Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder : MT vs PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 11:19 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts

Sport Chrono doesn’t have much a of a purpose in a MT.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:22 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_2011
Agree completely. It's a relatively inexpensive add after the fact from Porsche parts these days, and who doesn't want their blank buttons filled out!? Even so I can't justify doing it. Having had sport mode before in other Porsche's I don't care at all for the more sensitive throttle mapping when activated and a more relaxed PSM don't hold much appeal to me for driving on the road. All, personal opinion there.

For a PDK car the difference is marked, and while the price is higher at around $1,200 before install, I'd have to say that would be worth it to me.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:46 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KrisA

Now's the time to grab Recaro Pole Position's and be happy. They have the same basic shape and construction as the 997 buckets, which I'm guessing were also made by Recaro. They come with a couple of cool fabric options. They look spectacular. They are a FRACTION of the price as used 997 buckets. I'm biased...

Zero bias here and perhaps this is the 'dad' in me talking but I have to chime in and say, removing airbags from a car that came with them from the factory seems like a very very bad idea on multiple levels. From an insurance standpoint alone but more importantly one's own safety. On the track with a harness, have at it, but no chance in heck I would be driving in these on the street. Everyone is entitled to make their own choices of course. It is clear to see why the sport buckets appeal as they tick all the lightweight, bucket design, and the airbag boxes, all with the Porsche factory stamp of approval. For sure they are expensive and whether or not one needs/wants/prefers/can afford buckets are another matter entirely. Personally, I'd be plenty happy driving my sofas 8 days a week before removing factory airbags from the car and putting myself or any occupant in danger.

To the OP: PDK/manual is always such a personal decision you really can only make it for yourself. Drive each if you're able but you are fortunate in this case that both really are great.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:37 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 83 Posts

The Porsche Mansion has many Spyder Garages. Over here are the garages for the happy Spyders with PDKs and heated sofa seats. Over yon are the garages for the delighted Spyders with M/Ts and LWBs. Neighboring these are the garages for the joyful Spyders with every other conceivable variation of specs (for most Spyders are virtually one-of-a-kind). But there is only one garage, whose concrete floor is riven with jagged cracks, whose garage door lift mechanism is festooned with cobwebs, whose windows are caked with so much dust and grime that the sunlight can hardly penetrate to the interior. That garage is reserved for unhappy Spyder owners. No one has ever seen a car parked in THAT garage. (A Rocky and Bullwinkle Fable)

Last edited by SCMike; 08-14-2023 at 01:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SCMike:
John McM (08-14-2023), Patrick3000 (08-17-2023), Spyder_2011 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 08:52 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
Zero bias here and perhaps this is the 'dad' in me talking but I have to chime in and say, removing airbags from a car that came with them from the factory seems like a very very bad idea on multiple levels. From an insurance standpoint alone but more importantly one's own safety. On the track with a harness, have at it, but no chance in heck I would be driving in these on the street..
Everyone has their own risk tolerance, mine is obviously higher than yours. I do have to say though that I've never understood this argument. Removing airbags from a car that had them = very very bad idea. Driving an old G50 911, is that an even worse idea? Pole Position seats were standard, or optional, in a lot of Porsche models over the years, I see no difference in driving one of those older models or adding them to a newer car. I get that disabling safety systems and then passing the car on to another owner and not telling them is unethical but when it is your own car it's make a choice and live (or die) with the consequences. I ride a bicycle on the road and feel like I'm about a million times more likely to die doing that (or by crashing on singletrack on my MTB) than from dying due to the lack of thorax airbags in my non daily driven old Porsche.

Safety is a weird argument, one I wish that as a society we could align to that taking personal risks is fine (ie: I should be able to street drive an Ariel Atom like the Brits do) but putting others at risk is not OK. (ie: I shouldn't be allowed to drive a lifted truck with aftermarket bumpers). My daughter drives a MK4 VW which is less safe than my Cayman, if I was all about safety I'd get her into a new Atlas.

Anyways, back on topic, manuals all the way!
Old 08-14-2023, 09:54 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Taking personal risk is fine, which is why my next sentence was 'Everyone is entitled to make their own choices of course'.

