Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Question regarding achieving maximum camber with GT3 arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding achieving maximum camber with GT3 arms

Do people change the 2 studs(used for camber adjustment) on the GT3 control arms to longer ones to use more spacers to gain more camber? Car is currently maxed out at -2.5* on one side, options to gain more camber would be longer studs, or thinner nuts, but I'm not a fan of losing the nylocks. Strut top mounts are already all the way in.

The rules make no mention of it so I assume it's not legal, but I'm looking for options and opinions.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:59 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Do people change the 2 studs(used for camber adjustment) on the GT3 control arms to longer ones to use more spacers to gain more camber? Car is currently maxed out at -2.5* on one side, options to gain more camber would be longer studs, or thinner nuts, but I'm not a fan of losing the nylocks. Strut top mounts are already all the way in.

The rules make no mention of it so I assume it's not legal, but I'm looking for options and opinions.
I've never had a problem getting as much as I needed, sounds like you are missing something. No longer studs are needed. are you sure you have everything assembled correctly ?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:40 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I've never had a problem getting as much as I needed, sounds like you are missing something. No longer studs are needed. are you sure you have everything assembled correctly ?
+1
Old 10-22-2015, 03:16 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

There's not much to mess up in these cars, are people rotating the strut top mounts? They're currently installed with the arrows pointing front/back, I can gain more camber by rotating but it's going to change caster a lot(I'm also not sure if the 3 bolts form an equilateral triangle). The LF is at -2.5* with the top mount slid all the way in and 16mm of spacers in the GT3 arm.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Dave DE
Racer

I'm using 20mm of spacers on one side. I replaced the thick washers under the nylock nuts with a standard thickness one (of the proper grade) to make room for it.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave DE
I'm using 20mm of spacers on one side. I replaced the thick washers under the nylock nuts with a standard thickness one (of the proper grade) to make room for it.
What you got 5 degrees of camber in that bad boy?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:06 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

lowering the ride height to near the 90mm minimum and using the stock gt3 control arms without flipped strut tops should still get you -4 degrees if you wanted it. I would guess that your ride height is just higher if everything is assembled correctly.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:11 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
What you got 5 degrees of camber in that bad boy?
And some scrub unless he changed tops some also.

Dave DE, you might have too much scrub by changing that much. Of course some people like that, but when it gets too far it will slow you down.
The wider track might help the Boxster in the front, of course running square that isn't really an issue in my opinion. Whatever works for you.

Greg, I'm not sitting there looking at your car so it's hard to say.
But you should be able to get all the camber you need and stay legal and within the rules, and use those nuts and studs that come with the arms.

Viking
Old 10-22-2015, 08:14 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eric523
should still get you -4 degrees if you wanted it.
Eric is making it too easy for you Greg.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:35 PM
jj1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

And some scrub unless he changed tops some also.

Dave DE, you might have too much scrub by changing that much. Of course some people like that, but when it gets too far it will slow you down.
The wider track might help the Boxster in the front, of course running square that isn't really an issue in my opinion. Whatever works for you.

Greg, I'm not sitting there looking at your car so it's hard to say.
But you should be able to get all the camber you need and stay legal and within the rules, and use those nuts and studs that come with the arms.

Viking
How does this add scrub?
Old 07-10-2016, 09:27 PM
KnowSomeStuff
Rennlist Member

How does this add scrub?
It doesn't..

And I start my alignments with 20mm's of shims. I'm betting this old *** thread from 2015? He has/had bent uprights.

Quick Reply: Question regarding achieving maximum camber with GT3 arms