Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

PDK Failure....987.2 Spyder with 85k miles....Need help and advice...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 02:44 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts
Default PDK Failure....987.2 Spyder with 85k miles....Need help and advice...

Got some unfortunate news yesterday that my 2011 Spyder needs a new PDK transmission. Ouch and not cheap as you can imagine!

Little background, in August of 2018, I was coming home and got a transmission overheating error, where it goes into emergency transmission mode and can't shift out of 1st gear. This was around 83.5k miles. I had it towed to the dealer and they ended up replacing the sensor in the PDK transmission. Fast forward to last week, and got the same error again coming home. This time they said it's not the sensor, and that the entire transmission should be replaced. I know the GM at the dealer and they are trying to help me out, but they are quoting the cost of a new transmission to be 18k. My car is probably only worth high 30's, low 40's because of the mileage. It's crazy to think the transmission would go out this early, I feel like they should be pretty bullet proof and last for 200-300k miles. I am the original owner and have had this car since new. As much as I love it, I don't see how I could even put that kinda coin back into it at this point and I am not really even in a position financially to just throw that kinda money out there. I mean do they do loans for service work?! Some what kidding but just a gut punch of some bad news yesterday. Any advice or thoughts? Has anyone else heard of any PDK failures this early?
Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I have personally replaced two in a Cayman R.
The local dealer has done a few more.

The big problem is - they don't fix the transmission, only replace the entire thing. Seems you got lucky the first time. Mine was some sort of sensor error and they just put in a new tranny.

I guess you could look at salvage yards for a wrecked 987 with no PDK damage. As Porsche doesn't repair them or sell parts, that may be the only other option.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:06 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

What about take outs on eBay? Are they quoting $18k just in parts, or what is the split of parts+labor?
Old 09-05-2019, 03:09 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 398 Posts

Man, that sucks and is scary news to anyone..... almost sounds like they missed diagnosed it the first time instead of fixing the real problem???
was it giving any early signs of acting funny? Track use?

Maybe call some local Indy shops and see what they say. $18k is a very hard pill to swallow

hope it all works out for you.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:16 PM
flat6ix
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your car is a special car and worth repairing/keeping, if you search around on the forums there are reports of few people who experienced PDK failure out of warranty and have received some goodwill from dealer / Porsche but even then if I recall correctly still had to spend $8-9k out of pocket

Have also seen PDK transmissions for sale in the classifieds on this forum for a lot less than a dealer replacement, but factoring in cost of it and shipping plus labor may not land you too far from that $8-9k figure anyway and would likely not come with any warranty. I would try to reach out to some race shops like BGB see if they have one from a swap etc., depending where you are located you may even be able to get the work done with one of those shops.
The following users liked this post:
I am the Walrus (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 04:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Aaron you definitely need to save the car, it’s unique and rare as noted.

Originally Posted by flat6ix
Your car is a special car and worth repairing/keeping, if you search around on the forums there are reports of few people who experienced PDK failure out of warranty and have received some goodwill from dealer / Porsche but even then if I recall correctly still had to spend $8-9k out of pocket

Have also seen PDK transmissions for sale in the classifieds on this forum for a lot less than a dealer replacement, but factoring in cost of it and shipping plus labor may not land you too far from that $8-9k figure anyway and would likely not come with any warranty. I would try to reach out to some race shops like BGB see if they have one from a swap etc., depending where you are located you may even be able to get the work done with one of those shops.
Agreed with above, if you ask politely and state your case and also show up to date maintenance records Porsche should step up and offer the entire replacement at $8K.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

They seem to appear on ebay with some frequency. LM engineering had one for less than 3K, but I suspect it was sold already.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Ah sorry to hear this bad news on an otherwise bulletproof car such as the 987.2. As Deilenberger would attest to (he knows everything and more one needs to know about transfer cases on the 958 Cayennes) I am not a fan of the long service intervals of the PDK transmission oil/PDK clutch fluid changes. No matter how special your Spyder is, having to spend 18K on parts and labor on a car that's worth 30K seems hard to justify unless the vehicle is a heirloom. It is also hard to imagine spending the enormous cost of labor to switch out to a used PDK gearbox unless someone can really attest to its mileage and track use history. Check with LA dismantler and also shoot an email to Dodson motorsports who make PDK-like gearboxes but cost might still be high. We have all enjoyed stunning photos of your car with surfboards inside it and hope it doesn't die an untimely death. Wishing you the very best for an affordable solution.
Zeus993 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 10:50 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

Save the Spyder! I would try to find a used tranny.
This site lists parts from wreckers from all over USA: www.car-part.com
Zeus993 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default A thought....

Aaron:

I think I found the reason for the failure of your PDK transmission.
Take the surf board out and see if it now works!

But seriously, as others have said, your beautiful 987 Spyder is worth saving.
Hopefully you & your Porsche dealership will received the support & 'good will'
from PAG & PCNA that should be expected from a PDK transmission that has
failed prematurely. I hope Porsche will give you a heavily discounted deal on
the new PDK unit.
As a non-technical enthusiast that doesn't know the complicated mechanical
details involved, is there a possibility of swapping the failed PDK unit for a
more 'desirable' manual transmission at a reasonable cost? Just asking.
But in any event, I sincerely hope it all works out in the end for you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 09-06-2019, 02:28 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Aaron:

As a non-technical enthusiast that doesn't know the complicated mechanical
details involved, is there a possibility of swapping the failed PDK unit for a
more 'desirable' manual transmission at a reasonable cost? Just asking.
But in any event, I sincerely hope it all works out in the end for you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Completely different ECM, different wiring harness, would need clutch pedal/hydraulics, shifter assy, etc. Would be a very costly, complex swap.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by billwot
Completely different ECM, different wiring harness, would need clutch pedal/hydraulics,
shifter assy, etc. Would be a very costly, complex swap.
Ok. I see. So the best case scenario would be to see if via the good offices of the
P-dealer where Aaron has his Spyder (is it Porsche of Stevens Creek?), they are
able to convince PAG/PCNA to supply a new PDK unit at a reduced cost. Wishing
all of them the very best on this effort.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 09-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Bummer and such a dilemma.

A good friend of mine here in Vancouver experienced a total engine failure in his 987 Cayman (oil-starvation in a tight turn at Area 27). He'd re-done the suspension, the wheels (Ruf) the shift linkage (Rennline) etc... and was faced with a similar situation - an ageing, well-loved Porsche, with a high off-warranty expense. Tough, tough decision but in the end he dropped $40K into getting a 3.8 race-tuned engine (California company) into it. I've driven it and it's a magical, beast of a Cayman. But was it worth the money? In my mind and his, yes. Does it defy "logical" financial decision making, yes to that too.

Spyder PDK crowd-funding?

Last edited by Zeus993; 09-08-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:21 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Nightmare. I wonder what it would cost to convert to a manual trans?
Old 09-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,078 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
They seem to appear on ebay with some frequency. LM engineering had one for less than 3K, but I suspect it was sold already.
We may still have additional PDK boxes in our inventory. Best to send an email to support@LNengineering.com to see how many we still have in our stash.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure....987.2 Spyder with 85k miles....Need help and advice...