997 stock shifter review

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 997 stock shifter review

Hi Guys,

I just replaced my Porsche SSK with the stock 997 shifter(P/N 997-424-010-00) and I LOVE it!

Much less effort than the SSK. Shifting requires a lot less focus/consciousness now. If you ever feel your SSK requires too much effort and don't like the vaguenes of the stock shifter, this IS the solution.

The throw is between SSK and stock. No slop whatsoever and it's butter smooth. Much more prescise than stock and overall shift is faster (than SSK and stock) and feels less brutal to the gearbox. It shifts smoothly even when engine is cold. The black plastic assembly is the same as the stock (same part number stamped on it) but the improvement is in the shifter itself. See the following for a better pic.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/330742-997-gt3-shifter.html

One big difference in feel compared to SSK is at the end of each shift travel, the SSK will feel like you hit a plastic wall that you can't really push the shifter any further while the 997 shifter there's some sponginess at the end of each gear travel, which I like since it's easier on the hand and on the gearbox.
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2008, 02:50 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm stunned. I find my friend's 997 just as sloppy as ever. Maybe it's because I am so completely enamoured and used to the SSK. Moreover, the "feel like you hit a plastic wall" sensation if my favorite part of the SSK. Dell once remarked that it's just like a "bolt-action rifle". I agree. I think it's awesome.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nycebo
I'm stunned. I find my friend's 997 just as sloppy as ever. Maybe it's because I am so completely enamoured and used to the SSK. Moreover, the "feel like you hit a plastic wall" sensation if my favorite part of the SSK. Dell once remarked that it's just like a "bolt-action rifle". I agree. I think it's awesome.
It's clearly a very persnoal choice for sure. The "plastic wall" if you think about it is actually the internal parts of the gearbox banging together abruptly (due to the design of the SSK) and that's what bothering me...
Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

>> it is actually the internal parts of the gearbox banging together abruptly

A SSK changes the throw of the shifter arm. It does not change the operation of the cables and gearbox linkages.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM
996superfly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ApexComp

A SSK changes the throw of the shifter arm. It does not change the operation of the cables and gearbox linkages.
+1 on that.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You "feel" the "plastic wall" because of the angle of the shifter rod relative to the cable. On a SSK the angle is much closer to 90 degrees, so it feels like a wall. On mine the "wall" feel is only apparant in 2nd & 4th. On the oem ones, the angle is closer to 120 or 60, so the shock is transmitted at a vector angle through the rod, that you don't feel. That's all. If you shift "gently" with a SSK, it feels exactly the same, except for the effort. If you think about it, since the OEM shift has a far greater mechanical advantage (easier to shift), it is more likely to damage (if at all possible) the transmission shift linkage with the OEM than with a SSK becuase it takes SO much more effort to get the same force with the SSK!!.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ApexComp

Agree.

However, what limits the end of the shift travel is the gearbox and not the shifter itself (assuming the shifter is aligned correcly). So the "wall" feel is actually the gearbox stopping the shifter from moving any further. Since the SSK has metal everything including the bushings, there's no buffer to absorb this impact and hence the prominant "wall" feel. With OEM shifter, the bushings are plastic and that help absorbing the impact plus the angle of the shifter is less vertical. Therefore, the "wall" feel is less with the OEM shifter.

My point was since the SSK requires more effort due to reduced leverage, it's a lot easier for the user to "overshoot" (unintentianally) and put more effort than needed and hence rushing and forcing the synchros. Of course if you focus enough, you can be easy on the SSK to try to limit the overshoot but then it won't be fast anymore.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by perryinva
You "feel" the "plastic wall" because of the angle of the shifter rod relative to the cable. On a SSK the angle is much closer to 90 degrees, so it feels like a wall. On mine the "wall" feel is only apparant in 2nd & 4th. On the oem ones, the angle is closer to 120 or 60, so the shock is transmitted at a vector angle through the rod, that you don't feel. That's all. If you shift "gently" with a SSK, it feels exactly the same, except for the effort.
If you think about it, since the OEM shift has a far greater mechanical advantage (easier to shift), it is more likely to damage (if at all possible) the transmission shift linkage with the OEM than with a SSK becuase it takes SO much more effort to get the same force with the SSK!!.
Agree the angle is part of the reason of the more prominant "wall" feel but I think (arguably) the bigger reason is the metal bushings of the SSK, which don't allow any slop.

I agree if you can shift the SSK "gently", then it's the same. But I found it not easy to shift gently with the SSK due to the increased force and (greatly) reduced distance of travel at the same time.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahsai....nice avitar.....
Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Big6Dad
Ahsai....nice avitar.....
Thanks! Your car looks very nice. Any larger photos?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:47 AM
lenster
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shift Alignment Tool 9619

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Hi Guys,

I just replaced my Porsche SSK with the stock 997 shifter(P/N 997-424-010-00) and I LOVE it!

Much less effort than the SSK. Shifting requires a lot less focus/consciousness now. If you ever feel your SSK requires too much effort and don't like the vaguenes of the stock shifter, this IS the solution.

The throw is between SSK and stock. No slop whatsoever and it's butter smooth. Much more prescise than stock and overall shift is faster (than SSK and stock) and feels less brutal to the gearbox. It shifts smoothly even when engine is cold. The black plastic assembly is the same as the stock (same part number stamped on it) but the improvement is in the shifter itself. See the following for a better pic.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330742

One big difference in feel compared to SSK is at the end of each shift travel, the SSK will feel like you hit a plastic wall that you can't really push the shifter any further while the 997 shifter there's some sponginess at the end of each gear travel, which I like since it's easier on the hand and on the gearbox.

Does the stock 997 shifter(P/N 997-424-010-00) come with the green Shift Alignment Tool in the picture (p/n 9619)?
Old 11-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Yes, it does.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:52 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do like the 997 upgrade, though I have not felt the 996 SSK. I did have a SSK in my honda and I think I know what you are talking about with the tightness and the vagueness. The 997 stock shifter shortens the throws while still retaining the satisfying resolution of actually being in gear.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, the moral of the story here is if you have stock 996 shifter, consider upgrading to the stock 997; right?
Old 11-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rubik
So, the moral of the story here is if you have stock 996 shifter, consider upgrading to the stock 997; right?
Yes for me and a lot of folks will also agree. Best is to try it out first if you can as these are like mattresses, some ppl like it soft, some like it hard....very subjective.

Quick Reply: 997 stock shifter review