Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Advice on sale of Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 04:54 AM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Advice on sale of Spyder

Hello folks, I've got a 2011 Spyder which I bought nearly four years ago that I'm intending to sell in the not so distant future. It came to me with some light mods which are an aftermarket throttle body, plenum, intake and cat back exhaust. I do not have stock exhaust but I do have the other stock parts which accompanied the car when I bought it. I'm going to be sending the car down to an independent Porsche shop in the Minneapolis area to get everything checked over and fresh fluids so ready to go deal. So my question is should I have them put the stock parts back on the car while it's there? Is it considered more or less desirable to have the mods on the car?

Old 04-06-2024, 08:03 AM
Dana R
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

If I were an interested buyer, I'd simply appreciate having the stock parts available. I'd also want you to leave the aftermarket stuff on. Get an oil analysis and a DME report.

Last edited by Dana R; 04-06-2024 at 12:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gandalfthegray. (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 01:08 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.
Hello folks, I've got a 2011 Spyder which I bought nearly four years ago that I'm intending to sell in the not so distant future. It came to me with some light mods which are an aftermarket throttle body, plenum, intake and cat back exhaust. I do not have stock exhaust but I do have the other stock parts which accompanied the car when I bought it. I'm going to be sending the car down to an independent Porsche shop in the Minneapolis area to get everything checked over and fresh fluids so ready to go deal. So my question is should I have them put the stock parts back on the car while it's there? Is it considered more or less desirable to have the mods on the car?
What are the details of your Spyder? Colour? LWBS? MT or PDK? Mileage?
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2024, 01:59 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

It's a white manual with sofa seats. 43k miles. Not ready to list yet though. Want to get everything ready first and have a proper listing.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:08 AM
dancingwhale
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a white manual with sofa seats. 43k miles. Not ready to list yet though. Want to get everything ready first and have a proper listing.
Consider me interested as well. Would also appreciate the original parts included but mods installed, but I know that’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:17 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,989 Likes on 2,058 Posts

Returning back to stock will generally be the most attractive to buyers, but it does depend on the mods. Exhaust is something many of us would do and is probably one of the lesser offensive mods to most people.

I would take the other parts back to stock. You aren't going to get any ROI on those parts, in my opinion, when selling your car. However, even if you have to pay $500 in labor to swap out those parts, you'll recover that in the cost of selling the parts and there will be less questions when selling your car.

Think of it like this, any part that isn't factory on the car is likely going to raise a question when selling. If the entire car is stock, there is really nothing to argue with as a buyer.

Best of luck with the sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
gandalfthegray. (04-07-2024), islaTurbine (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 10:04 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll talk with the shop and see what their schedule is for when I can get the car down to them.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:07 AM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll talk with the shop and see what their schedule is for when I can get the car down to them.
I will be in a similar situation and plan to sell my car (not the Spyder which my wife refuses to let me sell) with the buyer's choice of keeping mods on car and including original parts or putting back to stock and I keep mods. Would hope that for your car the mods wouldn't be a problem as hopefully it won't be going into a museum but rather will be driven and loved.

Quick Reply: Advice on sale of Spyder