Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

2.7 spec boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 05:44 AM
coss1600
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2.7 spec boxster?

I know this is a sensitive topic, but just wondering if there is any chance of a 2.7 boxster getting into the spec boxster series or get into a 2.7 series. The 97-99 are more expensive than 2001 around here. I am having a hard time justifying the price. Wondering if I can skip to a later car and hope the rules will change as I had found a reasonable Ly price 2001
Old 06-24-2021, 10:14 AM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

Not sure where you're located but if you're looking for a donor car to build up to SPB you should easily be able to find one for under $10K but might have to travel to get it. These are from PCA Mart that are in good overall condition but if you're going to gut it look for a car with a torn soft top, bad interior or some other aesthetic blemish that won't matter to you in the end but will keep the asking price down.

https://mart.pca.org/ads/50884
https://mart.pca.org/ads/50908
https://mart.pca.org/ads/50971 -Low miles and had LN IMS bearing done already

It goes without saying, unless building it yourself is something you're WANTING to do understand that will always be a more expensive route than buying a used built one. If you're sure you'll eventually be racing in PCA I would not build a non-spec car with the hope of the class rules will someday maybe change. Im not racing yet but I built mine to spec so I'll always have the option and it's a way easier resale if I ever decide to move on to another car.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

While i haven't found 97-99 donor cars to be hard to find or expensive, I don't see why you can't lump 2.7s in there also. Would be pretty easy to add a bit to the weight requirement for the 2.7 cars to get generally equal performance.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:54 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by coss1600
I know this is a sensitive topic, but just wondering if there is any chance of a 2.7 boxster getting into the spec boxster series or get into a 2.7 series. The 97-99 are more expensive than 2001 around here. I am having a hard time justifying the price. Wondering if I can skip to a later car and hope the rules will change as I had found a reasonable Ly price 2001
You can run the 2.7 in PCA -- just not in the SPB class. I think it ends up in E class or something like that.

IMHO, I would go find an existing SPB and go that route -- probably just as cheap or cheaper than to build -- and you'll have a likely sorted car a whole lot sooner.

There are 4 for sale in Houston I am aware of, and I'm not even looking.
The following users liked this post:
martt1ski (06-25-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 01:03 PM
coss1600
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
While i haven't found 97-99 donor cars to be hard to find or expensive, I don't see why you can't lump 2.7s in there also. Would be pretty easy to add a bit to the weight requirement for the 2.7 cars to get generally equal performance.
That’s what I am saying, but the current SB guys are always sensitive for a car that might be potentially faster. I do get their concern though.

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
You can run the 2.7 in PCA -- just not in the SPB class. I think it ends up in E class or something like that.

IMHO, I would go find an existing SPB and go that route -- probably just as cheap or cheaper than to build -- and you'll have a likely sorted car a whole lot sooner.

There are 4 for sale in Houston I am aware of, and I'm not even looking.
You are absolutely right. I am doing a home build because a car that i can drive allows me to work on it at my house quietly. If I get a built car, I won’t be able to do anything other than the shop and the track. Being able to sort out some suspension before hand in hpde or driving around is a nice way to find some bugs before the track day

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
Not sure where you're located but if you're looking for a donor car to build up to SPB you should easily be able to find one for under $10K but might have to travel to get it. These are from PCA Mart that are in good overall condition but if you're going to gut it look for a car with a torn soft top, bad interior or some other aesthetic blemish that won't matter to you in the end but will keep the asking price down.

https://mart.pca.org/ads/50884
https://mart.pca.org/ads/50908
https://mart.pca.org/ads/50971 -Low miles and had LN IMS bearing done already

It goes without saying, unless building it yourself is something you're WANTING to do understand that will always be a more expensive route than buying a used built one. If you're sure you'll eventually be racing in PCA I would not build a non-spec car with the hope of the class rules will someday maybe change. Im not racing yet but I built mine to spec so I'll always have the option and it's a way easier resale if I ever decide to move on to another car.
I found a clean 2001 for 9k, I am seeing these 97-99 going for 10k minimum. That’s why I am super tempted.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:00 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 629 Posts

