Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Gearbox Exchange now being offered.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox Exchange now being offered.

Hey everyone,

We finally have our gearbox exchange program in full effect.

Here is how it works. Call me with the gearbox type, or year and model, pay for the gearbox, which comes with a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty. I will send it to you immediately in most cases, you put your core back into the crate that it is sent out in, and I have it picked up from you.

This is a great program for those of you that do not want to have your car down for extended amounts of time while your gearbox is being rebuilt.

901 & 915 gearbox pricing $2,750 with exchange
G50 5 speed gearbox pricing $3,750 with exchange

These are completely rebuilt gearboxes of the highest quality and ready to install, just add oil.

Call me with any questions that you might have. I love my job and would very much like the opportunity to discuss your options here with Carquip. We have been in business for the last 35 years or so. Ask around I am sure that you will be able to find several people that have had great success with our company in the past.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2
(720) 980-9407 cell.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Erik, I assume you're adding shipping to / from for that price, correct?

FYI for anyone looking into this, I recently (last 30 days) got a quote from a highly recommended local place that was $1,000 labor, $2,000-$3000 for parts, I bring the trans to him, and we were looking at 3 weeks before he cracked the case.

I ended up bringing the car to another local guy I'd already checked out. I'm still waiting for the final tally as I had a few other things while it was in the shop (ride height, align, corner balance, oil lines, etc. etc. - we'll see what that total is.

Erik's pricing's right there, FWIW. Assuming the quality's also there, if you're considering DIY, here's a viable alternative to check out - might work for you.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the Carquip located in Boulder, Colorado?

I spoke with a guy there in the past named Tom Conway on an old 356, was way back in the day. Was one of the coolest guys I spoke too and his knowledge seemed pretty vast on classic Porsche's...from my understanding he either built or guided some concourse winning Porsches.

BTW, are the rebuild transmissions done in-house?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

That's a great service and reasonable price Erik, wish you were in Oz, good luck with the program.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Vino, we are one and the same. Tom Conway is still the owner, and yes the gearboxes are done here in house under the highest of tolerances. I am sure that anyone desiring to go this direction will not be dissatisfied.

Thanks for the nice words all.

Erik @ Carquip
Old 04-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

We are happy to ship anywhere in the world, as well.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Vino
Racer

Erik,

Gald to know it's the Carquip I was thinking of!

I always see the garage open with some classic outside on sunny days but never figured you do much outside the restoration field or work on cars built after the 1960's......

Your prices look great and I'd be happy to pass on a good word to any of the locals or here on the boards, I'll try to swing by one of these days.

BTW, do you guys by chance service Porsche's in general or are you just doing particular work like restoration and such, since you are a sponsor please give more info!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Well we have kind of changed our direction just a little here at Carquip. We still have several new and used parts ranging from 356 to 996, but our main efforts these days are in gearing solutions, as well as transaxles. We have a very very good selection at the moment of ready to go gearboxes, with or without LSD. Everything we sell transaxle and gearing carries a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. We believe in doing things right the first time, and I have several incredibly good techs here to ensure that happens every time.

As for me, well I tend to specialize in the gearing and transaxles, as well as LSD's. Glenn and Tom take pretty much the rest of the requests. We don't really do too much work outside of rebuilding engines and transaxles, but I have a really good person for you if you need one. Top notch and completely honest. Let me know if I can be of any help to anyone.

Gearing availability right now is in 901, 915, 930, G50, 996, and soon Cayman gearing. Things here are really exciting we have experienced incredible growth here in the last 6 months since we put together our new team. We all love our jobs, (no one quite as much as me though, hehehe) and hope to help where ever we can.

Warmest Regards, to everyone. Porsche - There really is not Substitute, for the cars or the people that love them.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2
(720) 980-9407 cell
Old 04-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Please define rebuilt. What parts are replaced, and what is reused?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Hi there Ed,

Thanks for the question. What parts are replaced? Well as we warranty everything that leaves here for 12 month / 12,000 miles we are very detailed in what we do. We replace the bearings, synchro rings, dogrings if needed, all seals. We examine the ring and pinion for proper set up and wear to ensure that there are no issues, as well as all of the internals.

If you have additional questions feel free to contact me directly and I will happy to address any concerns or questions directly with you.

Hope that this information has been helpful.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell
Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

no offense... but if I spend $$$ it better last alot longer than 12,000 miles... and every synchro , bearing, dogtooth or part that possibly goes bad should be replaced... whether it "needs" it or not... otherwise when something goes wrong at 25k or 30k youll be doing it all over again... instead of getting the 90-100k you should get from it... would be better to replace everything that "wears" and charge alittle more... If you drive a Pcar... you expect to spend 4-6k on a trans rebuild... just my .02.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Brad to be fair to Eric I think that was a little Harsh ... I do agree with some of your points but I expect to get a lot more out of a TV set that the one year warranty and a lot further out if a car than the 60,000km warranty. I think if Eric stands behind his product for 12months or 12,000 miles , I would be comfortable I didn't get a lemon. But i do agree seams a little inexpensive and I would have expected to pay more .. but ya never know ..
Old 04-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I stand rebuked Iceman. I agree, i read my messages and it is abit harsh... that said.. Id rather spend 1k more and have all the "wear" parts replaced...
Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

agreed..I can't speak for Erik but that possibly could be an option .. I would ceratinly consider it if it were.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

OK, guys, in all fairness to everyone, every once in a while (yes, those moments will become fewer and further apart) you take a 915 apart that shows no wear other than the reason that it was disassembled - a blown 1st or 2nd synchro. There is no way to predict this, of course, but when you're a volume rebuilder you work with averages, not individual units. If you have sufficient cores you might be able to find a replacement for that bad 5th gear in your inventory of gear sets, rather than pay for a new gear that costs upwards of $900. A builder has to charge something for that 5th gear, even if it's only $300. Regarding bearings, you must be a student of the 915 to know what's needed, and you must know how to evaluate the needle bearings that each non-fixed gear turns on. You must know that 95% of 915s being rebuilt today don't receive the pinion bearing reinforcement that I've talked about, and 95% of those need it. You must know the difference in pre-load between *** and SKF differential carrier bearings, and how to identify a ring of dog teeth that will probably make it another 100K miles. Some synchro rings might measure within factory tolerance, but if one of those rings has chunks of friction material missing it's a throw-away. In the case of an exchange, the repairs made to that specific box should be made known.

The same for G 50s, the factory has provided us with a way to measure synchro wear, and every repaired transmission must have every gear qualify as "good to go." Unlike engines, which wear out at fairly consistent rates, every transmission either wears out naturally while being used correctly, or it's broken due to the way that it's used or abused. No two transmissions will be the same...

As fewer and fewer cars are available to part out, "core" transmissions will become much harder to find, and the supply of good, used parts will dwindle. As more cars fitted with the 915 are changed from driver to toy status, fewer transmissions will need to be repaired, so aftermarket suppliers will find their inventory of 915 parts begin to stagnate, and they will be hesitant to reorder. This will force repair facilities and DIYers to buy replacement parts from their P-car dealer, and we all know that Porsche isn't shy about charging us big bucks for parts that at one time were reasonably priced. It wouldn't surprise me to see 915 repair costs move into the $5K range, especially when ring and pinions are involved, over the next few years.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 04-15-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Gearbox Exchange now being offered.