Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does everyone order with the Performance+ Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 02:10 AM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Calkar
But LCA and LKA are different. LCA is just a blind spot warning but LKA will help center the car in the lane. LKA is only available as part of the InnoDrive option in the configurator. Maybe they changed the configurations for 2021?
Lane keep assist including traffic sign recognition is a standard feature of the 2021 Taycan. It is listed under "comfort and assistance systems". I have lane keep assist on my current 992 and it basically will provide a Taptic feedback in the steering wheel when you wander out of you lane without using the turn signal, it also slightly fights you to keep car in the lane. I only had it activated once and that was my first day of ownership on the drive home from dealer. Immediately, turned it off.

Active lane keep (ALK) is a feature of the "InnoDrive"

Expansion of the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) by additional functions:

Porsche InnoDrive: Offers optimum regulation of driving speed based on navigation data and radar and video sensor technology to deliver greater comfort, increased fuel efficiency and the customary Porsche driving feel. Driving speed is predictively adapted to speed restrictions and road topography (gradients, corners). At the same time, Porsche InnoDrive controls acceleration and deceleration (including coasting).
Active Lane Keep extends the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and lane-keeping functionality on major inter-urban roads and motorways. The system follows the queue of traffic ahead and lane markings, within the limits of the system, and keeps the vehicle in the middle of the lane by continuous steering adjustments – even in congested conditions

Active Lane Keep (ALK): Another feature of Porsche InnoDrive including Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is Active Lane Keep Assist. It combines ACC and Lane-Keeping functionality on major roads and highways. The system follows the line of traffic ahead and lane markings, within the limits of the system, and keeps the vehicle in the middle of the lane by continuous steering adjustments - even in congested conditions. Active Lane Keep Assist is beneficial to stress relief and greater comfort on long journeys.

Note: All described functions are subject to system limits and require permanent monitoring of the driver
Old 02-15-2021, 03:39 AM
Calkar
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
Lane keep assist including traffic sign recognition is a standard feature of the 2021 Taycan. It is listed under "comfort and assistance systems". I have lane keep assist on my current 992 and it basically will provide a Taptic feedback in the steering wheel when you wander out of you lane without using the turn signal, it also slightly fights you to keep car in the lane. I only had it activated once and that was my first day of ownership on the drive home from dealer. Immediately, turned it off.

Active lane keep (ALK) is a feature of the "InnoDrive"

Expansion of the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) by additional functions:

Porsche InnoDrive: Offers optimum regulation of driving speed based on navigation data and radar and video sensor technology to deliver greater comfort, increased fuel efficiency and the customary Porsche driving feel. Driving speed is predictively adapted to speed restrictions and road topography (gradients, corners). At the same time, Porsche InnoDrive controls acceleration and deceleration (including coasting).
Active Lane Keep extends the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and lane-keeping functionality on major inter-urban roads and motorways. The system follows the queue of traffic ahead and lane markings, within the limits of the system, and keeps the vehicle in the middle of the lane by continuous steering adjustments – even in congested conditions

Active Lane Keep (ALK): Another feature of Porsche InnoDrive including Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is Active Lane Keep Assist. It combines ACC and Lane-Keeping functionality on major roads and highways. The system follows the line of traffic ahead and lane markings, within the limits of the system, and keeps the vehicle in the middle of the lane by continuous steering adjustments - even in congested conditions. Active Lane Keep Assist is beneficial to stress relief and greater comfort on long journeys.

Note: All described functions are subject to system limits and require permanent monitoring of the driver
Thanks for clarifying. But it does seem like we do need Innodrive as it provides Active Lane Keep + ACC to achieve similar functionality as Tesla's basic AP (lane centering and follow the flow of traffice with ACC). Correct?
Old 02-15-2021, 04:07 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

But LCA and LKA are different. LCA is just a blind spot warning but LKA will help center the car in the lane. LKA is only available as part of the InnoDrive option in the configurator. Maybe they changed the configurations for 2021?
Sorry...I meant LKA....I could get it as option separate from innovative.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:11 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks for clarifying. But it does seem like we do need Innodrive as it provides Active Lane Keep + ACC to achieve similar functionality as Tesla's basic AP (lane centering and follow the flow of traffice with ACC). Correct?
I think that choice will be up to the individual.

From my understanding, in InnoDrive feature ties the ALK and ACC together with GPS data.

