Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Uh-Oh: PDK is Growing on Me, and I am a Manual Die-Hard

Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 587 Posts
Default Uh-Oh: PDK is Growing on Me, and I am a Manual Die-Hard

Just got back from Miller Motorsports Park (what a track...) and, uh, found it strange that I was a bit bummed every time I got into a new 997 with a stick shift and three pedals.

While the challenge of learning 28~ turns over 4.4 miles probably played a part in my preference for the two-pedal 997s, I have to say that the opportunity to focus completely on my lines and braking points and throttle inputs did too -- and I suspect that would translate to tracks I know better, too, like T-hill, SP, etc.

For trackwork, at least, I am starting to really, really like PDK. Still hate the buttons and (more so) the orientation of the shift commands (still pushing forward for downshifts... ...after several times with PDK now), but the chance for more focus with no performance loss (and more likely a gain) is VERY alluring. And those 66 + pounds are awfully well hidden.

Still not sure I'd prefer PDK for backroads driving, as I just love to heel-toe, but I may end up a convert for track stuff. Time will tell, but I would never have thought it possible...

Also: new 997S is very, very good, as is its 3.8.

pete
Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

I got to drive the new 997 with PDK yesterday for the very first time, and agree that it is fantastic. I am a die hard stick shift fan (even my DD is a stick), but wow, PDK is incredible. What an improvement over the old tiptronic -- night and day.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:25 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should try ferrari shifting, its even slicker....
Old 10-14-2008, 01:50 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove one last week.

The shift times are very crisp and I really liked it.

I totally hate the buttons and I also got the up/down shifts reversed a few times.
If the orientation was reversed, I would probably be ok with the the buttons. They were not that bad. Just hate that they are reversed..
Old 10-14-2008, 02:52 PM
flash1034
Pro

Gentlemen, we are heading into a time when the cars will eventually drive for you. PDK, Stability Control, Traction Control, Launch Control, Electronic Suspension Control, Drive by Wire, Brake by Wire, electronic automatic transmissions, etc.

Resist the temptation or we will all be driving Monorails in the not so distant future. Learn to drive, experiance the thrill of shifting while driving, etc.

Flash
Old 10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lone wolf
Hey Lone Wolf!

I have driven modern two-pedal Ferraris, and PDK shreds Ferrari F1!

pete
Old 10-14-2008, 04:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flash1034
Gentlemen, we are heading into a time when the cars will eventually drive for you. PDK, Stability Control, Traction Control, Launch Control, Electronic Suspension Control, Drive by Wire, Brake by Wire, electronic automatic transmissions, etc.

Resist the temptation or we will all be driving Monorails in the not so distant future. Learn to drive, experiance the thrill of shifting while driving, etc.

Flash
Yep, your point of view is/was my point of view. To a point.

Thing is, some of these systems are getting so good they are now providing a safety net/driver aid WHILE letting you do the driving. The latest PSM lets you get pretty feisty, driving the 911 waaaaaaaaaaaaaay past where older PSM systems would let you. Mild drifting with surprisingly big steering corrections, oversteer (so long as you are doing the right thing with the wheel and throttle), etc. are all now possible.

As for PDK, again, I am a stick-shift die-hard. I love heel/toe shifting and derive a great deal of pleasure from it.

But, for the first time in my life, I found myself a bit bummed at the sight of a stick in the cars that had them as I sat down and adjusted the seat. And that has never happened to me. Ever.

For track driving, at least, I am starting to really, really dig the PDK concept, and can see why, other than weight and maybe even with the weight, any racer would prefer it. With a button fix and/or paddles, I think I'd be all in. Question is whether its charms would fade over time and I would miss the interaction.

One engineer told me no, but then he's PDK's daddy. He also told me I don't have to worry about losing a traditional stick for two reasons: Porsche needs to have a base model that is very light for homologation/certification purposes and it is also nice to have an option it can make some extra money on.

I can't blame them for either of those reasons, and am thankful that it means the choice will be there for a long time to come, at least in the basic models...

pete
Old 10-14-2008, 04:35 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm a manual die-hard too.

A good friend has a M3 with the SMG. It may shift fast but I despise it He gets a little annoyed with the frequent reference to the "******-matic".

I'd like to try the PDK though. It might be good for a daily driver. I doubt I'll prefer it over the GT3.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

I've driven them all - F430 and 612 F1, E-gear, Aston's auto-manual, PDK, SMG, DSG...

Of the single-clutch systems, the F430 F1 is in a league of its own - totally superior to any other (dying to try a Scud). But even the great F1 feels clunky next to PDK. PDK is brilliant. In traffic or on track I would be very happy with PDK.

However, for bashing around backroads I would not give up my stickshift. PDK cannot equal the fun that perfect heel-toe rev-matching provides (particularly with LWFW).

I read somewhere that in the future Porsche plans a CVT for the GT3 as PDK is too heavy.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
However, for bashing around backroads I would not give up my stickshift. PDK cannot equal the fun that perfect heel-toe rev-matching provides
100% agreed.

pete
Old 10-15-2008, 02:02 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

I drove it about 300 miles yesterday on my own back-roads and again... I'm dead impressed. For a first time effort it's leaps and bounds better than the SMG, F-car or any other flappy paddle system I've driven. The programming is _very_ intelligent!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lone wolf
I own a Audi A3 with DSG, a BMW M3 with SMG, and have driven a 2003 F1, and a 997S with PDK.

First the F1, of the time, is not a good transmission, period end of story. The SMG in the M3 is significantly superior. Thus in the hydrolic manual genre the SMG is the vastly superior choice when compared to the F1 of the era.

In the dual clutch genre the DSG versus the PDK is a closer comparison. However, have no doubt the PDK is better. Feels faster, more precise. However both are so smooth feeling the difference is more perception than tactile.

On a track the difference in "performance" between the SMG and PDK would be negligible assuming the driver knows how to drive the SMG. There is an art to driving an SMG equiped M3 and once mastered the unsettling shifts can be avoided. However there is no question that the PDK is a "no brainer", the shifts are smooth as silk and very fast.

In daily driving there is no comparison the PDK or DSG transmission is the only way to go. It is so superior to the SMG that it has forced BMW to go down the dual clutch path in the new M3.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:06 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MAB Badgerbimmer
First the F1, of the time, is not a good transmission, period end of story. The SMG in the M3 is significantly superior.
Saying doesn't make it so. Have you driven an F430 with the manettino in 'race mode'?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:12 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naparsei
Saying doesn't make it so. Have you driven an F430 with the manettino in 'race mode'?
Yes, and it still sucks (imo)... compared to a 6 Speed!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:40 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the PDK bounce up against the redline or does is upshift like the Audi DSG :-(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Uh-Oh: PDK is Growing on Me, and I am a Manual Die-Hard