Sponsored by:

Initial Mods to my 986

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Initial Mods to my 986 - UPDATE: Becoming a Spec Boxster

As some of you may have seen, I recently acquired a 1999 Boxster. I just love my new toy!
The car will serve duty mainly as a DE and AutoX car. I am planning on some basic mods to the car to make it 1) safer and 2) a little more fun in the handling department. While the idea of supercharging the car is very appealing, I think I'll wait at least another year while I learn to drive the basic car first.
Many of the mods are adapted from the Boxster Spec Racing rules.

I've had a lot of help from a number of Rennlisters especially SBelles and JRGordonSenior. Thanks Guys!

So far, I've just been busy ordering stuff for the car. I am planning on spending the cold months doing some of the work myself (seats, sway bars) but will probably have a shop do some of the trickier stuff like the coilovers.

Here's what I've ordered:

SAFETY
  • Brey Krause roll bar extension (used from sbelles)
  • 6-GT3 Black Leather seats from Suncoast
  • GT3 Harnesses and submount bars from Suncoast
  • Fire Ext Mount for GT3 seats - Sharkwerks

SUSPENSION
  • Bilstein PSS9 adjustable coilovers from Vivid
  • Front GT3 sway bar with Taret Drop links - Tarett
  • Rear Sway bar with drop links from Tarett

The car currently has the stock 17" rims which I plan on keeping. It has Conti SportContacts 205F/255R on which I don't think are a great tire. I may just leave these tires on for the first few AutoX and DE next year and then move to some PS2 in 225F/255R or maybe some R compounds depending how my driving is advancing (Toyo R888 used in Boxster Spec).

I think I'll stop there for now and see how I like the car for a full season.

For everyone who gave me advice,....THANK YOU!

Last edited by Coochas; 02-08-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:55 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

".....I think I'll stop there for now and see how I like the car for a full season."

That was my original concept. Lots of fun, down on straight line HP but in the corners.....
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like a great plan!

All good stuff here. The stock seats are a bit weak in the side bostering department, and for guys my size, a touch tight. The GT3 seats will be just heaven. My interior is Metropol Blue, so... no chance in hell of getting them used or even new (as I read the delays are looooong).

I have been advised by some senior guys in my PCA region to go with an entire system for suspension (the Euro M030) instead of the adjustable types. Their opinion is that tuning an adjustable suspension is distracting a rookie driver from learning the art of driving, and that a well thought through and sorted system like the Euro M030, while not being as versatile and good for the track, is a well balanced approach with good results.

The one thing I am going to do is purely for childish reasons... I want more sound. I just have to make sure it passes the sound tests at the local tracks.

I will be ordering and installing a Fabspeed exhaust in the spring, when hopefully the Canadian dollar rebounds. If I order it now, I will be payng 25% more than if I did it this summer.

And... welcome to the 986 board. We need all the help we can get!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

If you decide to go with the PSS9's let me know. I have a brand new set advertised here on rennlist that I can make you a deal on.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:39 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Jake Raby has a spec Boxster engine. See http://www.flat6innovations.com/shop/home.php I just bought an 01 S a few of months ago, and I'm getting his big bore, 3.2 to 3.6 engine...starting in another week or so, I'm really pumped, but if I had a 2.5 and wanted to go racing I would jump all over his spec 2.5 engine.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
".....I think I'll stop there for now and see how I like the car for a full season."

That was my original concept. Lots of fun, down on straight line HP but in the corners.....
Man, that is a beautiful car and I'm sure it's a blast to drive.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MikeBat
This sounds like a great plan!

All good stuff here. The stock seats are a bit weak in the side bostering department, and for guys my size, a touch tight. The GT3 seats will be just heaven. My interior is Metropol Blue, so... no chance in hell of getting them used or even new (as I read the delays are looooong).

I have been advised by some senior guys in my PCA region to go with an entire system for suspension (the Euro M030) instead of the adjustable types. Their opinion is that tuning an adjustable suspension is distracting a rookie driver from learning the art of driving, and that a well thought through and sorted system like the Euro M030, while not being as versatile and good for the track, is a well balanced approach with good results.

The one thing I am going to do is purely for childish reasons... I want more sound. I just have to make sure it passes the sound tests at the local tracks.

I will be ordering and installing a Fabspeed exhaust in the spring, when hopefully the Canadian dollar rebounds. If I order it now, I will be payng 25% more than if I did it this summer.

And... welcome to the 986 board. We need all the help we can get!
Thanks for the comments and for the welcome to the board. I'm so excited about this car. My sway bars just arrived in the mail so I guess it's too late for me to go Euro system now!

Originally Posted by 951M471 CarreraM491
If you decide to go with the PSS9's let me know. I have a brand new set advertised here on rennlist that I can make you a deal on.
I wish I had seen it,...I already bought a set from Vivid.

Originally Posted by smshirk
Jake Raby has a spec Boxster engine. See http://www.flat6innovations.com/shop/home.php I just bought an 01 S a few of months ago, and I'm getting his big bore, 3.2 to 3.6 engine...starting in another week or so, I'm really pumped, but if I had a 2.5 and wanted to go racing I would jump all over his spec 2.5 engine.
Thanks for the heads up. I can't imagine driving one of these cars with a 3.6!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

80 more HP and torque will make it unbelievable
Old 11-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

80 more HP and torque will make it unbelievable
Maybe after the 09 season I'll add some power to the mix.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:31 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Dave

Thanks for the compliment and btw you can never enough power. I get my @ss handed to me by the crew I play with regretfully 996 and 997 gt3's + and one very pesky suspect 986. I would suggest adding the LWFW to you list, zoom-zooom
Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 951M471 CarreraM491
Where are Pss9s listed? I looked at your posts. Are you a sponsor?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:34 PM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

Where are Pss9s listed? I looked at your posts. Are you a sponsor?
oop looks like my ad expired. I just reposted it. Look in the classifieds under boxster parts.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
Come on over to BoxsterSpec.com when you get a chance. We have some other guys taking the same route your are. Good luck with the car
Old 11-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Dave,
Come on over to BoxsterSpec.com when you get a chance. We have some other guys taking the same route your are. Good luck with the car
I will! Thanks Jay.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Default Big Boxes Arriving Daily!

Oh man, I've had a couple of nice shipments arrive this week. First my Tarett front and rear sways with drop links, then my PSS9s (OMG, that box weighs 80 pounds), and then the piece de resistance arrived - this giant box shown below had my 6-GT3 seats in it !!!!!!!!!!

I uncrated the seats which arrived in perfect condition from Suncoast. Sorry no pics as it was getting too dark for good iPhone pics. The crate also had my GT3 harnesses and submount bars.

The best news is that I had some reservations about getting the seat thinking that the seats would be too small for my *** (as opposed to my *** being too big for the seats). I now know that my *** fits great in the seats!

I just need to find a Sat or Sunday to hang out in my remote garage research facility (my mom's house) so I can try to install the seats myself. My Bentley manual makes it look like a fairly straightforward thing to do.

I'm still not sure if I'm up to doing the PSS9 install,...I think I should take it to someone who knows what they're doing. The sways probably would be easy enough to change out,...we'll see!

Quick Reply: Initial Mods to my 986