I am not sure exactly what that entails, but I would imagine as the vehicles on the road are getting more and more connected to GPS, they are reporting their position on the highway, which in turn is integrated into the system for some predictive AI.

We did not order InnoDrive, as the car will sit in park more than being driven, therefore that $$ is going towards aftermarket wheels/tires.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I did order the performance battery and my own very subjective opinion is that I wouldn't order a Taycan without it.

With regard to ACC, LCA, LKA, and Innodrive I ordered the first two and skipped the last two which were part of a single $3610 option on the 4s. Again, this is totally subjective and is not meant as a put down of anyone who has different priorities, but I have absolutely zero interest in a car that is able to drive itself handsfree, or aspires to. Just my antiquated $.02.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-15-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:12 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I have all 4 on my Panamera but I bought it off the lot. If I were to order a car, I'd get LCA and that's it. I find LKA annoying, Innodrive useless (or worse), and ACC nice, but not $2000 nice.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:57 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 156 Posts

I am trying to spec out a Taycan RWD and trying stay within the budget. This will be a car for my wife who's moving from a Model X so InnoDrive is likely to be a must-have option. As I am looking into the Performance+ Battery upgrade, it seems like it offers <10% of extra range and in the case of the base Taycan, it will not improve the 0-60 time. This car will be used exclusively for in-town driving and I will not anticipate we need more than 120 miles per day. And we live in CA so winter weather is not an issue. This is going to be a leased vehicle so re-sale value is moot.

So I am just curious if everyone orders the Performance+? And if we do not order the battery upgrade, is there any other negatives which I may not have considered?
the larger battery offers better performance as well as some additional range
for me the inno drive comes very close to AP in the tesla and I believe it can be upgraded, if you do not order it you cannot have lka, only lca which is just a warning about slipping out of your lane

Last edited by kort677; 02-19-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kort677
the larger battery offers better performance as well as some additional range
for me the inno drive comes very close to AP in the tesla and I believe it can be upgraded, if you do not order it you cannot have lka, only lca which is just a warning about slipping out of your lane
LCA doesn't really warn if you are slipping out of your lane. What it does do is give a visual warning in the side view mirror if there is something alongside or in your blind spot. It's pretty useful, especially in a low slung vehicle with compromised visibility.
The following users liked this post:
pokingaround (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 07:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Porsche’s combinations of speed & lane keeping controls are NO WHERE NEAR as capable as Tesla autopilot- and Tesla’s autopiliot has numerous issues, but generally works better than most any other vehicle in production except GM’s super-cruise- and I’m only talking about autopilot NOT Full Self Driving...

I can show you at least 35 well marked places on normal road in ideal conditions less than 5 miles from my home in Aptos where the Porsche will drive you off the road into the ditch and even my 2014 P85D Model S with auto-pilot 1 is vastly better.

that being said for stop & go traffic, and most highway conditions the Porsche System is more than adequate and can take quite the load off the boring driving where you’re simply following the flow of traffic...

NOTE: we’re not even talking about the things auto-pilot can do that porsche’s doesn’t even claim it can do (automatic lane changes, taking an off ramp, stop light recognition w/stop & go controlled by the vehicle)

I simply talking about engaging the auto-pilot systems and have the vehicle “follow the road” and maintain speed and not run into cars in front of you going slower

Tesla’s “follow the road” functionality is VASTLY superior to what I’ve observed in my Taycan or any other vehicle I’ve had the opportunity to touch.

in two dimensions: maintain speed and track traffic (i.e. don’t run into the car in front of you) & lane keeping
  1. Maintain speed and track traffic: Porsche system is 98% as good as Tesla (Tesla is better at anticipating the car next to you merging and adjusting speed to “let it in” - Porsche’s system has NO anticipation a car is coming up along side of you - it will adjust speed only once it’s in front of you)
  2. Lane Keeping: Porsche’s system on a highway - 85% as good as Tesla - there are “freeway” segments where Porsches’ system will drive you off the road less than 5 miles from my home, my Tesla is rock solid at these locations - get the porsche system off the highway and just on “marked” road’s it’s about 40% as good as Tesla at keeping the car in the lane and on the road - there are places less than 1/2 mile from my home where Porsche’s lane keeping will literally drive you across the painted lines into a ditch if you let it....

