Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder - The UnConvertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 01:53 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Kinda ridiculous to conclude that the top is what makes or breaks either of the Spyders.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:24 AM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Kinda ridiculous to conclude that the top is what makes or breaks either of the Spyders.
Not really. Different things are important to different people. To some, it's the appearance of a car. To some it's the way it drives. To some is the perceived performance (published 0-60 or ring times), to some it's the comfort of the the cabin...and to some, it's the top!

I have cars that will easily out perform the 981 Spyder, so for me, as great as it is, the 3.8 wasn't as important to me as the way the top works. I prefer the look of the 987 top, and absolutely prefer the removable rear curtain. So for me, the top DOES make or break the Spyder. And I don't think my reasoning is ridiculous at all!

If the 981 had the side windows and top of the 987, and a slightly more Spartan interior, I would have bought one of those! I love the nose and sides of the newer car, as well as the engine, but without the top like the 987, I'd rather have a GT4....
Old 05-12-2016, 01:00 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

+1^

My wife and I took a serious look at a 981 Spyder as we had an option to get one from the local dealership, but we really preferred everything about the 987.2 Spyder when we sat down and listed out the pro's/con's, aside from the 3.8 liter engine.

That's just us, of course, and for others, the 981 Spyder is the perfect car and I am quite happy for those people.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

They're both great cars. I just think most people who own a convertible think of the top as that thing that you put down as quickly and as often as you can, not as a feature of the car. But that's why we have variety in the world, different perspectives.

BTW, there's way more to the 981 than just the motor.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:54 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

They're both great cars. I just think most people who own a convertible think of the top as that thing that you put down as quickly and as often as you can, not as a feature of the car. But that's why we have variety in the world, different perspectives.

BTW, there's way more to the 981 than just the motor.
Indeed.

And not just 30k more dollars!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:24 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, it has never taken me 10 mins to take the top up and down. It took this guy about 5 mins, and he is slow.

Here, I think this is Afshin in action, taking the top down, about 45 secs without the rear window

It takes me about 2 mins to take it down, with the rear window. And 2 1/2 mins to put the top up.

I bought the car without much thought about the top. I am the original owner. I knew I am going to use it like as if it was a motorcycle. A fair weather sports car. The purpose of a sports car, or any sports car is for joy rides.

If you are in a rush, commuting to work, then you are going to have to accept the car's limitation of not having a convenient roof. I too am astounded by how many people who still dis the original Spyder top, for a forum full of "car guys" you would think they'd "get it" for what is it. The design is as intended, there is no shortcomings. Every time you take to top down gives you that sense of occasion.

Now that I've owned it for a few year, I now think the top is one of its coolest features. In this case, being unique is cool. Other manufacturers all mulled over similar design tops, but because the top is still really one of a kind, which makes it so much more special. I doubt that any manufacturer, including Porsche will have the guts to pull of anything like it again.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:28 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

They're both great cars. I just think most people who own a convertible think of the top as that thing that you put down as quickly and as often as you can, not as a feature of the car.
That is the difference!

In the 987 spyder the top is that thing you put up when you need to
Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by bassie81
That is the difference!

In the 987 spyder the top is that thing you put up when you need to
Which is the same in both cars. I just don't see how the rear window difference is anything but much ado about nothing. If I want airflow with the top up, I just open the windows.

If I was comparing the cars, the top wouldn't even be on the list of things I would have focused on. It simply comes down to which you like better and whether you're willing to pay for the newer model. Arguing for the 987 based on the rear window is like claiming the 997 is a better car than a 991 because of the ash tray.

Is a 2000 Civic Del Sol better than a 2016 Civic because the rear window went down?
Old 05-12-2016, 04:48 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,629 Likes on 898 Posts

Which is the same in both cars. I just don't see how the rear window difference is anything but much ado about nothing. If I want airflow with the top up, I just open the windows.

If I was comparing the cars, the top wouldn't even be on the list of things I would have focused on. It simply comes down to which you like better and whether you're willing to pay for the newer model. Arguing for the 987 based on the rear window is like claiming the 997 is a better car than a 991 because of the ash tray.

