Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 03:11 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 771 Likes on 403 Posts

saw it at werks & not digging it at all... cream white def is not for me
Old 01-25-2024, 05:42 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Groach
This car is now in Deal Tank with a buy-it-now price of $90k... bit of a stretch for a car without buckets. A "make-me-sell-it" price. 13k miles is low, but not super low for an R. Bidding went to $71k.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:59 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
This car is now in Deal Tank with a buy-it-now price of $90k... bit of a stretch for a car without buckets. A "make-me-sell-it" price. 13k miles is low, but not super low for an R. Bidding went to $71k.
"bit of a stretch"???? 90K USD is freeking insane for this car. Should have taken the 71K IMO, that was fair market value. I'm not sure this car would have got 90K at the top of the insane market two years ago.
The following users liked this post:
husker boxster (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 09:23 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisA
"bit of a stretch"???? 90K USD is freeking insane for this car. Should have taken the 71K IMO, that was fair market value. I'm not sure this car would have got 90K at the top of the insane market two years ago.
I met the guy who bought the most expensive Cayman R sold on BAT at I believe $91,000 plus BAT fees. It's Peridot green with a few thousand miles and buckets/6sp. He never drives the car, told me he thinks it's ugly, and he's storing it to sell in the future.

That's who bought at the top of the market.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:08 AM
husker boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I met the guy who bought the most expensive Cayman R sold on BAT at I believe $91,000 plus BAT fees. It's Peridot green with a few thousand miles and buckets/6sp. He never drives the car, told me he thinks it's ugly, and he's storing it to sell in the future.

Ha ha. Hope he has long term storage. There are a lot of speculators who thought cars appreciating was going to last forever. Well the music stopped and they don't have a chair. The folks speculating on C8 Z06s are in the same boat.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:32 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by husker boxster
Ha ha. Hope he has long term storage. There are a lot of speculators who thought cars appreciating was going to last forever. Well the music stopped and they don't have a chair. The folks speculating on C8 Z06s are in the same boat.
To make this even better, the same guy told me how he has connections with the local Chevy dealer to get a C8, he had something like 3 Vettes already.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Sad. A "Rapunzel" car.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:03 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Sad. A "Rapunzel" car.
It's increasingly common especially for this vintage of Porsche. I feel like a significant percentage of 997 era GT3s (specifically RS) are now just places to park money and don't get a lot of use anymore. Market makers and "investors" drove the prices up now that everyone realized it's not an experience the company offers any longer. Nor almost anyone else for that matter.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:50 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
It's increasingly common especially for this vintage of Porsche. I feel like a significant percentage of 997 era GT3s (specifically RS) are now just places to park money and don't get a lot of use anymore. Market makers and "investors" drove the prices up now that everyone realized it's not an experience the company offers any longer. Nor almost anyone else for that matter.
Parking money in Porsche production cars for an investment is dumb. Your insurance and storage costs plus time based maintenance isn't free. Inflation is whatever it is, but it's something to account for. In essence you're betting that your car will appreciate 15 to 20 percent a year.

It won't.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:01 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KrisA
Touche, that car probably would have topped out at $80k at market peak. $71k is a great price to sell at.

These are the same guys buying up the newly manufactured "vintage" Porsche tool sets... tools for tools who don't use tools.

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Yep, idiots IMO. I've heard from some of these owners' mouths that they "don't trust the market" (i.e., stock market) so they want to put their money in something "tangible" lol. The fact that these cars are also part of a market which goes up and down somehow completely escapes them.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:44 PM
husker boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
2011 Spyder. 28k miles. Pic 74 shows some weird cabling that is painters taped onto the underside of the car, sort of strange. It does have what appears to be a K40 (or other brand) radar/laser system on it, but having done multiple installs of radar systems, that cable looks different than those. The bigger issue on this one is the mileage discrepancies. WP0CB2A85BS745339

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...ster-spyder-5/
This one brought pretty good $$$ for being dirty, having a mileage discrepency and needing work. Seems like he rolled it out of the garage w/o bothering to even clean it. He's lucky it wasn't on BAT - their peanut gallery would've lit him up for the mileage issue.

But it give me hope for when mine's ready to sell next month (maint done and detailed).

Last edited by husker boxster; 01-27-2024 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:02 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,051 Posts

This is funny to me. Putting that money into a high yield savings account over the past couple of years would have yielded a better return, with zero risk. I think the Cayman R/Boxster Spyder are the two best modern Porsche's for under $100k, but the people thinking that these are truly investment tools I think are mistaken. I bought my GT3 at the bottom of the market, it was a very clean example and by the time I was done with paying tax (8%), sorting it to my standards (engine pulled, tons of stuff replaced), yearly climate controlled storage during winter, insurance (agreed value), I've probably made a little money, but it won't be long before I'm losing money due to how much I put into my cars, not because it's needed but because I like a mint car. Even the most minty of Cayman R's are probably going to hold at $100k for a while. Just total speculation on my part. Long term, an S&P 500 index fund is going to outperform these cars. I'd rather take a $75k Cayman R drive it, invest $10-15k in an index fund and you're going to have more fun (driving) and better returns (S&P 500).

Obviously, people can do whatever they want with their money, but my goal with cars is to have a great time and hopefully not lose every penny I put into it. Just remember, when you go on a vacation, you get $0 in return, you get memories only, which are great. With cars, everyone wants to be a dealer or an investor and make money. Confusing to me why we can't treat cars more like fun or a decent place to park money and maybe just lose 25% of the value of the car and less like an investment.

Side note, I'm speaking from the point of view of one of the less wealthy guys on here so this isn't a wealth perspective it is a mindset perspective.

Originally Posted by husker boxster
This one brought pretty good $$$ for being dirty, having a mileage discrepency and needing work. Seems like he rolled it out of the garage w/o bothering to even clean it. He's lucky it wasn't on BAT - their peanut gallery would've lit him up for the mileage issue.

But it give me hope for when mine's ready to sell next month (maint done and detailed).
I think this is strong money for sure. PDK (great transmission, but proven to bring less), mileage discrepancy and not what I would call clean for various reasons, $56,500+ fees is very strong. I actually think if it was a 6 speed it would be fair, but even if a dealer wanted to pick it up if it was a 6 speed, I don't think there'd be a ton of money to be made on it.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:42 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
...by the time I was done with paying tax (8%), sorting it to my standards (engine pulled, tons of stuff replaced), yearly climate controlled storage during winter, insurance (agreed value), I've probably made a little money
Exactly, people forget the holding costs of a vehicle are much higher than most financial assets.
Zeus993 (02-01-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 06:48 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Cayman R. 29k miles. WP0AB2A89CS793497

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...e-cayman-r-56/
plafondles (02-20-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 08:06 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

If M. Walker doesn't buy this car then I'm calling him out as a fraud.

99% sure this is the car he was driving in his recent video. Colour, seats, gearbox, plates, Spyder side vents, it all lines up.

Quick Reply: The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread