Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does everyone order with the Performance+ Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 12:53 AM
Calkar
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Does everyone order with the Performance+ Battery?

I am trying to spec out a Taycan RWD and trying stay within the budget. This will be a car for my wife who's moving from a Model X so InnoDrive is likely to be a must-have option. As I am looking into the Performance+ Battery upgrade, it seems like it offers <10% of extra range and in the case of the base Taycan, it will not improve the 0-60 time. This car will be used exclusively for in-town driving and I will not anticipate we need more than 120 miles per day. And we live in CA so winter weather is not an issue. This is going to be a leased vehicle so re-sale value is moot.

So I am just curious if everyone orders the Performance+? And if we do not order the battery upgrade, is there any other negatives which I may not have considered?
Old 02-14-2021, 09:43 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

If self driving is important feature for your wife I am not sure innodrive will make her happy. This may not be the right car for her.
The following users liked this post:
pokingaround (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 10:32 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

I’ve owned 5 Tesla’s and currently own a Model X (2017 P100D) - Innodrive will be a huge disappointmetn vs. Tesla Autopilot - all you really need is LaneKeeping and Adaptive Cruise control and you can skip Innodrive. If you want an actual auto-pilot Innodrive is _NOT_ the system you’re looking for…

if all you want is speed managemnet and lane keeping for highway driving and some stop/go traffic then AdaptiveCruise+LaneKeeping _OR_ Innodrive is sufficient but demonstrably less capable than Tesla’s current auto-pilot. Also the Taycan is a “low” sports car that is not as easy to enter/exit as an SUV and has a lower seating position. If you want the easy entry/exit and the higher seating position of an SUV (like the X) and the cargo capacity might I suggest a super cheap 3 year lease on the current Audi eTron SUV.
Needsdecaf (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 10:52 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I’ve owned 5 Tesla’s and currently own a Model X (2017 P100D) - Innodrive will be a huge disappointmetn vs. Tesla Autopilot - all you really need is LaneKeeping and Adaptive Cruise control and you can skip Innodrive. If you want an actual auto-pilot Innodrive is _NOT_ the system you’re looking for…

if all you want is speed managemnet and lane keeping for highway driving and some stop/go traffic then AdaptiveCruise+LaneKeeping _OR_ Innodrive is sufficient but demonstrably less capable than Tesla’s current auto-pilot. Also the Taycan is a “low” sports car that is not as easy to enter/exit as an SUV and has a lower seating position. If you want the easy entry/exit and the higher seating position of an SUV (like the X) and the cargo capacity might I suggest a super cheap 3 year lease on the current Audi eTron SUV.
Seconded the E Tron. Or iPace.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:39 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Still find it ridiculous that this is even an option on the Taycan. It should be standard on every model for the price. Guess it's just Porsche being Porsche.
Zcd1 (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 01:05 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Seconded the E Tron. Or iPace.

Originally Posted by lowpue
If self driving is important feature for your wife I am not sure innodrive will make her happy. This may not be the right car for her.
As I mentioned in the other thread, what she needs are only ACC and Lane Keeping but when I attended a configuration Zoom meeting from Porsche, they said ACC and the Premium package does not include lane keep assist so I need Innodrive? It sounds like if I don't order InnoDrive but only ACC and Premium package, it will only have Lane Change Assist. She is only looking for occasional need to take the hand off the wheels for seconds to grab a water bottle or lotion her hand. She never trusted the Enhanced AP on her Model X and on the other hand, I love the AP3 FSD on mine just a little too much. So her expectation is quite low, as long as it is comparable to the original AP1, she is good. I hope the InnoDrive can at least matches AP1.

And the e-Tron is on our short list along with the new e-Tron GT. We have had 4 Tesla's in the past 6-7 years already and wants something different and I still have mine as a commuter.

Any thoughts on the Performance+ Battery upgrade?

Last edited by Calkar; 02-14-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:53 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Still find it ridiculous that this is even an option on the Taycan. It should be standard on every model for the price. Guess it's just Porsche being Porsche.
You could say that about most of the options, but it’s standard Porsche.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:20 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by Calkar
As I mentioned in the other thread, what she needs are only ACC and Lane Keeping but when I attended a configuration Zoom meeting from Porsche, they said ACC and the Premium package does not include lane keep assist so I need Innodrive? It sounds like if I don't order InnoDrive but only ACC and Premium package, it will only have Lane Change Assist. She is only looking for occasional need to take the hand off the wheels for seconds to grab a water bottle or lotion her hand. She never trusted the Enhanced AP on her Model X and on the other hand, I love the AP3 FSD on mine just a little too much. So her expectation is quite low, as long as it is comparable to the original AP1, she is good. I hope the InnoDrive can at least matches AP1.

And the e-Tron is on our short list along with the new e-Tron GT. We have had 4 Tesla's in the past 6-7 years already and wants something different and I still have mine as a commuter.