Is a 2000 Civic Del Sol better than a 2016 Civic because the rear window went down?
Having owned multiple 987.2 Spyders and now a 981 Spyder, I have to agree the roof design of the original is better than the 2nd generation. I loved running the sunshade only. You get a lot more airflow! That is the one option I wish Porsche kept. Windows down only on the 981 doesn't compare.... Plus it helped with blindspots as well. Personally this doesn't make the 987 better than the 981... just different. If I had to choose one, it would be the 981 though.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:03 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I finally drove the 987.2 yesterday here in So Cal and loved the look of the car. The top was up and I think it's brilliant. It's certainly not convenient, but the idea of eliminating the rear plastic window piece makes it a great option. The top "makes" the car as far as I'm concerned, and I think Porsche will likely not do this again, so I feel this is an element of this car that will keep it unique for a long, long time. The car felt great, but to be honest, I couldn't stretch its legs much on the short drive. The car had 55K miles, so frankly, I think I'll keep looking for a lower miles option out there. I do like the car in Boston, it's AC delete (Hmmmm) and over $60K, but the spec is great and I do like these cars in silver.

The seller of the 987 just took delivery of a 981 (Agate grey on red interior) with LWB's, 6 speed and holy crap, did it look great. Vastly different from the 987 in so many ways. I didn't drive it, but I'm sure it would have been incredible. I'm still drawn to the 987 due to it being so unique, limited and focused. I don't see how anyone can go wrong with either car.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

I would never run a convertible with a sunshade but hey I'm Italian, I enjoy the sun on my face as much as the wind so that element has no value for me.

As far as the aesthetics , while I think the 987 Spyder is a great looking car, certainly the pick of the 987 series, I find the the 981 Spyder top to be much more aesthetically pleasing and integrated with the car. But the quirky looks of the 987 top could have its charm too.

It really was a simple as this. As much as I was tempted to buy the 987 Spyder and came very close. Life is too short to be busy with a top like that, looking at weather reports to see if showers are in the forecast to determine if you should leave the top up or down. My 981 Spyder is more than a weekend toy. Now if you live in the desert or even SoCal then maybe it makes sense as sudden rain showers and overcast days are far more rare.

But for me and my lifestyle that top was a non starter. Other people may differ. It doesn't surprise me that 987 Spyder owners are partial to their ride and we 981 Spyder owners are partial to our ride. While I liked and still like the 987 Spyder I made my choice after objectively considering both cars.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:44 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to agree about the top, too. :-)

Running with the sunshade only was fantastic on a really hot day, and a unique experience. The rush of air through the cabin was - literally - cool.

Overall, I prefer the 981 Spyder for all sorts of reasons, but I do wish it still had that ability.

On the other hand, where many state a preference for the 987 Spyder windows' profile and the way their shape leads into the humps, I always felt that sharp angle at the back edge was rather jarring and not in keeping with all the curves.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:56 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
I would never run a convertible with a sunshade but hey I'm Italian, I enjoy the sun on my face as much as the wind so that element has no value for me.

As far as the aesthetics , while I think the 987 Spyder is a great looking car, certainly the pick of the 987 series, I find the the 981 Spyder top to be much more aesthetically pleasing and integrated with the car. But the quirky looks of the 987 top could have its charm too.

It really was a simple as this. As much as I was tempted to buy the 987 Spyder and came very close. Life is too short to be busy with a top like that, looking at weather reports to see if showers are in the forecast to determine if you should leave the top up or down. My 981 Spyder is more than a weekend toy. Now if you live in the desert or even SoCal then maybe it makes sense as sudden rain showers and overcast days are far more rare.

But for me and my lifestyle that top was a non starter. Other people may differ. It doesn't surprise me that 987 Spyder owners are partial to their ride and we 981 Spyder owners are partial to our ride. While I liked and still like the 987 Spyder I made my choice after objectively considering both cars.
Ha-Ha...life's too short for that top? The time it took you to write that I could have taken mine off and on ..twice.

Be Careful this board is wasting your life away.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:13 PM
rsixx6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the owner of the Spyder silver Spyder w/ buckets for sale [really in Maryland even though I am in Boston ] I can attest to the advantage and difference in air flow. Top up without rear shade and windows down is basically a convertible experience w/ a sunshade-umbrella over your head in case you're sensitive to the sun beating on you for longer drives.

Furthermore, if you are only dealing with that portion of the top you can get it on or off in a literally less than a minute.

Also - I cannot agree more concerning the Fairings / Curves. The 987's lines and size are a Huge advantage, IMO, to the 981's big bulky size and less rounded fairings.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:22 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Indeed.

And not just 30k more dollars!
2011 base MSRP was $62150, 2016 base MSRP was $82100.

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder - The UnConvertible