964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Tial Wastegate, questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:44 AM
turboholic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tial Wastegate, questions

I plan to fit GSF headers soon and to replace the original Wastegate with a Tial 46mm. I searched the forum and learned that for a perfect fit the narrow version is the best choice. I shopped around but nobody seems to have this version in stock. Can I also fit the "normal" shaped version of the Tial 46, especially with the new headers? Also I want to decat the wastegate pipe, any advice where to order this from? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 PM
turboholic
Racer

-Update-
Just ordered the WG decat from SCART, any suggestions regarding the wastegate?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:30 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

turboholic,

I've been through the same search regarding the wastegate. In the end I purchased a Tial copy albeit with a genuine tial spring. These have been fitted by a number of others without any issue and at $79 a lot cheaper. There are plenty who will say you should only fit a Tial (I'm sure you know their prices by now) I don't understand why a Tial is the only one that should be used, when 1000's of other tuners (non Porsche) have no problems with cheaper versions. No doubt a good flamming is on its way!!

All I can say for the kit I bought, the quality is excellent, the fitment spot on, and the service from the supplier excellent. If you are interested let me know and I can supply the link.

By the way I bought a w/g cat bypass from designTek in the UK for approx £150, how much are the Scart ones?

Steve
Old 03-13-2008, 02:50 PM
turboholic
Racer

The Scart one costs 200GBP shipped to Germany, which is a bit more expensive. I knew about the DesignTek products but I couldnt remember their name and so I couldnt find their website, anyway, shipped to Germany the DesignTek pipe would cost me approx 170GBP.
I know that there are plenty of Tialcopies around, especially on Ebay, but its the first time that I hear somebody say that it is a good product.
I am interested and will need the WG very soon, you can post the link or send me PM if you like.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:51 PM
stu.p
Racer

+1 on the wastegate!
Have fitted a non tial branded one although used a 0.8 bar spring purchased from tial.Run this for a good several miles now and as biglicks says works great!,have also fitted headers etc so my 0.8 bar spring holds steadily just below 1 bar boost pressure.Gutted my original wastegate bypass so no boost spike either now
There are more than 1 version of tial copy wastegates out there it is to be noted so i can only say the one that i have purchased seems to be spot on.
Manufactured engineering components all my life,Stripped this wastegate down to find it is very well made and all components internally seem more than up to the job!!.

46mm wastegate with cooling fins,last item on page 1,,i would purchase your correct spring though from TIAL or imagine auto etc,spring supplied is too weak

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1544
Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wastegate was shot and as a new Porsche one was £1,500, is very old technology and weighs so much, I bought a narrow bodied Tial 46mm for £315 from Imagineauto in the US. That cost included shipping to the UK, duty and VAT. The Tial is absolutely beautifully made, fits perfectly and has years of proven use all over the World.

Ultimately, if you ever come to sell your car, what do think a prospective purchaser would rather see - a recognised upgrade from a reputable manufacturer who spends a lot of time and money on R&D on the road and at the track, or a non-branded Chinese knock-off?

All IMHO of course.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
turboholic
Racer

Originally Posted by stu.p
+1 on the wastegate!
have also fitted headers etc so my 0.8 bar spring holds steadily just below 1 bar boost pressure.Gutted my original wastegate bypass so no boost spike either nowhttp://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1544
I plan to stay at 0,7bar with headers and to adjust from the cockpit with an electronic boostcontroller up to 1bar if required, does that mean that I need a 0,5bar spring to get 0,7bar with headers and no cat?
Those products are a real bargain compared to the Tial, I dont care if it doesnt look exactly the same, it only has to work properly.
Maybe the only thing I´ll order from Tial is the 0,5bar spring
On the other hand tjr is correct regarding the beautiful looks of the original Tial and the quality rating.
This is going to be one tough decision.
The problem is nobody seems to stock the narrow-bodied Tial and it would take 2 weeks for imagineauto to ship it out to me, but my headers and other bits are already on their way.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

turboholic, well done on the mods choice, especially the Scart cat

My w/g pipe was from Inox from ebay and my previous garage says it didn't fit and had to adjust it (not sure if that's true). Spend the extra £30 and get the Scart, you know its good.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turboholic
I plan to stay at 0,7bar with headers and to adjust from the cockpit with an electronic boostcontroller up to 1bar if required, does that mean that I need a 0,5bar spring to get 0,7bar with headers and no cat?
Those products are a real bargain compared to the Tial, I dont care if it doesnt look exactly the same, it only has to work properly.
On the other hand tjr is correct regarding the beautiful looks of the original Tial and the quality rating.
The problem is nobody seems to stock the narrow-bodied Tial and it would take 2 weeks for imagineauto to ship it out to me, but my headers and other bits are already on their way.
With a standard engine and new headers, you shouldn't go higher than a 0.8 bar spring if you want a long-lasting and reliable engine. I don't really see the point of having a boost controller - surely you are going to run it at maximum available boost all the time anyway? If I were you, I'd spend the money on a Tial instead...and as I don't think any of the knock-offs are narrow bodied and presumably they fit OK, I would think that the ordinary 46mm Tial will also fit OK. I'm sure someone else can confirm?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:31 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turboholic
the ssautochrome comes with 0.5bar as standard, no need to buy any other spring, if that's the way you want to go. Mine has 0.9 but with original headers. If I get new headers I'll drop the spring rate.

Perhaps I'm ill informed but I knew nothing of Tial when I bought my 965 so it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to me what was on the car. I think any replacement verses a 17/18 year old original would be seen as a plus point.

Apart from that I've never heard/read any info that says tial is a superior product in terms of what it is built to do. Perhaps someone esle can chip in with the definitive proof.

Steve
Old 03-13-2008, 05:31 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

Yes I have a stock tial could not see paying more for "Porsche tail". And had no problems pulling valve cover also its only 4 bolts and it comes off you run a straight pipe. This is on B&B headers..
Old 03-13-2008, 06:24 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kleinbbc2
Yes I have a stock tial could not see paying more for "Porsche tail". And had no problems pulling valve cover also its only 4 bolts and it comes off you run a straight pipe. This is on B&B headers..
They are actually the same price (at least from Imagineauto)
Old 03-13-2008, 07:14 PM
stu.p
Racer

I have invested many many in hours rebuilding my engine with all the best components etc and can see the worth of using all the correct upgraded parts i have used e.g ARP headstuds and rod bolts etc etc..However when it came to fiiting a new wastegate to replace my old looking original that i had no idea what condition it was in?..I thought i could no wrong in purchasing the cheaper brand of wastegate to investigate when basically its just a valve,diaphram and a spring..
I then stripped/opened my nearly 1 quarter of the price wastegate to find the one i purchased looked excellent although wasnt so sure about the spring rate......so what i done was ordered a TIAL spring..
Fitted wastegate then to find it works perfect and my wallet is heavy again!.
Job done!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:05 AM
turboholic
Racer

Thanks all for your input.
I ordered a cheap wastegate from ssautochrome, but I will replace the spring against an original Tial one (0,5bar), with that I should get 0,7bar including the other mods. Maybe the WG doesnt look exactly the same as the Tial, but it will do its job UNDER the car and if I ever sell the car the buyer will be pleased to see new parts at all I guess. If I dont like the ssautochrome for some reason it will not be a big loss of money (79$ + shipping) and I can still order the original Tial unit.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

wait until you get the kit, I was suprised at how well it was all packaged. Don't be so shocked when you see the instructions which look remarkably like the Tial ones!!!!

Steve

Quick Reply: Tial Wastegate, questions