Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Macan

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 08:22 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

side by side sales will be VERY interesting to watch play out…this is going to be fun - not sure the EV will win - but it will be fun to watch.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:31 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I really really hope that Porsche comes out with a Macan E-Hybrid, for those many of us who want some electric propulsion but who just aren't ready for all-electric due to range anxiety. I'll bet that a Macan E-Hybrid could be a big seller for Porsche, especially if they can increase the current 14-kWh E-Hybrid battery pack to 18 or 20 kWh. But I'll buy a Macan E-Hybrid even at 14 kWh.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

On a related note, Jag just announced next XJ sedan will be EV only....
Old 03-03-2019, 02:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Will it be called the Maycan?
Old 03-03-2019, 03:42 PM
WinterCharm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Not a lot of details in the press release. I was hoping for more info.

Also, hard to tell if it means the new Macan will be purely electric or some combination of plug in hybrid and pure electric. For Porsche to go pure electric only on their highest volume vehicle would be a bit surprising.
Not *that* surprising. The writing is on the wall, and the Macan Is already a vehicle most of the "purists" do not like. It doesn't harm them, and it's also a high volume product that continues to be in demand, and Porsche is just chasing growth -- EV demand is also increasing as people have started to realize the benefits...

It also allows Porsche to get better at sourcing components for, and building electric cars at scale. The Taycan's 20,000 units is a start, but they should be increasing to 40,000 in 2020. Then, they'll be increasing to whatever numbers are needed for an electric Macan by 2021-2022
Old 03-04-2019, 01:05 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought 40,000 Taycan was the 2019 goal, the 20,000 is the pre-sales they already made in 2018.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:00 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by WinterCharm
Not *that* surprising. The writing is on the wall, and the Macan Is already a vehicle most of the "purists" do not like.
Interesting you say that. I'd think that the Cayenne is much less appealing to a "purist" -- whatever that means (I assume you mean old Porsche people who only like 2-door Porsches)...
The Macan is much sportier as a driver than a Cayenne is.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:30 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Will it be called the Maycan?
Old 03-04-2019, 06:18 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

I like all Porsches - more so when I can get an EV.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:54 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Interesting you say that. I'd think that the Cayenne is much less appealing to a "purist" -- whatever that means (I assume you mean old Porsche people who only like 2-door Porsches)...
The Macan is much sportier as a driver than a Cayenne is.
As one of those so called "purists" I see both the Cayenne and the Macan in the same light. I consider neither one to be a real Porsche as both are really just reworked Audi / VW platform SUV's. With that being said and though I disagree, many consider the Cayenne and Macan to be the only reason Porsche is afloat and able to continue building sports cars. This made it all the more concerning when they originally announced that it would be going full electric soon. Now that Porsche has clarified they will be offering both EV and ICE side by side I could care less what they do with it as I'd never buy either version but I do supposedly benefit from the capitol generated by them allowing the sports cars that I do care about to continue so this is a good thing from my "old" perspective.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
As one of those so called "purists" I see both the Cayenne and the Macan in the same light. I consider neither one to be a real Porsche as both are really just reworked Audi / VW platform SUV's. With that being said and though I disagree, many consider the Cayenne and Macan to be the only reason Porsche is afloat and able to continue building sports cars. This made it all the more concerning when they originally announced that it would be going full electric soon. Now that Porsche has clarified they will be offering both EV and ICE side by side I could care less what they do with it as I'd never buy either version but I do supposedly benefit from the capitol generated by them allowing the sports cars that I do care about to continue so this is a good thing from my "old" perspective.

As someone who owns both a 911 and a Cayenne, I can tell you without a doubt that the Cayenne is a Porsche. Yes, it's based on a reworked VAG platform, but the difference between it and the Touareg and Q7 of it's generation is clear enough that even my wife, a non-enthusiast, clearly could feel the difference in driving between all three during even a brief test drive.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:23 AM
tnikolov
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

As someone who owns both a 911 and a Cayenne, I can tell you without a doubt that the Cayenne is a Porsche. Yes, it's based on a reworked VAG platform, but the difference between it and the Touareg and Q7 of it's generation is clear enough that even my wife, a non-enthusiast, clearly could feel the difference in driving between all three during even a brief test drive.
As someone who has a 991.2 TTS, a Macan Turbo and an X5, I can concur. I've had an SQ5 before too, which is the exact same size as the Macan. And it was BORING to drive. When I drive the Macan it's not hard at all to guess its a Porsche. It's just so nimble and agile for a 2 tonne SUV. It corners so much better than even an X5M. Same goes for the Cayenne.

Each time I've driven one, I've had the desire to immediately go and trade my X5 for it.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:46 AM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

$60k for 3.5s to 60, 300+ range, 15 minute recharge to 80% is gonna be hard to be beat.

That's the Model Y specs announced yesterday.

I Love my MacanGTS as many of you know but competition for that space gonna be fierce. Audi, BMW and MB have nothing to put up against.

Quick Reply: Electric Macan