Sponsored by:

Doe's everyone track there GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:34 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Doe's everyone track there GT3?

Is there any point in owning a GT3 if you would only get the chance to track it about once a year?
I mean, are they just as good as a weekend fun thing or dear I say, daily driver?
I take it the ride is hard and the cars quite noisey. Just curoius really.
I'm looking at a 996TT and someone said why not just go the GT3 way. Got me thinking
Old 07-19-2008, 03:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Is there any point in owning a GT3 if you would only get the chance to track it about once a year?
I mean, are they just as good as a weekend fun thing or dear I say, daily driver?
I take it the ride is hard and the cars quite noisey. Just curoius really.
I'm looking at a 996TT and someone said why not just go the GT3 way. Got me thinking
the ride is not hard nor noisy.
it can be used as DD, but that's not its forte.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
the ride is not hard nor noisy.
it can be used as DD, but that's not its forte.
Don't listen to Mooty, he's lying. the ride is rough and pretty noisy. you'd want to track this car once you get it. on the street it's a waste and it's pretty boring. if you want to bling it, sure get it and drive it to the coffee shop meets. Otherwise track the **** out of it.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Don't listen to Mooty, he's lying. the ride is rough and pretty noisy. you'd want to track this car once you get it. on the street it's a waste and it's pretty boring. if you want to bling it, sure get it and drive it to the coffee shop meets. Otherwise track the **** out of it.
LOL, hey someone needs to keep a few clean GT3 so i can buy my next one.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:28 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
LOL, that's pretty much the answer i really expected!
Ask a silly question..............
Old 07-19-2008, 08:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It's like having a supermodel you never take to bed. DD duty is just prancing her around town as beautiful as she is, but the second you take her to bed (the track) you become an addict for that lovin'.

I thought mine would pull double duty but that when out the window some time ago. Now she has become 99.99% track *****.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been daily driving GT3s for six years - 996 Mk1 and currently 996RS. I love the noise, stiff suspension and bucket seats. I honestly find the car very comfortable except on really bumpy roads. Only problem is low front lip in some situations. For me every day is a track day. 996 TT is just boring, IMHO.

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2008, 11:44 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 996-3 is very streetable IMO with respect to ride comfort/quality. The bigger issue is ripping the front splitter off and trying to clear grades at oddball angles.

You can get away with a bone stock 3 as a DD, but it longs for the track. The brakes, the engine, the throttle response, the suspension, etc... all beckon for the track.

Then when you start tracking the p*ss out of your 3 (and really learn how to drive it), you'll start wanting to get rid of all the 'squishy' bits and then you'll end up with a very tame 'Mooty or LVDell Machine'. Tracking hard really brings out the 'street compromise' of the 996-3 formula.

As for Dell's ride being 99.9% Track *****... PULEEEEEZE... it's more like 100.01%!

If you're looking for more of an all-season performer in inclement weather then forget the 3. Get the TT and still have fun on the occasional track day.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:17 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a hard core track guy, but do go to the track 6 or so times a year. What I found with my last car is that over time I modded it into a better performer for the track, and by the end it wasn't an ideal boulevard cruiser, but great at the track.

I bought the GT3 this time instead of a TT because I knew what I would wind up doing, ie moddifying it. I love the car, it is rougher than other 911s but is so awesome at the track, I can completely overlook its shortcomings on the street.

You need to drive one. That will answer your question better than we can.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
It's like having a supermodel you never take to bed. DD duty is just prancing her around town as beautiful as she is, but the second you take her to bed (the track) you become an addict for that lovin'.

I thought mine would pull double duty but that when out the window some time ago. Now she has become 99.99% track *****.
Wow Dell! There are only a select few who are good enough to make a super model into a *****.

But in all seriousness you can totally DD her. For the time being mine will only be about 40% track.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Wow Dell! There are only a select few who are good enough to make a super model into a *****.

But in all seriousness you can totally DD her. For the time being mine will only be about 40% track.
Oh, the things I do to her
Old 07-19-2008, 03:03 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Oh, the things I do to her
trust me I'm the same way. To the OP- if you're going after the ultimate daily driver 911, the 996 gt3 has to be considered against the other cars I'd put in it's class or price range...

namely, the 993TT, 996TT, and 997S. I've even driven a supercharged 997 and found it to be a lot of fun, and much more raw with the power delivery than a standard 911 or a 996TT.

main benefits of a gt3 can really only be used if you've got lots of smooth roads to drive on, and experience mostly dry weather. The 993TT is a bit more raw, old school and a lot prettier than the 996TT, and the 997S has a much better interior cabin than the others. Each has it's own strength.

I find my 993TT to be the best daily driver type because it's just soft enough but still has tons of character. the awd helps me to still drive fast in any weather, and the car feels small and intimate. It's still very fast, and a pretty rare car overall. I used to have a 993 C2S and just love the noise, smell, and solid feel of the 993.

If you live downtown and your first 3-5 miles of daily driving are stop and go, the gt3 might prove to be frustrating more so than the others. In this case, the 997S would be the best choice due to it's modern creature comforts.

If you live in the countryside, and have access to "fun" roads, then you're going to be best off with the gt3.

If you want to drag race everyone, get a 996TT and toss a few dollars at the engine, ecu, etc and voila you'll have 550HP in a heartbeat.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:22 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

It's what the car was design for.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:29 PM
abg123
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use it a DD..wouldnt have it any other way. I've learned to sip my coffee very carefully. Why buy a turbo when you can have a limited edition Porsche? Go w/ a GT3. Look for PCCB's though...thats one think I wished I had...really helps in resale and is a hell of a braking system.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:36 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Been daily driving GT3s for six years - 996 Mk1 and currently 996RS. I love the noise, stiff suspension and bucket seats. I honestly find the car very comfortable except on really bumpy roads. Only problem is low front lip in some situations. For me every day is a track day. 996 TT is just boring, IMHO.
The TT is a MUCH better car as a daily driver for a guy who only is "considering" "maybe" one track event a year. Read the first line of the above quote at least he was honest. Unfortunately he is just delusional about the TT.

Why dont you GT3 guys be honest with him and tell him the truth.
the TT as a DD is more comfortable, more torque, more hp, and AWD for bad weather.
on the track the TT for this guy would certainly be more than fine.

"why not go all the way to were?" you dont even drive at the track enough to have a car designed FOR the track?

And I really have to laugh "the 996 TT is just BORING" that statement stands on its own. And believe me I have driven my share of GT3's and GT3 RS's.

to the OP, since you cant get an unbiased opinion probably from any forum about "their car" do yourself a favor and drive both cars and decide for yourself.

and really is it a "limited" edition?

I wouldnt have posted this on this forum unless I thought you were being given poor info, sorry.

tom

PS and to you guys who dont think the GT3 was designed and built to be the ultimate track weapon and think it is a DD you are kidding yourself. sure it "can" be a DD and I sure would use it as I do my TT but would then recommend a 997S

of course all of the above is only my 2 cents and I truely love the GT3 and you guys so dont waste your time flaming me on your forum, I am a visitor

Quick Reply: Doe's everyone track there GT3?