...but clean, solidly mounted and good juice
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2008, 12:35 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Chuck, good info. Is the optima adaptor not considered robust enough?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:54 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Dan, NJ Gt could answer that one better than I...I believe he has used them...I think they are plastic and that would bother me for track use in case of a flip

Quick Reply: My 2cents on batteries *UPDATED*