Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

1:41 laptime @ Laguna Seca in the spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 1:41 laptime @ Laguna Seca in the spyder

I had a great time this past Friday at Laguna Seca with a few other rennlisters as well. The track was wide open with only about 8 people in the open passing run group, and only 5 by the end of the day. Plenty of space to practice. Amazingly, and thankfully, the remus exhaust on my spyder STILL PASSES the ridiculous 90dB sound limit. I now have 4 track days on the NT01s. I will take off the wheels today and take some pictures of how much tread is left. The wear looks pretty even, I think. I think I can still get one more track day out of them.

New personal best time of 1:41. Skip to the end to see a GTR do a very aggressive pass.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:30 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 208 Posts

Good time, interesting that the Remus passed.
Sounds like with the time you didn't have to lift or short shift past the shack or run turn away pipes?
Interested to see the tire wear with toe settings and cycles/time on track.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to switch to those tires. I was hoping to get more than four track days out of them. I still had good fun on Friday on my PSSs.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Thanks for posting Joe. Impressive heel/toe work!

Car is sounding good too.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by A432
Good time, interesting that the Remus passed.
Sounds like with the time you didn't have to lift or short shift past the shack or run turn away pipes?
Interested to see the tire wear with toe settings and cycles/time on track.
Amazingly, the remus passed sound with flying colors. It passed last year too, but I had heard that they were getting more strict this year so I got worried. No problems. No lift. No short shift.

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I'm about to switch to those tires. I was hoping to get more than four track days out of them. I still had good fun on Friday on my PSSs.
I'm taking off the wheels today and will get back to you. I'm pretty sure I can get one more track day out of them, which would equal 5 total. You will be faster on NT01 for sure, but having fun is what it's all about!

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thanks for posting Joe. Impressive heel/toe work!

Car is sounding good too.
Thanks afshin! Admittedly, the mic makes the car sound better than it does in reality. I personally would like the car louder, but a few idiots that live nearby a racetrack won't allow it.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

OK, wheels off and pics taken. This is more like 3.5 track days since one day was only 2 sessions because of rain, but let's call it 4 track days. They look better than I thought they would. I definitely have one more day left in these. The passenger side tires are more worn because Laguna is run counter clockwise. The outer edges still look 'slightly' more worn, so maybe in my next alignment I'll bump it up to -3.0 camber from -2.8. My last set lasted me 4 days, but the -2.4 camber really wore out the edges prematurely. I think -3.0 might be the ticket.

Front Driver side

Front Passenger side

Rear Driver Side

Rear Passenger side:

7 track days on my brembo type III pccb replacements. Still look good. Some cracks, but to be expected. My PFC08 pads still look good too. The fronts look about 2/3 of the way through, and the rears maybe 1/4. I'm sure the pccb spec oversized rotors help these things last longer.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those NT-01's have plenty left in them. You can run them to completely bald and just before (or after if you will) the cords, just have to check them more often from now on. They aren't any good in the wet anyways so tread is not an issue.

Nice lap BTW.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oops
Old 03-23-2014, 10:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wanna911
Those NT-01's have plenty left in them. You can run them to completely bald and just before (or after if you will) the cords, just have to check them more often from now on. They aren't any good in the wet anyways so tread is not an issue.

Nice lap BTW.
Thanks, Dez!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Joe, excellent driving.

Oh, and those tires look almost brand new!! (OK, maybe not the RF)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Joe, excellent driving.

Oh, and those tires look almost brand new!! (OK, maybe not the RF)
Yeah, I don't know why that passenger rear wore like that. The wear pattern is a bit different than I'm used to seeing. The most outer edge look ok, but then a little bit further in it's worn more...?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:45 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great video Joe !

Donn

p.s. hans and arm restraints next...
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Good driving. Those nittos have at least three days left on them, probably more. With even wear (good alignment) you can drive them completely bald for couple of days before cording.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:11 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Joe:

Which Remus system do you have, I'm at least looking at the Titanium one for weight reduction. My Spyder came with the Porsche Sport Exhaust and its weight and noise alone do not "turn me on"
Old 03-24-2014, 11:04 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Joe: Which Remus system do you have, I'm at least looking at the Titanium one for weight reduction. My Spyder came with the Porsche Sport Exhaust and its weight and noise alone do not "turn me on"
I have the stainless steel version of the Remus, not titanium.

You should keep in mind that the sound in the video is NOT what the car sounds like in real life. It's actually kind of underwhelming in real life, which is why it passes the 90dB limit. The mic was placed right behind the license plate, so it makes the car sound much meaner.

About 2 years ago, we used a decibel meter to measure the exhaust noises from different systems. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I remember:
Stock: 88dB
Oem sport exhaust: 88dB. Yes. The same peak.
Remus: 92dB
Tubi: 94dB

My thoughts on the Remus are that it sounds more aggressive in the low range without drone, but at the peak it is about the same as stock. Tubi really does sound the best, IMO, and still has no drone. But, it won't pass sound at Laguna.

Quick Reply: 1:41 laptime @ Laguna Seca in the spyder