Porsche announces Tequipment paddle-shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts
Default Porsche announces Tequipment paddle-shifter

This just in from a contributor:

"Incidentally, Porsche have just announced a Tequipment paddle shift steering wheel for the facelift 997. An obvious admission that they got it wrong! In the meantime, all the German tuners are doing the same."

Or was it a plan all along? We'll find out in time...but either way this is very promising...

pete
Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Yay!!!! They listened
Old 10-03-2008, 02:19 PM
AngM018
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

source? pics?
Old 10-03-2008, 02:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Source is a trusted Excellence Magazine contributor.

No pics. Hopefully no coin slots...

pete
Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, awesome to hear!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:38 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Source is a trusted Excellence Magazine contributor.

No pics. Hopefully no coin slots...

pete
Haha who could have said that
Old 10-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Presumably this will be standard issue on the next GT3.
Is there any new news on a hot rod version of the A91 going into the GT3?
sidebar: Can someone please remind me to start complaining as soon as we know the next GT3 won't have a sunroof delete option. : )
Old 10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Presumably this will be standard issue on the next GT3.

Is there any new news on a hot rod version of the A91 going into the GT3?

sidebar: Can someone please remind me to start complaining as soon as we know the next GT3 won't have a sunroof delete option. : )
1) I'd agree there is a good chance, assuming Tequipment doesn't want to make money...

2) 9A1, and mum's the word

3) Someone can, but it won't be me. Surely there are better things to complain about...many of them not even having to do with cars at all.

Best,
Old 10-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excmag
1) I'd agree there is a good chance, assuming Tequipment doesn't want to make money...

2) 9A1, and mum's the word

3) Someone can, but it won't be me. Surely there are better things to complain about...many of them not even having to do with cars at all.

Best,
I don't think the shifter warrants complaint (and it's as easy to fix as an after-market gadget.)

I do think that Porsche is wrong to bring their "best" 911 (in the GT3) to market with a sunroof and it's worth complaint. It's worth telling the marketing morons to get out of the kitchen and leave the cars to the engineers. The RS should have more to offer than stickers. The GT3 should not be shackled with a sunroof. We, the drivers, believe these truths to be self-evident.

As for the bigger problems in the world, we get to complain, but it does no good.

In the immortal words of George Carlin: "It's the American Dream. The game is rigged. It's a big club and you and I are not in it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ4SSvVbhLw
Old 10-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I do think that Porsche is wrong to bring their "best" 911 (in the GT3) to market with a sunroof and it's worth complaint. It's worth telling the marketing morons to get out of the kitchen and leave the cars to the engineers. The RS should have more to offer than stickers. The GT3 should not be shackled with a sunroof. We, the drivers, believe these truths to be self-evident.
Duly noted. I'll take the AR to send you a reminder.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I will tell you the AMG Speedshift in the merc is better than the tip I drove awhile back.
its easy to understand too. Right is up left is down. And I really like the way AMG blips the throttle
on downshifting. I hope the new PDK is much better.

But I agree does that mean Porsche thought it got it wrong?
Old 10-03-2008, 11:04 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pete, that is great news! However, I think I would still go with the stick but now I am not 100% sure.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I will tell you the AMG Speedshift in the merc is better than the tip I drove awhile back.
its easy to understand too. Right is up left is down. And I really like the way AMG blips the throttle
on downshifting. I hope the new PDK is much better.

But I agree does that mean Porsche thought it got it wrong?
I don't think "wrong" is the word, but at least they've recognized the demand and they've delivered the obvious retrofit to appease.

When you get a chance, go drive an S with PDK and Chrono (so it has the Sport Plus button.) This gives you 996 GT3 horses (more torque I imagine from DI and 3.8 litres) delivering kick in the pants up-shifts and screaming downshifts, plus it will hold the gear at the (soft) rev-limiter.

I haven't spent a lot of time in other flappy-paddle cars. I've tried them all and each time walked away confused as to how or why any manufacturer could be willing to sell something as bad as the first F1 or SMG boxes. Dual clutches is what I've been waiting for (even the first Audi incarnations didn't win me over ... or maybe it was the car) but PDK gets back to a sequential box feel when you get up to peak hp and bang it into 2nd it feels perfect and the engine repeats the romp up the tach with nary a hiccup.

In the Carrera, the mechanical noises are muted and the downshift is so quick there's no time for the luxury of a blip and shift like the first F1 boxes in Ferraris -- the blip is there, but it's purely functional, not for entertainment like the R8 soundtrack.

I haven't driven the PDK car enough to become familiar with it (maybe Alex can expand and expound) but I thought the full "latte" mode for commuting was buttery smooth and clean -- by far and away superior to the Tipto. In Sport Plus, I found myself pondering the imponderable of something like a C4S with the next "power kit" and PDK -- but the depreciation is a deal breaker for me. I'll wait for the 997.2 GT3 w/ PDK. Here's hoping Porsche is able to bring the car to the US market without a huge price hike or unwelcome mandatory options. : )
Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I can tell you the blip in the AMG is purely for enjoyement and it is impressive.

But Really Adam what do you think the 997.2 GT3 with PDK will cost?
Talk about Imponderable!!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got one on order.

Can't wait!!!

Quick Reply: Porsche announces Tequipment paddle-shifter