Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would be Porsche's response to Plaid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 04:45 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 293 Posts

Old 09-24-2020, 05:06 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,861 Likes on 4,809 Posts

I am not sure Porsche even benchmarks their EV against Tesla, much less pay attention to them.

This is sort of like asking if Mercedes is going to respond to Toyota making a faster Camry.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:08 PM
bdoviack
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I am not sure Porsche even benchmarks their EV against Tesla, much less pay attention to them.

This is sort of like asking if Mercedes is going to respond to Toyota making a faster Camry.
Actually the Taycan was tested / benchmarked against the Model S during development. Here is some info and video:

https://insideevs.com/news/340653/po...-stelvio-pass/

Direct Video Link:

Last edited by bdoviack; 09-24-2020 at 06:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Backmarker (10-02-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 08:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,861 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Originally Posted by bdoviack
Actually the Taycan was tested / benchmarked against the Model S during development. Here is some info and video:

https://insideevs.com/news/340653/po...-stelvio-pass/

Direct Video Link:
https://youtu.be/3nbZBOoaRY8
Porsche tested the Taycan against a lot of EVs on the market at that time.

But that’s different than benchmarking a car against them.

If Porsche really was benchmarking the Taycan against a Model S or 3, they’d have better stated range to begin with and dumbed down the interior.

They didn’t. Because the Taycan does not compete against a Tesla. At least not in Porsche’s eyes.
The following users liked this post:
ABusLux (09-26-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 09:16 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Porsche rejected Tesla's method of pre-heating the batteries since it's so detrimental to battery health. A whole lot of engineering went into the Taycan and 918 to manage battery heat. They won't throw that all away for a party trick.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hula:
acoste (09-25-2020), neoprufrok (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 06:32 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyefrog
You may have missed the Battery Day Presentation but there were specific gains discussed that would directly impact the Plaid S. I don't know if the Plaid they used to benchmark the specs released has any or all of these improvements but using the cell pack as a structural member while also reducing the weight 50% would be very noticeable. But I'd really like to see what impact bringing the center of gravity more central by reducing the cells at the perimeter has on handling.
But to your point, I would define:
  1. 54% increase in range
  2. 56% reduction in cost
  3. 69% reduction in manufacturing capex
  4. 14% increase in charging speed
  5. 50% less weight
  6. 5X increase in energy
  7. 6X increase in power
quantum gains.
5X increase in energy, 6X in power???? You are more clever than that, please.

In 2018 Elon said very much the same. "We could make a $25k car in 3 years" = 2021

Old 09-25-2020, 06:43 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dilusha
Elon basically copy pasted the some of the numbers of Roadster to Plaid.

But what would Porsche do now?
Lots of interesting changes in the supercar segment. Many classics won't survive. Rimac bought Bugatti. Who would have thought that? Porsche will be fine, they are going to release a tri-motor soon, possibly after Plaid. My question is what will Lamborghini, Ferrari or McLaren do.

Elon had to exaggerate some of the numbers. Notice he didn't say how fast the Plaid is on the 1/4 mile. That's because Lucid announced it on Sunday that they have a car faster than 9.9s.
Lucid doesn't have an official time on Laguna Seca yet. The 1:33 was timed by a viewer.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:15 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
Notice he didn't say how fast the Plaid is on the 1/4 mile.
You mean except for the part where he said it would do a 1/4 mile in less than 9 seconds..?

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/te...ile-range/amp/
Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcd1
You mean except for the part where he said it would do a 1/4 mile in less than 9 seconds..?

You're right. Elon did mention a 1/4 mile time. Nonetheless, as I said earlier: We'll wait and see?
Just another way for Elon to talk about cars and feats-prematurely-IMO, I might add.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:21 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Porsche tested the Taycan against a lot of EVs on the market at that time.

But that’s different than benchmarking a car against them.

If Porsche really was benchmarking the Taycan against a Model S or 3, they’d have better stated range to begin with and dumbed down the interior.

