Sponsored by:

Damp carpet along door interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:43 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Damp carpet along door interior

Hey guys. First post. Just acquired a 2005 Guards Red Carrera coupe.Have wanted one since I was 12. Took ownership about 2 weeks ago, and since then I have noticed that moisture is wicking up the interior lower door carpet on both doors when the sills get wet. Any ideas. Seems strange that it is occurring on both doors.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

That IS strange especially since it is both doors.
My C4S has no such issues and I do not recall seeing any similar posts describing your problem.
Was the car ever in an accident? Sounds like something that should not be too hard to fix with a little insulation.

Welcome to Rennlist and congrats on your car,....I love Guards Red!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:31 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayabb
Hey guys. First post. Just acquired a 2005 Guards Red Carrera coupe.Have wanted one since I was 12. Took ownership about 2 weeks ago, and since then I have noticed that moisture is wicking up the interior lower door carpet on both doors when the sills get wet. Any ideas. Seems strange that it is occurring on both doors.
I have a cab and experienced similar damp carpet once. The problem was that the drains that channel water to the ground had gotten clogged. Water accumulated in the lines and made it to the carpet by a wicking effect.
Have your dealer flush the drains with air. I also suggest that you try to dry out the interior of the car. There may be more water/moisture inside than you think.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:03 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

No accidents thank God. I will schedule an appointment with the dealer. Hopefully it will be something simple like a clogged drain line
Old 09-14-2008, 05:02 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm betting the sunroof drain tubes are clogged, though I don't even know if they run in the same places as the 996.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:14 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

No accidents thank God. I will schedule an appointment with the dealer. Hopefully it will be something simple like a clogged drain line
Before you schedule a dealer visit maybe you could schedule some time to post up some pics of that bad mamma jamma.

Congrats on your new ride!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:27 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Would you like pictures with or without the Shop Vac. . I will post some photos once I get a chance. BTW Great forum. Thanks for the quick responses too.: Now back to football.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:53 PM
nicoff
Racer

I forgot to mention that there is an electrical black box under one of the seats that controls many electronic functions. That box is located at a low point on the floor and depending on how much water you have inside the car, the box could short circuit creating all kind of electrical gremlins and then you will have to have the box replaced ($$$).
I suggest that you have your dealer look at your car ASAP. Meanwhile, I strongly suggest that you keep the car away from water and rain!

Last edited by nicoff; 09-14-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: clarified
Old 10-28-2008, 07:52 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Follow up to problem. Took it to the dealer, no clogs in the drains. I thought maybe by chance I left the window cracked open on either side so I paid careful attention. The dealer was equally puzzled. They lubricated the seals and said wait and see. Weeks went by without a problem unitl today. We got a ton of wind driven rain today in Philly, and now the carpet is damp again. Service Technician said the next step is to replace all the seals (Under Warranty). What a pain.
I know , I know Post Some Pictures........
Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Follow up to problem. Took it to the dealer, no clogs in the drains. I thought maybe by chance I left the window cracked open on either side so I paid careful attention. The dealer was equally puzzled. They lubricated the seals and said wait and see. Weeks went by without a problem unitl today. We got a ton of wind driven rain today in Philly, and now the carpet is damp again. Service Technician said the next step is to replace all the seals (Under Warranty). What a pain.
I know , I know Post Some Pictures........
That does not sound right. Not all seals.
Have they looked at the windshield? was the windshield ever replaced?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Not that I am aware of. I will mention that today when I call the dealer. This is such a strange problem as it is affecting both doors..
Old 10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Not that I am aware of. I will mention that today when I call the dealer. This is such a strange problem as it is affecting both doors..
I doubt that both door seals failed. I am more inclined to think that it comes from the firewall, either a poorly sealed windshield or something else on the firewall. Please keep us posted.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:28 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your help. I spoke with the dealer. They have a colorized paste that can be placed around all vulnerable areas one spot at a time, then they can soak the hell out of the car. I also told him that it didnt make sense that both door seals failed at the same time. He kinda concurred, and admitted that he had never seen this problem before either. Hopefully I will have an answer by next week..
Old 10-29-2008, 04:10 PM
MartyB
Racer

Your automatic window retractors, or whatever they are called, aren't defective, are they? You know, the feature that slightly retracts your windows when you begin to open a door? I had a GTI years ago that developed a wet carpet problem in the rear driver side. The problem was that rain was simply running down the side window into the door and dripping out of the bottom of the door. Don't know if this could happen in a 911 or not.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Yep, First thing we checked.

Quick Reply: Damp carpet along door interior