Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

WTB Classic Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 05:01 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WTB Classic Porsche

Year: 2019
Make: Porsche
Model: 0
Mileage (numbers only please): 45000
Color: Many
Price (no $ sign please): $55000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): West
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM Radio

I have written a couple of newer WTB posts so please disregard this one.

Thanks.

I have decided to buy another older style classic vehicle to add to my "collection" of BMWs. I almost bought a 996 C4, however circumstances intervened and the sale did not come off. I have been refining what I am looking for and it isn't cut and dried.

I could go any of several ways on this, either to an exceptionally well maintained air cooled Porsche in great condition, or to a more modern 996 or 997, turbo or not. Less than 300hp is a non-starter, except for a classic air-cooled vehicle. I'd prefer more, say at least 325-350. Car will not be tracked and I don't want one that has been extensively tracked. What I'm really saying is that I don't want a slow car that can't accelerate quickly, although something a bit slower off the mark would be acceptable in the case of an air-cooled car.

Interior must be pristine, sun and weather damaged interiors or exteriors are a no-go. Any significant damage from an accident disqualifies the car (to me), as does any sort of branded title.

6MT or 5MT are a must, prefer 6, PDK and automatics need not apply :-)

Hydraulic steering is a must, do not want electric.

There are a few colors I don't like, such as green or yellow, would consider red although I consider that to be a cop magnet. Light interior preferred over dark.

Would consider Cayman S as well as 911 models, 2 or 4WD.

Location: Would prefer it to be within 750 miles of Boise, Idaho, which would allow me to fly out and drive it back. Under unusual circumstances I might buy something further afield. Don't want a car that has been exposed to significant road salt in the winter; been there, done that.

What I would pay is dependent on what the car is; I won't go much over $50K, and I won't overpay for whatever it is. Obviously, the cheaper the better, I doubt there will be anything out there I would like that costs much less than $25-$30K. Whatever the car, it will be a cash deal. I will pay more than blue book for a car with low mileage and in terrific condition, but I won't buy anything in mediocre condition regardless of price.

Car must be well maintained, would consider a car that was not well maintained earlier but that has been gone through completely with everything new and brought up to standard by a good garage. Do not want to deal with IMS-related problems, so if the car is subject to this and it hasn't already been dealt with, the car would have to be otherwise PERFECT and at a cheap enough cost to justify this expense on my end.

I know this sounds very vague and somewhat demanding. I'm in no huge rush to buy another car, and I have a pristine older M3 I am looking at which I might buy instead of a Porsche, in which case I would stop looking here.

Please send me a message through the forum, preferably with your email address, and I will contact you with mine.

Thanks!

ken

Addendum: in response to a kind PM bringing an older car to my attention, I want to add that I will drive the car some in an urban environment and in the mountains. I do require at least some safety features such as airbags, plus AC that works well. This precludes many older cars, and in fact probably precludes much of anything made before 1990.

Last edited by champignon; 05-13-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 AM
ryguy0492
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't find it right now but I just saw a nice low mileage 997.2 C2S with powerkit (400hp) and a bunch of other goodies. I think he wanted like $55k.

That's if you wan't to go with like... the best Porsche bang for your buck. Your ad has me a bit confused. That's definitely an amazing car better than most aircooled's. But do you want an aircooled? None besides the turbos will have over 300hp. They are a unique and fun experience in their own though.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes change the ad title as you won't find a classic aircooled Porsche with over 300hp anywhere near your upper limit. Best to focus on modern water cooled varieties.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 AM
ryguy0492
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he wanted 50k or so but it looks like it's sold nice car but just an example of whats out there.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tein-susp.html
Old 04-20-2017, 08:33 AM
champignon
Pro

Thanks for all of the quick replies!

I have modified the listing to make the HP acceptable with an air-cooled car less than ~300.

I haven't been "collecting" cars for very long, and I have already made some pretty costly mistakes along the way. I have learned that buying something that doesn't really get my attention is a recipe for a quick resale, but usually not so quickly that I haven't already put thousands into the thing to fix it up to my expectations (more or less as perfect as the car can be). As a result, even if I liked the car only marginally, I dropped at least $5K down the rathole in the process, and this has happened more than once. On the other hand, if I really like the car, I keep it. Whatever I buy now I would like for it to be a "keeper." I don't want to go through cars the way I have seen some people go through them on this forum and on the BMW forums I frequent.

Since I only have room for one more car in my storage situation, and since I do not plan to sell any of my other cars, at least not now, this is likely to be my only Porsche for a long time. As such, I want it to be something that I am eager to get into and drive, and it will have a lot of competition for attention with my other cars. I'd rather buy something really nice, really cool, really special, than just buy "something," that sits in the garage and that I then feel compelled to sell to free up the space and because I no longer want to bother with its mechanical foibles.

I could get excited for a really classic air-cooled Porsche, that might excite me in a similar way to my 2000 Z3M Coupe, which only has the 240HP S52 engine (not the later 315 HP S54); that car is a lot of fun to drive in spite of a relative lack of HP. I like power as much as the next guy, but I don't need some modded thing that has 500 HP and does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds; I simply do not drive like that, and I don't want a track car.

Anyway, that is why my post is so indefinite about what I want to buy, because I want something special, but there are different examples of special cars.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

PM Sent
Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
PM Sent
Thanks very much for the PM.

I have added in the listing that there is a limit to how old of a car I would want to buy, since I want some modern safety features such as airbags, plus I do need well-functioning AC.

Thanks,

ken

Quick Reply: WTB Classic Porsche