They didn’t. Because the Taycan does not compete against a Tesla. At least not in Porsche’s eyes.
I don’t agree. A few years ago I had an interesting discussion with a Porsche engineer. This was before the Taycan was announced but after Porsche had stopped making statements like “we will never make an electric car”. The engineer was lamenting a number of Tesla’s advantages, in particular the fact that wasn’t held to the same profit margins Porsche’s shareholders hold it to...

It’s clear Tesla is setting the yardstick everyone else is comparing themselves to. Porsche differentiates itself with a better quality, interior and driving experience but they, like every other manufacture, are also being compared on range, performance, etc.

I don’t believe Porsche chooses not to compete on range but instead that they can’t (while maintaining profit margin). Largely because their battery cost structure is currently too high. 350 mile range x nearly .5 kWh per mile x $200 per kWh battery cells alone + cooling, etc = $45k for the battery pack, far more expensive than any single part in any one of Porsche’s ICE cars. Something needs to give with that in the BOM if they want to maintain profit margins (which the engineer made clear was not negotiable). Meanwhile Tesla’s numbers are closer to 350 x .35 x $140 + = 20k, significantly less for the Model 3, and the market decrees they don’t need to make the same profits Porsche does (for now).

Battery prices are falling fast and hence Tesla’s advantage looks set to erode. In the process areas Porsche is stronger (chassis dynamics, quality, etc) will gain in importance. Personally I do shop the price bracket that puts Tesla in direct competition with Porsche. So far Tesla’s getting my money, however I do believe Porsche will get more competitive over time. In response Tesla seems set to move the range bar up to ~500 miles in order to maintain separation. We’ll see how much customers care- with a good charge network I suspect range is of diminishing value beyond ~300 miles to most people.

That said Porsche looks between a rock and a hard place on a number of fronts. Tesla’s got a big software advantage in my eyes (how current is your Porsche’s nav software?). It’s pushing model upgrades multiple times per year. It’s in a position to buy whatever experience it’s lacking (interior designers, suspension gurus, etc). It’s got a systemic battery advantage that’s likely to keep them ahead in terms of range and vehicle weight for the foreseeable future. And perhaps most importantly it’s fighting with the gloves off: it’s not trying to protect legacy products or high profit margins. I’m hopeful that Porsche can close the gap with future electric models but I think it’s in for a fight. Tesla “wasn’t competing with” BMW, Mercedes, etc a few years ago either. We know how that’s turned out...

Last edited by Petevb; 09-26-2020 at 04:02 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Petevb:
AlexCeres (09-25-2020), Backmarker (10-02-2020), bdoviack (09-26-2020), daveo4porsche (09-29-2020), Dyefrog (09-26-2020), MaxLTV (09-28-2020), Pokerhobo (09-26-2020), Wiley Hodges (09-26-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:24 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 951 Posts

In 2018 Elon said very much the same. "We could make a $25k car in 3 years" = 2021
That’s taking the numbers out of context. It’s 5x increase in energy for a 3x or 4x increase in cell volume. So the net is closer to a 50% improvement.

most of these improvements are real and solid engineering enhancements that don’t require any unproven new chemistry. Nuts and bolts optimizations. While the headline cost reductions are for a $25K car, these improvements are tantalizing for higher performance vehicles. A 50% improved range means it’s possible to significantly reduce the battery pack size and still get 200mi. Less weight. A lot of possibilities.

anyway, being off by 2 years in a prediction for a 25k car that many people thought impossible seems like a pretty reasonable margin of error.

Elon is a lunatic, but folks are denigrating Tesla’s engineering at their industry’s peril. Porsche relying on Asian subcontractors for the most critical and differentiated aspect of their cars is a fundamental business vulnerability. There are huge opportunities in vertical integration here. The German government seems to slowly be getting the gist that sending the future of their industry to South Korea is just dumb. Slowly. Maybe too slowly.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
Dyefrog (09-26-2020), twospyders (10-16-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:29 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I don’t agree. A few years ago I had an interesting discussion with a Porsche engineer. This was before the Taycan was announced but after Porsche had stopped making statements like “we will never make an electric car”. The engineer was lamenting a number of a Tesla’s advantages, in particular the fact that wasn’t held to the same profit margin standards Porsche’s shareholders hold it to...

