Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Thinking of replacing Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 01:10 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Maybe go for a 991 Targa which melds everything together. Great Grand Tourer, Top Off give it a sense of occasion and with PSM you can adjust the suspension to whatever you feel like. With PDK you can easily use it more regularly in the city and still have fun on the backroads.
+1, that is a great call.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in NY are you located? I am in Westchester co.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:30 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rumatt
I'm intrigued. What do you like about the base 981? I ask because I've actually been thinking that a base 981 might be for me. I've never been a big power guy, it would allow me to wind it out a little more on public roads... I think it'll be more cush than the R.. etc.
I've had a lot of sports cars over the years. One of my favorites of all time was the Honda S2000. I liked it so much I bought another about 3 years after selling my first one. But I kinda "ruined" the second one by going for big(er) power with an aftermarket turbo. I moved on from it, but always missed that high revving, tossable feel. After several other cars, and two different 911s, I finally drove a couple of 987s. Loved the feel. Reminded me of my old S2000, but with more torque and more upscale. However, the 981 body style has been my favorite of any Porsche body since the 993, plus the interior upgrades from 987 to 981 are substantial. So I went with a 981 base. It hits all of the notes I want in a sports car. Perfect balance, small feel, great handling, but yet it's nice enough on the inside to just sit back and cruise down the highway. I've often said it's the keeper...and those that have known me know that I rarely keep a sports car longer than 3 years, but it really is everything I want.

That all said, if you are thinking of moving away from a sports car and more towards a sporty grand tourer, there are a lot of options out there that are also intriguing. The C63 AMG is a good one, as is the Audi S5 Sportback. Those will give you fun when you want it, yet enough comfort when you just want to lay back and cruise. My 981 is still not my "daily" and I'm not sure I would want to have it as one... but for a sports car that I can sometimes take to work, it's perfect.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:19 PM
rumatt
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone. I have officially decided to sell it for real this time. It deserves to go to someone where it's a better fit.

I'm bumping the classified thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...anual-cpo.html
Old 08-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 987 Spyder Manual and 981 Boxster PDK.
The Spyder is a limited conditions use car like the R , and i get what you are saying. Some busy and crappy roads here in the UK. So the 981 is fantastic in those conditions. Comfort and mod cons are night and day better over the 987 S it replaced , but with a press on the sport button it can change character like Jekyll and hide and still be a fun sports car. The best Porsche to be a passenger in than any we have had too. Hope you try one soon before going away from Porsche ! They are great & reliable !
Old 08-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts
Default Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

This is an interesting thread. As mentioned many of us have Porsche ADD but what I find is if you just leave your car for a week and come back to it it's a brand new car! Amazing but true. The CR is a very very good car and I think I would miss it's rawness if I were to sell it. The 981 Cayman PDK I owned for 9 months I really liked but I missed the rawness of the Spyder and "had" to revert and find another. Personally, I would keep the CR for some ripping days in the country and those so great HPDE events where you can really wind it out and find a daily driver to handle the daily commutes. Myself, I sold the Macan's and kept my 2010 Golf with it's groovy recaro seats, leather steering wheel, shifter and e-brake and it's GT1 suspension bit's and pieces. It's a great DD and I've come to accept and live with the bruises it gets here in the city. Better it than the Spyder. It even has satellite radio to make up for the loss of driving experience the Spyder offers. Whoo hoo, right?

To the OP, is a 2nd DD car an option for you? Do you have the space? I only paid $12K for my Golf. It's a cheap fun ride.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:30 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a base 981 Cayman and I think you'd like it. I loved mine. I ended up replacing the original suspension with X73...which doesn't sound like something you'd want...but the base/regular suspension is very compliant and comfortable. It very well might fit your crappy roads. You could even throw on some 18's to further smooth things out. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: Thinking of replacing Cayman R