Sponsored by:

Partial Disassembly - Engine Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Partial Disassembly - Engine Compartment

Hopefully not an enzo. Found this link on Planet-9 showing a Porsche technician removing components to get to the engine

The following users liked this post:
G99x.y (03-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

One of the best and most interesting posts I have seen in a while here on rennforums!
Thank you thank you thank you!
I just love how that air box came out!
It doesn't seem it's that hard working on them after all...
Old 06-22-2012, 10:16 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post. Very interesting. I think I will avoid any dusty roads!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 AM
jason74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The end of DIY. What is that, 2 hours of labor, to change the f-ing air filters? Dealers are going to recommend changing those frequently now...
That unit didn't appear to have sport exhaust on it, based on the way the 997 unit looks...
Also, I bet some decent cold air intake can be plumbed in there, ditch the sound composer and bulky air boxes. Will be neat to see what aftermarket options there are.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

What a PITA............makes Mercedes look under engineered........if an owner saw this before buying the car, they might NOT..........or decide to hold on to the car for 3 years max......I understand 9 out of the last 11 Porsche 991s at our local dealer were leased not bought......Porsches will probably not be a long term keeper in the future based on this type of regular maintenance challenge/expense and the type of customer they are now catering to....generally non-car people.......
Old 06-22-2012, 11:15 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jason74
The end of DIY. What is that, 2 hours of labor, to change the f-ing air filters? Dealers are going to recommend changing those frequently now...
That unit didn't appear to have sport exhaust on it, based on the way the 997 unit looks...
Also, I bet some decent cold air intake can be plumbed in there, ditch the sound composer and bulky air boxes. Will be neat to see what aftermarket options there are.
Whoever can not do what we just seen should stay away from any DIY,whether it's a 991,997 or a Toyota Corolla for that matter. Better just go to the dealer.
This is just basic stuff,how hard can it be if you have few/if any mechanical skills. It is just time consuming and I think it will take longer the first time(as it does with any new car),but after that it's just self explanatory.
Why bitch and moan about it when you haven't even tried it...
The car is brand new,everything is nice and shiny in there,no rust,gunk etc,they should come out easily...I actually think it will be a pleasure working on these...
Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

The vid was real time. Less that 10 min to remove all the plastic. Looks manageable if you can find and keep track of all the fasteners.

The tech at my dealership tells me it is no big deal and service takes him less time than it used to back in the days of frequent valve adjustments, points and plugs and lowering the engine to reach stuff. I used to enjoy doing that to kill a weekend. I recall buttoning everything up cross tightening nuts under the car and praying against a ticking valve the whole time. Ah the good old days in some peoples imaginations.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

From the looks of it, it's not that hard to get the bumper off. Just have to be careful of the paint. It's more that what I would normally want to do, but I've done worse. Try changing the engine belt on a 1986 Ford Aerostar without a lift.

Purpose of the post was to inform. if you know what you are getting into, you can prepare for it. It's hard to tell from the previously posted photos what is involved, but this video clarifies it, at least for me. Will be interesting to find out what the shops will charge for these procedures compared to the previous generations. Probably not that big a delta, if any.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:03 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It think the issue I would have is not that it is too hard for me to do myself, but it is a bit exessive for a simple air filter change. Over time, fasteners will get loose with multiple removals, and it subjects the bumper cover to unnecessary risk of being scratched.

It wouldn't stop me from buying one, but I have to give Porsche a thumbs down on this one.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
From the looks of it, it's not that hard to get the bumper off. Just have to be careful of the paint. It's more that what I would normally want to do, but I've done worse. Try changing the engine belt on a 1986 Ford Aerostar without a lift.

Purpose of the post was to inform. if you know what you are getting into, you can prepare for it. It's hard to tell from the previously posted photos what is involved, but this video clarifies it, at least for me. Will be interesting to find out what the shops will charge for these procedures compared to the previous generations. Probably not that big a delta, if any.
Just use your wife's ironing table to nicely and safely rest the bumper off the ground...no scratches. She might be pissed,but...

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by neanicu; 06-23-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 PM
jason74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Whoever can not do what we just seen should stay away from any DIY,whether it's a 991,997 or a Toyota Corolla for that matter. Better just go to the dealer.
This is just basic stuff,how hard can it be if you have few/if any mechanical skills. It is just time consuming and I think it will take longer the first time(as it does with any new car),but after that it's just self explanatory.
Why bitch and moan about it when you haven't even tried it...
The car is brand new,everything is nice and shiny in there,no rust,gunk etc,they should come out easily...I actually think it will be a pleasure working on these...
My only real complaint is that the dealers will charge handsomely for what should be a simple procedure. Perhaps P should include maintenance with their new products like many brands now do.

I love doing DIY projects, changed my brakes last night and have some new filters and an oil change planned for this weekend, removed mufflers to get 'gundo' done 2 weeks ago. The thought of accidentally damaging that bumper skin or breaking clips is what makes me nervous... When the time comes for me to do this project (in a few years, hopefully), I'll probably read the post's on here with instructions for it and some handy youtube clips to walk me through it.

Last edited by jason74; 06-22-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: change
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Originally Posted by neanicu
Just use your wife's ironing table to nicely and safely rest the bumper off the ground...no scratches. She might be pissed,but...

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...20&bih=356#i=1
Good idea. No, she wouldn't be pissed, she rarely uses it
Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, great video!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont have access at work. Is this the video of the spoiler and bumper removal? If so I've seen that and it is informative. I'm glad that the Oil filter is accessible w/o the removal of the spoiler. The air filters on the other hand...
Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

I hope someone collects all such videos and makes them available here. Then I MIGHT get up the nerve to do the services when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Partial Disassembly - Engine Compartment