Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder Original owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 987 Spyder Original owner

Who is still an original owner of a 987 Spyder.

I am and still love every minute in this great car, it will be at yet another Parade small trailer in tow
Took deliver November 2012
2012 Aqua Blue ( one off Blue/Black interior)
PDK Sport buckets, Nav/ Bose Ceramic brakes Sport Chrono interior trim painted exterior color. Paddle shifter. Porsche sport exhaust ( would not order again) Xpel protective front protection

Added improvements: Oil pressure gauge in OEM Sport Chrono bagel. Hidden trailer hitch, Rennline takedowns. Bilstein coilovers, GT3 lower control arms Front grill screens

What a fun vehicle and even my wife ( part of the reason for PDK) says "its a keeper" 31,000+ miles
Old 04-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Who is still an original owner of a 987 Spyder.

I am and still love every minute in this great car,
it will be at yet another Parade small trailer in tow
Took deliver November 2012...Aqua Blue ( one off
Blue/Black interior)...31,000+ miles...
Congratulations, Jack. You are a better man than
I am. Sold my custom ordered 'Aqua/Carrera Red'
2012 one year after taking delivery. It was a great
car...I miss it.

Hopefully I'll see you briefly at the Parade in Spokane.
I am flying up just for the weekend to see my concours
friends prep their cars in the garages & parking lots.
That is always great fun. And I'll stay to see the actual
show on Monday.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Regensburg, Bavaria
Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer put a couple grand on my odometer but I was the first one to title it, does that count? It's simply the best sports car I have ever driven. It sounds like we have the same options except mine has regular Brembo brakes. If there is any negative about the car at all it's my "bordering on paranoia" obsession about the only places I can park it. I would take it out much more if we lived in a world where everyone respected beautiful cars.

PS I was initially thrilled to have PSE as an option and it's still better than stock, yet given the cost and performance I think it should have been designed better. A stay on switch setting shouldn't require some toy aftermarket carnewal box which I initially thought was a NSA tracking device. (didn't come with the needed keychain switch either so it's essentially a paper weight) Besides the setting options, a larger valve, two valves or different placement should have been used to really beef up the sound when PSE is on.

Last gripe, is it only me or does anyone else think illumination of the chrono function would have looked badass?

Last edited by terbiumactivated; 04-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I can't comment on the chrono clock as mine is neatly wrapped in foam and tie wrapped inside the dash. That wart is where I mounted my real oil pressure gauge. All the chrono functions are duplicated in the dash anyway.

I have posted this picture before, it was taken as we went from Texas to the Monterey Parade and will be doing the same for Spokane. So if you see a 70+ couple getting out of a blue Spyder and Sport buckets don't laugh the seats are great, the exit sometimes a bit of a challenge
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm convinced the omission of the oil pressure gauge is do to wacky customers thinking they have a problem where they don't. My 944 had one and when at idle it would be lower than at RPM which to me is normal. I'd bet a lot of 944 owners inundated the dealers wanting atonement for the discrepancy. Either way EVERY Porsche should have an oil pressure gauge, it's pathetic that my 280ZX had one and my Spyder does not. I also restored the magnetic drain plug my 944 had, why not? It can't hurt...
Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my 2011 Spyder in May of 2010 on an impulse. I had just bought a 2009
C2S coupe a few months earlier and had no intention of buying anything else.

It was on the showroom with 264 miles on it. The salesman kept urging me to test drive it. It was a sunny day good for top down driving and I made the mistake of saying OK.

They discounted the car to me at a time when Spyder's were hard to get, so since it was my birthday I justified buying it.

I have owned a number of very entertaining cars to drive including a 2001 Lingenfelter 427 Corvette Z06, a 2005 Ford GT and a 2014 GT3, but for sheer driving fun on the street the Spyder is beats them all. It's a keeper!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I"m second owner. Love the trailer hitch picture. No coddling of the spyder for you! The amount of joy I get from this car is a bit embarrassing. I really love driving it that much. They are going to have to pry the keys from my cold dead fingers as I don't see myself ever trading this car in. Now adding another Porsche, yeah maybe, but getting rid of the spyder, NEVER! And look, it comes with a cup holder!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:05 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I was fortunate enough to order my Spyder back in January of 2011 and I took delivery in early March. I searched 6 months for a spec that matched what I wanted but I couldn't find it. Specifically I wanted the manual, buckets and a full leather black interior. The full leather was not a common option and the buckets were also tough to find since most dealers ordered them with sport seats. I still owe Only1Buck a big thank you for helping me find an allocation. With the economy tanked I was also able to get a discount which was icing on the cake.

