Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

SPB for NASA ST5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 06:26 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
Default SPB for NASA ST5?

Anyone know of any SPBs running in ST5? Looks like we would slot in nicely at a low 14 for adjusted wt/power running Toyo RR 245s and leaving everything else in SPB format. Just curious as there is a NASA event at Barber next month and I live 5 minutes away.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 PM
martt1ski
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Anyone know of any SPBs running in ST5? Looks like we would slot in nicely at a low 14 for adjusted wt/power running Toyo RR 245s and leaving everything else in SPB format. Just curious as there is a NASA event at Barber next month and I live 5 minutes away.
Local NASA Director suggested this, moving to ST5. Currently running in GTS2 - not competitive in that class.
W/O doing much in the way of calculations - seemed like it was to much of a stretch to get to ST5, may have to revisit it though as we're up to ~7 cars locally and building.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:22 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

From https://form.jotform.com/drivenasa/s...ification-form

I just searched the NASA ST compliance database, looks like there are 8 986's across the country running in ST5.

Last edited by Lemming; 07-01-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:53 PM
Slade
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regional GTS1 class is an option

In our NASA region no one was running GTS1. So director agreed to let us run as GTS1 class but Spec Boxster rules. With the exception of you could run Hoosiers for contingency and up to 15mm rear spaces. We regularly have 6 to 8 cars running in Rocky Mountain region.

GTS is no contact similar to PCA.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:46 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

From https://form.jotform.com/drivenasa/s...ification-form

I just searched the NASA ST compliance database, looks like there are 8 986's across the country running in ST5.

So if I read this right -- my fat **** and cadillac of a SPB are perfect for ST5 -- I'm consistently 2720 +/- 5lbs

Now I just need to rescue my rig from NOLA quarantine.

Mike
Old 07-02-2020, 03:15 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
So if I read this right -- my fat **** and cadillac of a SPB are perfect for ST5 -- I'm consistently 2720 +/- 5lbs

Now I just need to rescue my rig from NOLA quarantine.

Mike
As far as I know. I'm going to reach out to Greg (ST director) with a few questions.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:16 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Slade
In our NASA region no one was running GTS1. So director agreed to let us run as GTS1 class but Spec Boxster rules. With the exception of you could run Hoosiers for contingency and up to 15mm rear spaces. We regularly have 6 to 8 cars running in Rocky Mountain region.

GTS is no contact similar to PCA.
MidSouth and SE have a number of cars already running in ST5, not 986s, but that's ok. Doubt that I can talk many SE SBP drivers to jump into NASA for a few races.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:52 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ran ST5 in Nasa Mid-Atlantic. Front Runner's are running right around mid 1:24's at Summit. This was my first time out in the SBP car, so I'm not up to speed, but looking at last year's club race results the lead boxsters were running the same times as this.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:12 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I helping a friend build an ST5 Boxster. The 255 Toyos on rear OEM wheels fit the 257mm template, so no need to go to the 245's. Add a wing and a splitter, and it could be competitive. The average HP calculation makes a pretty big difference with the somewhat peaky 2.5, so that leaves some room to take the aero penalty. First weekend out with the car, about 200lbs overweight (passenger seat, full tank, and little lightweighting done), it was well within 2 seconds of the track record in ST5 at Gingerman. There is time left in the car and driver. It should be pretty competitive in ST5.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:34 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
I just ran ST5 in Nasa Mid-Atlantic. Front Runner's are running right around mid 1:24's at Summit. This was my first time out in the SBP car, so I'm not up to speed, but looking at last year's club race results the lead boxsters were running the same times as this.
Good to know, last year was my first time at Summit and I was in the 24's and should have been faster.

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
I helping a friend build an ST5 Boxster. The 255 Toyos on rear OEM wheels fit the 257mm template, so no need to go to the 245's. Add a wing and a splitter, and it could be competitive. The average HP calculation makes a pretty big difference with the somewhat peaky 2.5, so that leaves some room to take the aero penalty. First weekend out with the car, about 200lbs overweight (passenger seat, full tank, and little lightweighting done), it was well within 2 seconds of the track record in ST5 at Gingerman. There is time left in the car and driver. It should be pretty competitive in ST5.
Great to hear that we can run our current tires, I really didn't want to have to buy 245s for one or two weekends a year. Just to be clear, by OEM wheels, I'm assuming 8.5" width.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Off to the dyno tomorrow. I've been wanting to get the numbers on this car since I built it a few years ago.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:01 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

So, it appears that I need to do nothing to the car, I can run it exactly like SPB, and be ST5 compliant. In fact, I can reduce my weight by a few pounds, or add a bit of weight and add some downforce. Max HP was what was expecting (192), and as Doc stated, the HP curve is peaky so using the average HP, it drops quite a few HP (184). Great to have another option and I'm hopeful that the SPB will be competitive. I'll find out in a few weeks.
The following users liked this post:
martt1ski (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 11:39 AM
martt1ski
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So, it appears that I need to do nothing to the car, I can run it exactly like SPB, and be ST5 compliant. In fact, I can reduce my weight by a few pounds, or add a bit of weight and add some downforce. Max HP was what was expecting (192), and as Doc stated, the HP curve is peaky so using the average HP, it drops quite a few HP (184). Great to have another option and I'm hopeful that the SPB will be competitive. I'll find out in a few weeks.
Lemming - Thanks for your work on this - we are seeing the same potential over here (Intermountain) and may get the local group to move from GTS2 to ST5. Look forward to hearing about your results. We have no ST5 in the region at the moment - of any kind. That said - there are existing UMC track records for that class, so ST5 has been run here, previously.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:34 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by martt1ski
Lemming - Thanks for your work on this - we are seeing the same potential over here (Intermountain) and may get the local group to move from GTS2 to ST5. Look forward to hearing about your results. We have no ST5 in the region at the moment - of any kind. That said - there are existing UMC track records for that class, so ST5 has been run here, previously.
This is really interesting. I had previously concluded we couldn’t run ST5 due to points despite the great P/W match for our cars... obviously I need to check again.

I’m in TT4 right now - probably should try to reclass down to TT5. Again I thought I was prohibited by points.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:41 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ace37
This is really interesting. I had previously concluded we couldn’t run ST5 due to points despite the great P/W match for our cars... obviously I need to check again.

I’m in TT4 right now - probably should try to reclass down to TT5. Again I thought I was prohibited by points.
Below is what I submitted for ST5. I claimed BTM aero (+4), but that may be wrong. In looking through the compliance sheets, about 1/2 claim BTM aero and the half do not. If I cannot claim BTM aero, I will need to run at 2720 lbs. Not a big deal.

Quick Reply: SPB for NASA ST5?