Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

1:41 laptime @ Laguna Seca in the spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yeah, I like the design, but they still won't pass 90dB sound, which is why I started to think that adding the supertrapp discs at the ends might be the ultimate solution.
Roger that... these were from a few years ago and our 3.9 flier (Jesse M) and we added the extra part which got it down to 93/92... Then laguna went ape-XHEEHX... Even with the button closed all the time 90 is tough
Old 03-27-2014, 12:29 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the one you need to work with! I'm running tubi, with a Laguna pipe, and Laguna still requires a lift for me... Not fun!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I'm the one you need to work with! I'm running tubi, with a Laguna pipe, and Laguna still requires a lift for me... Not fun!
Ian, you should try installing some of those supertrapp discs on your pipes!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:28 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

That's what I'm thinking.... But don't want to kill too much HP either!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Hehe there you are Yep I think those Supertraps you were talking about would be a good place to start eh?
That's what I'm thinking.... But don't want to kill too much HP either!
Yep it can be a bit robbing I know...
Old 03-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

I'll try to stop by the shop next week. We can talk about our options then.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Great video, Joe.
i've always wanted to add LS under my belt (heck, moved across the country so I have the opp'ty)... but doesn't look like that'll happen for me. Your Rems passed (which I'm surprise).. but I also have 200c cats.
Where are they taking the sound db? And can I get away with one gear taller and lifting for that section?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:48 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lithium1330
Great video, Joe.
i've always wanted to add LS under my belt (heck, moved across the country so I have the opp'ty)... but doesn't look like that'll happen for me. Your Rems passed (which I'm surprise).. but I also have 200c cats.
Where are they taking the sound db? And can I get away with one gear taller and lifting for that section?
Thanks, man. They are taking the sound measurements at the exit of turn 5 on the right side of the track. Many cars get away with short shifting and/or lifting to pass sound just for that section of the track. Thankfully, I didn't have to do either because the car passed. This was on a cold and cloudy morning too, which tends to give higher sound readings. I have heard of stock 987.1 not passing sound, and I have also heard of 981 with sport exhaust not passing sound. This wasn't a fluke event, either. I ran at a 90dB event last year as well with no problems. Remus on a 987.2 will pass.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Joe, at the risk of belaboring the point, in case you didn't see this posted in a racing & DE thread.

Watch how the navigator reaches out to keep the driver's head from falling over at the very end. The speed didn't seem to be that high either.

Strange that there is no proper harness solution for the Spyder after all this time.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
Joe, at the risk of belaboring the point, in case you didn't see this posted in a racing & DE thread.

Watch how the navigator reaches out to keep the driver's head from falling over at the very end. The speed didn't seem to be that high either.

Strange that there is no proper harness solution for the Spyder after all this time.
Thanks. Seen the video. Was doing some research yesterday. Will get one before my next track day. I'm hoping that the shoulder padding and the actual Hans device gives me the extra shoulder height needed to make the harness work properly.
One thing to note though, the car in the video above had no airbags. I would argue that his neck would not have been strained as much with airbags. Nonetheless, I'm going to get a Hans.

"does a similar job to the airbag in your car"

Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

timely since Nico won last week in Australia ! Glad you're going HANS Joe, I got my harnesses in yesterday and found the set-up pretty solid, even with the too-high shoulder belt attach points...

A tidbit from our local PCA winter workshop - Joe from Stable Energies advised to adjust the shoulder belt length so the adjuster rests on your hans device. Thought it looked pretty short during set-up, but it worked very well in the car, the adjuster pushes against the hans device and not whatever mush is in your driver's suit. Give it a try...

Also looked at the harness bar issue. The upper bulkhead pad is a separate piece of carpet-covered foam and could be removed or altered. I'll try to get over to Stable Energies week after next and see if the bar can't be customized for the Spyder...

Donn

p.s. - you can get quick release helmet clips, guess the video pre-dates them...
Old 03-30-2014, 08:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by blue44
timely since Nico won last week in Australia ! Glad you're going HANS Joe, I got my harnesses in yesterday and found the set-up pretty solid, even with the too-high shoulder belt attach points...
Awesome. That is what I wanted to hear.

A tidbit from our local PCA winter workshop - Joe from Stable Energies advised to adjust the shoulder belt length so the adjuster rests on your hans device. Thought it looked pretty short during set-up, but it worked very well in the car, the adjuster pushes against the hans device and not whatever mush is in your driver's suit. Give it a try...
Will try that too!

Also looked at the harness bar issue. The upper bulkhead pad is a separate piece of carpet-covered foam and could be removed or altered. I'll try to get over to Stable Energies week after next and see if the bar can't be customized for the Spyder...
Sweet! Thanks, Donn! Looking forward to hearing more!

p.s. - you can get quick release helmet clips, guess the video pre-dates them...
Did you go quick release or post anchor?
Old 09-06-2019, 09:11 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you for sharing!

Quick Reply: 1:41 laptime @ Laguna Seca in the spyder