It’s clear Tesla is setting the yardstick everyone else is comparing themselves to. Porsche differentiates itself with a better interior and driving experience but they realize they, like every other manufacture, are also being compared on range, performance, etc. And I don’t believe that they choose not to compete on range but instead they can’t (while maintaining profit margin) largely because their battery cost structure is currently too high. 350 mile range x nearly .5 kWh per mile x $200 per kWh battery cells alone + cooling, etc = $45k for the battery pack, far more expensive than any single part in any one of Porsche’s ICE cars. Something needs to give with that in the BOM if they want to maintain profit margins (which the engineer made clear was not negotiable). Meanwhile Tesla’s numbers are closer to 350 x .35 x $140 + = 20k, significantly less for the Model 3.

Battery prices are falling fast and hence Tesla’s advantage looks set to erode. In the process areas Porsche is stronger in (chassis dynamics, quality, etc) will gain in importance. Personally I do shop in the price bracket that puts Tesla in direct competition with Porsche and so far it’s a Tesla that’s getting my money, however I do believe Porsche will get more competitive over time. In response Tesla seems set to move the range bar up to ~500 miles in order to maintain separation. We’ll see how much customers care- with a good charge network I suspect range is of diminishing value beyond ~300 miles to most people.

That said Porsche looks between a rock and a hard place on a number of fronts. Tesla’s got a big software advantage in my eyes (how current is your Porsche’s nav software?). It’s pushing model upgrades multiple times per year. It’s in a position to buy whatever experience it’s lacking (interior designers, suspension gurus, etc). It’s got a systemic battery advantage that’s likely them stay ahead in terms of both range and vehicle weight for the the foreseeable future. And perhaps most importantly it’s fighting with the gloves off in that it’s not trying to protect and legacy products. I’m hopeful that Porsche can close the gap with future electric models but I think it’s in for a fight. Tesla “wasn’t competing with” BMW, Mercedes, etc a few years ago either. We know how that’s turned out...
mostly agree except a 500mi range means they can ship a sportscar with half the weight and still have a larger range than the taycan. That is a massive advantage. Porsche’s position is better because Tesla has more important and more valuable markets to capture before really doing not-rocket sled style sports cars. The auto market is huge, and Tesla can just consume BMW and a few others whole without really impacting the bigger conglomerates.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:42 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zcd1

The car at the moment can't do it under 9 sec. This is Elon bluffing. You think they measured it under 9 and Elon doesn't want to say a number? At the same time sharing Laguna Seca time to the last digits?

Here is Lucid's tweet from Sunday

Last edited by acoste; 09-25-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:13 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 293 Posts

The car at the moment can't do it under 9 sec. This is Elon bluffing. You think they measured it under 9 and Elon doesn't want to say a number? At the same time sharing Laguna Seca time to the last digits?

Here is Lucid's tweet from Sunday

https://twitter.com/LucidMotors/stat...96014581661696
It's past 9/24 already. I don't see what Lucid Air posted and nothing on their website. Lucid Air hasn't delivered a single car to customers yet so why don't you have the same pessimism with them?
The following 2 users liked this post by Pokerhobo:
Dyefrog (09-26-2020), Zcd1 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 08:46 AM
Dyefrog
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

I wasn't trying to be clever. It's from Tesla's presentation. Make of it what you will. It's simply stating that the larger cell will naturally have more capacity.

Also, your above quote about the $25k Tesla is wrong.
June 2018, "I think we'll do a compact car in less than 5 years". 2018 +5=2023.

Quick Reply: What would be Porsche's response to Plaid?