this is not religous and Autopilot is far from flawless and has lots and lots and lots of issue, but Porsche’s system is vastly inferior to Tesla’s far from perfect system, and Porsche doesn’t care cause they don’t market it like it’s supposed to be as good - it’s good enough in narrow circumstances to still be useful - it’s also unlikely to get better without buying another Porsche - they just don’t have the culture/motivation/ability to update their automated driving systems, and quite frankly they don’t care - if you’re buying a porsche and thinking they will update the self driving features over time to get better - ROFL - good f’ing luck - they can’t even use OTA update to fix 18 month old KNOW debilitating defects with their current software (12V issues, PCM issues, OTA module issues, phantom SOS calls) - if you think Porsche’s releasing improved self driving software for previous model year vehicles you simply aren’t paying attention.

if you must have the best auto-driving vehicle (with all it’s imperfections and there are many many many) Tesla is the only game in town.

if you want a sufficient system to maintain speed and do some lane keeping porsche’s system isn’t too bad and mostly works in for highway duty.

Tesla’s autopilot system is demonstrably better than Porsche/Audi in production and getting better about every 3 months with aggressive software updates - with all the pros & cons that entails from a risk management point of view. but I own both systems, use both multiple times a week - and you’re just wrong or ignorant if you think the two systems are comparable or even in the same league.

I find Porsche’s system sufficient for the cases where I want that type of system to do driving (mostly highway & stop & go) - and while Tesla’s system is ‘better’ in a wider range of circumstances it’s not good enough to truly ‘trust’ it and it still makes a LOT of mistakes - but way way way fewer than Porsche’s system - and it’s still no good enough to trust…

there is however only one company with an auto-pilot feature in the production vehicles - and I’ll do head to head with Porsche system any day - I know about 50 places where my Model X could tow the Porsche out of the ditch it would drive into.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 02-19-2021 at 08:32 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Needsdecaf (02-22-2021), pokingaround (02-22-2021), steve9 (02-25-2021), tomhartzell (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 08:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I find Porsche’s system sufficient for the cases where I want that type of system to do driving (mostly highway & stop & go) - and while Tesla’s system is ‘better’ in a wider range of circumstances it’s not good enough to truly ‘trust’ it and it still makes a LOT of mistakes - but way way way fewer than Porsche’s system - and it’s still no good enough to trust…
And therein lies the problem, for me. The Tesla system may be better than Porsche's but it's still not trustworthy enough that I'd be willing to put my life in it's "hands".

If Porsche feels they must offer autonomous features to be competitive and appeal to a particular demographic then they should make certain that they work REALLY well, It appears, unfortunately, that they don't.

My preference would be that they continue to focus their efforts on building really great driver's cars, not cars that turn drivers into passengers. The whole concept of self driving vehicles, much less self driving Porsches, just leaves me cold. Too old school, I guess.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:30 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

@Mike in CA I agree - I just want to make sure that no one has any delusions that the two system are remotely equivalent - the Tesla system is vastly better than Porsche’s and still not good enough. Porsche is sufficent for cruise control duty.

I find the Porsche system sufficient but demonstrably inferior to Tesla’s.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
kort677 (02-23-2021), Mike in CA (02-19-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 11:37 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
@Mike in CA I agree - I just want to make sure that no one has any delusions that the two system are remotely equivalent - the Tesla system is vastly better than Porsche’s and still not good enough. Porsche is sufficent for cruise control duty.

I find the Porsche system sufficient but demonstrably inferior to Tesla’s.
From what I gathered, the Porsche system is sufficient for my purpose to be able to take a hands off the wheel for a couple seconds to reach for a drink or similar. And I don't think I will trust it on tricky section of the road. Even my Tesla with AP3 and FSD is not trustworthy enough. It is still very much the responsibility of the driver and his/her common sense at play here. But the stress reducing factor of some slight offload on highway cruising or stop and go traffic is the goal here.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 09:51 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

From what I gathered, the Porsche system is sufficient for my purpose to be able to take a hands off the wheel for a couple seconds to reach for a drink or similar. And I don't think I will trust it on tricky section of the road. Even my Tesla with AP3 and FSD is not trustworthy enough. It is still very much the responsibility of the driver and his/her common sense at play here. But the stress reducing factor of some slight offload on highway cruising or stop and go traffic is the goal here.
But...But....Robotaxis!

Quick Reply: Does everyone order with the Performance+ Battery?