Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

SPB for NASA ST5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 04:10 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Below is what I submitted for ST5. I claimed BTM aero (+4), but that may be wrong. In looking through the compliance sheets, about 1/2 claim BTM aero and the half do not. If I cannot claim BTM aero, I will need to run at 2720 lbs. Not a big deal.
Thanks for sharing that. I have the Cup splitter but that -0.4 isn’t a big deal. It looks like I was taking far more points than I should have.

I felt ST5 would be a good place for a SPB, and running with a passenger seat and a bit of ballast is easy.

I still need a cage so my weight will be quite low until I add that, but that looks much more class-optimized.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:19 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I just put two lead weights in the car, as long as I have 5 gallons of gas coming off track, I should be good at 2720 lbs. I could also put in a full size battery from my 986 DD, but that wt sits higher up than 5 gal of fuel.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:15 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

anyone know what’s required to run with NASA?

ive got a unique situation

i dropped my rig, including spb off at NOLA prior to the PCA race that subsequently got canceled.

I’ve yet to Travel back to NOLA to get it back.

figure if I do make the trip to go get it, might as well get done laps in.

There is a NASA event coming up early September to which I could make it out to there.

But there’s no chance of getting on a Dyno or doing any special license requirements.

im a mid-pack, heavy. Spb racer do not like I have any expectations other thN turning laps and having fun.

I’d literally fly in and hope for the best.

any NASA NOLA contacts?

thx,

Mike

Old 07-18-2020, 07:20 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

https://www.nolamotor.com/nasa-racing-league

I may run the September race, as my wife wants to visit family in NOLA. You need to join NASA ($49), apply for a license ($105), and submit your PCA medical if still current. You will have to fill out an additional form for the medical, but easy to do, no doc visit necessary if your medical is up to date. If you do not have the required dyno, they will likely put you in ST1 (the fastest group). But since you will not be running for points and just want to drive, who cares. They can do the log book and inspection at the track ($100).

Nasaproracing.com
The following users liked this post:
txhokie4life (07-18-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 11:27 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Generally NASA will let you run on a PCA license and may/may not require you to get a NASA logbook at the event. No additional Medical or Fees needed when I was running that way.
The following users liked this post:
txhokie4life (07-24-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 02:01 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Good weekend at Barber with NASA midsouth. Fairly small crowd and there were no other ST5 cars at the event, even though there are quite a few in midsouth and SE NASA regions. ST5 ran with lightning (Spec E30, Spec Miatas, and Spec944), so there was really no one to race with as I was quite a bit faster. Got overall poll both days and managed to lap all but 2nd and 3rd place both days (40 minute race).

The ST director was not on site so I could not get any further information on whether we can claim BTM aero or not. I ran at 2700 lbs on Saturday, and 2650 on Sunday. I emailed Greg G., the national ST director, a few weeks ago and all I've hear from him are crickets. MidSouth ST director is going to contact me to discuss, will let everyone know the final result.

I was a bit disappointed in track time, we had a 20 min practice, 15 min qual, and a 40 minute race each day (I was ready to race a second time both days!). But at less then $500 for the weekend entry fee, I shouldn't complain. Next time I may supersize ($200) and either run some DE sessions or TT.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:52 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Good weekend at Barber with NASA midsouth. Fairly small crowd and there were no other ST5 cars at the event, even though there are quite a few in midsouth and SE NASA regions. ST5 ran with lightning (Spec E30, Spec Miatas, and Spec944), so there was really no one to race with as I was quite a bit faster. Got overall poll both days and managed to lap all but 2nd and 3rd place both days (40 minute race).

The ST director was not on site so I could not get any further information on whether we can claim BTM aero or not. I ran at 2700 lbs on Saturday, and 2650 on Sunday. I emailed Greg G., the national ST director, a few weeks ago and all I've hear from him are crickets. MidSouth ST director is going to contact me to discuss, will let everyone know the final result.

I was a bit disappointed in track time, we had a 20 min practice, 15 min qual, and a 40 minute race each day (I was ready to race a second time both days!). But at less then $500 for the weekend entry fee, I shouldn't complain. Next time I may supersize ($200) and either run some DE sessions or TT.
Can you run two classes to get track time? Running vs E30, SPM, and SP944 doesn't sound like much of a challenge -- even I might podium.

Mike

Old 07-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Can you run two classes to get track time? Running vs E30, SPM, and SP944 doesn't sound like much of a challenge -- even I might podium.

Mike
As my radio man said to me on Saturday, "Like clubbing baby seals"!

You could potentially run both Thunder and Lightning races, but there was not much time in between their sessions to do much to the car or rest.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:41 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In the SSCA WDCR (DC Region), SPB can run with no changes in ITR. The spec is literally "2016 Spec Boxster" ruleset from PCA. It was an eclectic mix of cars last weekend (lots of Miatas, ITA, and ITB) and a NIssan 370 T3 car that was great to race with even if out of class - we were both orphans.

Not sure if ITR is a regional class or national so you may or may not have it locally.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:54 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been trying to find out the answer on BTM aero as well. Also no replies from Greg. Running the RR's gets you +0.6.
We can't get the car light enough, or enough HP to make use of all of that, with the average HP rating, so far, though.
Car seems pretty competitive already, though!
Old 08-05-2020, 06:33 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
I've been trying to find out the answer on BTM aero as well. Also no replies from Greg.
Given that NASA is a for profit organization, you would think they'd have better customer service!
Old 08-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Finally got word on BTM aero (+0.4), there are two issues that have to be dealt with before we can go this route. 1. rear spoiler must be, and remain in, the down position, and 2) no modification to the rear bumper like most of us have done (ie, the cutout). I've already found a free rear bumper that I am going to use to fulfill (2) and then will need to drill and pin the spoiler in the down position.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:21 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Lemming - thanks for the follow up. After driving a Boxster with a rear wing, and struggling a bit with high speed oversteer (especially with the rear wing down), I think the fast route is to put a functional wing on the back, rather than the BTM bonus. An airdam in the front helps to balance it a bit without taking the penalty for a splitter. We will see how it works at Mid-Ohio this weekend.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:02 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

How'd you do this past weekend? Looks like there were 15 or so entries.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

We didn't make it through the TREC endurance race. We got to the lead overall in the rain, and then brushed the wall out of Thunder Valley. Just tweaked the left radiator. looks fine but steaming - ended the weekend. I don't think I would have been competitive in the dry yet in that field, Maybe on Hoosiers, as we have the points to spare. But it was fun up until then.

Quick Reply: SPB for NASA ST5?