The whole point of Spec classes are the cars are generally equal so your performance is largely driver skill. Adding different HP platforms would negate that. I guess if you figured out a way to restrict a 2.7 to dyno'd HP matching a 2.5 that would work I suppose. If the 2.7's have different gear ratios that would have to be addressed too. Honestly I feel like being concerned about saving $1000-2000 on the initial vehicle purchase is insignificant compared to the cost of running a competitive race car, even at the entry level.
PGas32 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 03:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nickshu
The whole point of Spec classes are the cars are generally equal so your performance is largely driver skill. Adding different HP platforms would negate that. I guess if you figured out a way to restrict a 2.7 to dyno'd HP matching a 2.5 that would work I suppose. If the 2.7's have different gear ratios that would have to be addressed too. Honestly I feel like being concerned about saving $1000-2000 on the initial vehicle purchase is insignificant compared to the cost of running a competitive race car, even at the entry level.
A very small inlet restrictor would likely achieve that. The gearing, although some people get up in arms, i think is a wash. Having run both in my 986 track car, the 99 gearing is better in some parts of the track or on some tracks in general, while the 00+ is better in others. They aren't huge differences. I don't think its much of an issue, but for instance, finding a g86.00 transmission with decently low miles in good shape is getting harder. If you will then eventually allow the g86.01, then why not go a step further and add the 2.7 platform. Anything to keep the class thriving is a good idea I think.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:27 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

It’s certainly not guaranteed. Just find the right 2.5L donor car and you’ll be happier. You’ll likely have $30-40k in the car by the time you’re done, and the $1-2k difference is just like buying more tires. I’m probably over $40k now.

If you want a faster car you can always go for SPC or SP996. The fields are generally much smaller though.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:21 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 295 Likes on 138 Posts

I think a limited slip should be allowed first, then 2.7L cars weighed down. Look at Spec Miata, they have 1.6, 1.8, and 1.8 VVT engines all lumped together.

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 06-29-2021, 06:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RennPart
I think a limited slip should be allowed first, then 2.7L cars weighed down. Look at Spec Miata, they have 1.6, 1.8, and 1.8 VVT engines all lumped together.
Yes! +1000

I'm very surprised that spb still runs an open diff. I know that it has been shot down in the past because of cost issues, but I would argue lack of an lsd increases the risk of crash damage substantially. Crashing costs a lot more than a LSD. Dropping wheels happens a lot in racing, and an open diff increases the risk of hooking. It's also easier to keep the car pointed straight forward with a lsd. There's also the issue of needing to run without a rear bar as a band aid fix to having an open diff. The car is inherently handicapped and is never able to run to its full potential. I also have to imagine tire wear and overheat from wheel spin would be improved with an lsd. Again, I'm just surprised that spb still runs an open diff after all of this time.

SM really has it figured out with parity between the NA6, NA8, NB, and NB2s. one issue I see is that if a restrictor plate is needed for a 2.7L, it's more time consuming to check for in a Boxster over a Miata. Not horrible, but a pain.
Nickshu (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 12:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Stuffing a $1,200 LSD into a $600 transmission that likes to shed metal when gears let go....ehhhh
Old 06-30-2021, 01:15 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I really do not think that adding 2.7s to SPB will change the field size enough to warrant the hassles involved. Plenty of 2.5s to pick from.

If you are worried about costs, stop looking for garage queens. Buy a crashed or repo car off of Copart. I got my '99 for $3,999 and my '98 for $2650 that way.

Agree with Quadcammer, although LSD would be great, not worth it for the 2.5 trans. I believe that Gladwell stated that adding an LSD to SPB would result in many more failures than we already have.

Old 06-30-2021, 03:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Stuffing a $1,200 LSD into a $600 transmission that likes to shed metal when gears let go....ehhhh
You make a good point. Transmission failures are an issue to consider.

Quick Reply: 2.7 spec boxster?