Naturally everyone has different risk tolerances, but I'll bet a pair of bucket seats you didn't phone your insurance and let them know you removed the side airbags from the vehicle they're insuring. So what happens god forbid you're in an accident from a coverage standpoint? I guess that's all part of the risk. The point here is, there are reasons why aftermarket seats are a fraction of the price of OEM. Simple.

Old 08-17-2023, 05:49 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
Agree completely.
Three words: Soft rev limiter

That alone is reason to have the Sport Chrono on a manual transmission Porsche. Otherwise, you are never experiencing the full power or acceleration of the car. The next best reason is PSM and ABS - you get 4 settings for each instead of 2 and they really are ideal for track driving. Throttle on the other hand...it's annoying. The increased throttle sensitivity reduces the ability to modulate partial throttle. I wish I could have the PSM and rev limiter features, but with normal throttle sensitivity.

Last edited by Zach L; 08-17-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:32 AM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
Three words: Soft rev limiter

That alone is reason to have the Sport Chrono on a manual transmission Porsche. Otherwise, you are never experiencing the full power or acceleration of the car. The next best reason is PSM and ABS - you get 4 settings for each instead of 2 and they really are ideal for track driving. Throttle on the other hand...it's annoying. The increased throttle sensitivity reduces the ability to modulate partial throttle. I wish I could have the PSM and rev limiter features, but with normal throttle sensitivity.
This leaves me with a few questions:

So are you implying that the rev limiter kicks in at a higher RPM? Does that also mean that when you hit the limit you’re in range 2? It might explain why some cars have more range 2.

I hadn’t heard that Sport Chrono impacts ABS settings and I also wasn’t aware that ABS settings could be changed at all, how do you go about making these adjustments for cars with and without Sport Chrono?

I know with non sport chrono car PSM is either on or off, does Sport Chrono have a way to change the PSM so it allows for more wheel spin before it kicks in?

Last edited by Spyder_2011; 08-18-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-18-2023, 09:21 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

To me it seems like these 6 speed sport button features may only appeal to cars that will be tracked. As a street driver with 0 range 1's here, none of these peak my interest at all and leave me with a touchy throttle pedal to boot. For PDK though, it's worth it for the quicker shifts alone though.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:23 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 269 Posts

Responses in red...

This leaves me with a few questions:

So are you implying that the rev limiter kicks in at a higher RPM? Does that also mean that when you hit the limit you’re in range 2? It might explain why some cars have more range 2.
The cars have a hard rev limiter, but there is a soft rev limiter which kicks in prior to it, so it's not so abrupt when hitting that wall. The hard limiter RPM does not change with Sport Chrono, it's just the soft limiter is removed. While these rev limiters are past the engine's peak power RPM, there are situations like in autocross and coming up to corners at certain tracks where you need that extra RPM of full power to get to the next cone or the start of the braking zone. This may not matter to most, but I've had the fastest outright time at 2 of my last 3 autocross events and regularly track my car. I have no doubt the soft rev limiter would have meant a different result at the autocross events.

I hadn’t heard that Sport Chrono impacts ABS settings and I also wasn’t aware that ABS settings could be changed at all, how do you go about making these adjustments for cars with and without Sport Chrono?
ABS intervention is lessoned with Sport Chrono on. Also, the ABS system is the primary tool the PSM uses in intervening for traction control purposes. The intervention is reduced for both traction control and simple braking purposes.

I know with non sport chrono car PSM is either on or off, does Sport Chrono have a way to change the PSM so it allows for more wheel spin before it kicks in?
PSM is never off completely, whether the car has Sport Chrono or not. With a switch for PSM and a switch for SC, there are 4 possible combinations rather than the standard 2 if not equipped with SC. I've used all 4 setting combinations on track to understand better. The best setting IMO is leaving PSM on while also having SC on. This allows significant wheel spin - for throttle steer, trail braking, and more. The PSM will not intervene until you truly start to lose control. It's quite astonishing how well it delineates a purposed slide from an unintentional one, but it does it perfectly. Porsche engineers did an absolute superb job here.
How much could be learned if we all read our Owner's Manual. All of the above is right in there ;-)

Last edited by Zach L; 08-18-2023 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SCMike (08-18-2023)

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder : MT vs PDK?