It is very hard to believe that it's been just over 6 years. I do coddle mine and it is spoiled immensely both in its mechanical and cosmetic maintenance but I do also drive it the way it's meant to be driven when time permits. The drives are as special now as they were the very first time I took it out, pure pleasure/zen/bliss. And yes even after 6 years I'll go out to the garage and just take in the lines and beauty of this car. It's not often a car not only impresses the eye but also the mind.....yes I'll be holding on to mine.

A few shots, the first to show that I do actually drive it and the second are at recent concours.
Attached Images    
Old 04-21-2017, 09:32 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I'm surprised at the lack of responses to this thread. With just over 700 Spyders produced for the US I would have expected more people to have kept theirs and responded. Oh well for those that have them enjoy and there is no cure for the smile
Old 04-21-2017, 11:43 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me.

I was looking at a brand new 2011 here in the NY TriState area, a black one, when Afshin gave me a tip that his local dealer in Mass had an allocation for a 2012. I was surprised that he had a 2012 allocation, at that time PCA hadn't announced the fate of the Spyder, everyone was still looking for 2011 allocation. 2012 MY was produced for three months before PCA axed it.

Placed the order in March. I also got a discount. Got exactly what I wanted, buckets, stick shift, PSE. A week later PTS opened up, and was contemplating PTS. It would have been Polar Silver and black if PTS, but in the end I decided to stay with the red interior, which I prefer with Platinum silver, and full leather which I also like. Took delivery in May. The only mods are clear side markers, oem matching dead pedal, Das Schlid trunk protector, and clear bra. Next mod will be a red leather fuse door by Exclusive Options.

I have about 6,800 miles now. Only a couple of small issues. A switch for the clutch pedal went, so it was giving me a "depress clutch" light even if I was stomped all the way. That was replaced under warranty. One of my TPMS is going. The other three is fine. Will be changing tires this year, so I will also change the tpms this year.

Like many of you, this car will be a "keeper" for me.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:08 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a 6-year journey with my Spyder, and we're still going strong. Technically I wasn't the first - the car was initially sold at one of the Florida dealerships and later sent to the Monterey, CA dealership by the original owner. (I have unverified remnants of a story behind this....) The car languished on the showroom floor for several months - I had decided I wanted a Spyder, but was waiting a few months to order my own as there were a few items on or missing from the display car relative to my ideal specification. Then came that fateful Friday lunch, scanning Craigslist, and there is an ad from the dealer - car was discounted $12K and they wanted it gone by the end of the weekend. $12K can make me accept a few "non-ideal" configuration items, so Saturday I asked my wife to meet me at the dealer for a "test fit" - the car passed, and it was mine! The savings paid for Spyder wheels and PSE, a couple must-haves to cap off the 6MT Sport Bucket interior in full Carrera Red leather.

The car had all of 250 miles on it at the time of delivery to me. I daily-drove the car for a few years, and for the last 3 or so it's been relegated to more occasional use. I believe I'm up around 48K miles now. Only glitch was one bad coil, which, in another long story, led to my wife's ownership of a 2016 Cayenne GTS. Definitely a keeper, along with my first Porsche love, my 993tt....

Old 04-22-2017, 01:05 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Some lovely spyder shots .. I'm the third owner for my spyder. I've given it the love that it deserves .. Driven it as a daily driver in the PNW since I first bought it. We had a MINI convertible when the spyder was first announced and at that time I needed a C4S for my DD duties.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:12 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Here's mine
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2017, 01:16 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Amar you picked up your Spyder early enough to be considered an original owner in my book!

Here's another picture of my Spyder at a recent outing with my wife.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2017, 05:38 AM
Karl02832
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have put almost 34k miles on mine since I bought it.
Incidentally, it's one that I think Afshin has checked out at Norwell while he was shopping for his.

(I think that's his Spyder next to mine while he still lived out this way.)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Karl02832; 04-22-2017 at 05:41 AM. Reason: add a picture

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder Original owner