Any thoughts on the Performance+ Battery upgrade?
For your use case , sounds unnecessary. Clearly you have plenty of EV experience to understand your needs realistically. You know there is no such thing as too much range however only you know how much driving you actually do.

Given you’ll be leasing and don’t have to worry about reselling the “less desirable” battery I say go ahead and save the cash! Taycan EPA range is pessimistic and you should be fine with 120 miles / day. Even at 400 Wh/mile (being horribly conservative) 120 miles is only 48 kWh. That’s not even 2/3 of the small pack. And it’s likely the RWD consumption is more like 300-325 Wh/mile. I think you’re fine.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 02-14-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:07 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

I am not yet man enough to turn down extra range regardless of cost - I've never owned an EV that had too much range for my needs - and I still sometimes end the day at 20% battery and wonder where it all went.

my philosophy is more battery is a good thing…but that causes me to be blind to opportunities to save money.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (02-15-2021), Gus_Smedstad (02-14-2021), r553 (02-16-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 03:25 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
For your use case , sounds unnecessary. Clearly you have plenty of EV experience to understand your needs realistically. You know there is no such thing as too much range however only you know how much driving you actually do.

Given you’ll be leasing and don’t have to worry about reselling the “less desirable” battery I say go ahead and save the cash! Taycan EPA range is pessimistic and you should be fine with 120 miles / day. Even at 400 Wh/mile (being horribly conservative) 120 miles is only 48 kWh. That’s not even 2/3 of the small pack. And it’s likely the RWD consumption is more like 300-325 Wh/mile. I think you’re fine.
That's what I thought too. For long trip, I will be taking the Tesla as it has much better charging network. BTW, anyone'd done a NorCal to LA trip in a Taycan with the Ionicity network?

I am not yet man enough to turn down extra range regardless of cost - I've never owned an EV that had too much range for my needs - and I still sometimes end the day at 20% battery and wonder where it all went.
my philosophy is more battery is a good thing…but that causes me to be blind to opportunities to save money.
20% is not bad. I have been on a trip from LA back to NorCal with 2% left when I arrived at home in winter. I have learned that as long as we don't forget to plug in the night before, it is very hard to run the EV dry. Before we got the first Tesla, range anxiety was the #1 concern on our list, and after 7 years of EVs, I'd say that it is the least concern. I have run out of gas due to laziness to visit the gas station but have not once run out of charge as the car is fully charged every morning. Also, the $6000 for 10% extra range does not compute. It will only make sense if you do a lot of long distance trips (assuming Ionicity fast charge network is fully build out) or you need to visit a lot of offices during the day.

Old 02-14-2021, 03:59 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 211 Posts

My 4s was an off the lot lease and it doesn't have the performance battery. I am coming from a Tesla so to be honest if you want range, get a model s plaid with 500 miles instead. 200 vs 225 really about the same, both big compromises for driving dynamics and less battery also means less weight. That said the family cruiser is a big suv so this is a commuter car only.

I am amazed at the stability and cornering of the Taycan with pdcc ptv and rws- so so good vs model 3 performance. But man do you still feel all that weight.
Calkar (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 08:33 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Calkar,

It's interesting that they require you to get innodrive to get options you want....for turbo s they were independent options....this must be a strategy to get people to upgrade the base model.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:48 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Calkar,

It's interesting that they require you to get innodrive to get options you want....for turbo s they were independent options....this must be a strategy to get people to upgrade the base model.
Ah. Now I get it, as you are referring to the 911.

So I went into the 911 configurator and I know what you mean now. For the 911, the LKA is a $1220 option and ACC is $2000 and Innodrive is $3020. So it is probably a "better" deal to get just the Innodrive for the 911. And for Taycan, the Innodrive is $3610, LCA is $950 and ACC is $2050. Lane Keep Assist is not even an option. So I guess I will have to order the InnoDrive for the Taycan.
daveo4porsche (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 09:23 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Calkar
Ah. Now I get it, as you are referring to the 911.

So I went into the 911 configurator and I know what you mean now. For the 911, the LKA is a $1220 option and ACC is $2000 and Innodrive is $3020. So it is probably a "better" deal to get just the Innodrive for the 911. And for Taycan, the Innodrive is $3610, LCA is $950 and ACC is $2050. Lane Keep Assist is not even an option. So I guess I will have to order the InnoDrive for the Taycan.
Nope...talking about my taycan turbo s...i do not remember having to order the way you are... I could have chose to get just ACC and LCA without innodrive....i just decided on innodrive anyway.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:41 AM
Calkar
Advanced

Nope...talking about my taycan turbo s...i do not remember having to order the way you are... I could have chose to get just ACC and LCA without innodrive....i just decided on innodrive anyway.
But LCA and LKA are different. LCA is just a blind spot warning but LKA will help center the car in the lane. LKA is only available as part of the InnoDrive option in the configurator. Maybe they changed the configurations for 2021?

Quick Reply: Does everyone order with the Performance+ Battery?