Versus Tesla 3 and Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 11:08 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcd1
Your video and opinion are no more a "data point" than are the comments from me and 2 others in this thread saying the ride/handling is good the way it is for its intended purpose. They're all just opinions.
yes they are opinions, and some opinions are based on solid data to form those opinions. I have owned 2 Model Ss and a model 3 LR performance and I can state unequivocally that my taycan 4S is far more comfortable to sit in, to drive in and the car's overall performance is far better than any current tesla. the plaid model is still in the realm of vaporware. there is just no match to the ride that the taycan offers.
the teslas are very fast sedans that offer sedan like ride feel while the taycan ride it truly a sports car ride, in the tradition of porschre.
the tesla fan bois can wail all day long about this reality, while a tesla might beat a taycan on a 0-60 race 99.9% of driving is not a launch from a standing start.
The following users liked this post:
nycebo (04-04-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 11:09 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Me as well. Odd bunch of tree huggers and idiots in general over there. My 3 is super fun to drive and it makes sense for me now in current situation. As mentioned before - there's a Taycan on the horizon.
the 3 is a fine daily driver, but it isn't a taycan. and yes there is an over abundance of odd thinkers over at that tesla forum.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:28 AM
flygdchman
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Old 03-26-2021, 12:59 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kort677
I have owned 2 Model Ss and a model 3 LR performance and I can state unequivocally...
Another opinion, no more or less valid than anyone else's.

Nice strawman argument, though.

Last edited by Zcd1; 03-26-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Your video and opinion are no more a "data point" than are the comments from me and 2 others in this thread saying the ride/handling is good the way it is for its intended purpose. They're all just opinions.
My video shows a clear behavior of repeated vertical oscillation of a vehicle while driving. That's a data point. It is a fact, which does not care about your opinion.

In all my years of driving, I've never experienced this much of this phenomenon, this regularly, in any car. That's a subjective evaluation. Finally, what makes it an opinion is that I find this behavior "excessive".
Old 03-26-2021, 10:14 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 638 Posts

The Model 3P’s ride/handling balance is really very good overall. It may be missing that last 10% of polish provided by the best Euro competitors but for 90% of drivers most of the it’s more than good enough.

Anyone complaining about its ride must not have driven a recent competitive BMW M-Car or AMG, because they ride worse.
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Oh, the cult of Elon is strong.

My issue with the Taycan is while I can afford it, I really don't want to think about putting 25k to 30k miles a year on it and thinking what that will look like for warranty or depreciation. I'm not quite baller enough to afford that, lol. Now, if nice pre-owned one suffering a ton of depreciation comes up with some good warranty left....well then things might change.
agree with you both to a degree. Of course The M3P does not handle as well as a Porsche and it is somewhat inferior to a recent BMW/Mercedes, though that later handling difference is no longer large.
Both BMW and MB have been making crap cars for the past decade which has made it even easier for Tesla to steal away many of their customers the past few years, which is one reason they are both finally accepting the need to produce BEVs.

I find my M3P to be a great and fun daily driver. (And I still say that while my other car for weekend fun/long trips/track is a 991.2 GT3!)
The M3P suspension is fairly decent, but the things that really make the car shine are the power to weight ratio, (compared not only to ICE cars, but also to other BEVs), 500 HP and 500 torque in a car with a small footprint, short wheelbase, 3.1 sec 0-60 time, while weighing 1100 lbs less than a Taycan, and this all makes for a fun DD.

Also agree the new Taycan is overpriced and the value will plummet in 2-3 years, plus the charging network isn’t currently ready for prime time. But a used Taycan in 2-3 years at a great deal, could be very tempting, as both things could be quite different in 3 years.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-03-2021 at 10:04 PM.
HooosierDaddy (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 12:09 AM
CarmineGT3
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
agree with you both to a degree. Of course The M3P does not handle as well as a Porsche and it is somewhat inferior to a recent BMW/Mercedes, though that later handling difference is no longer large.
Both BMW and MB have been making crap cars for the past decade which has made it even easier for Tesla to steal away many of their customers the past few years, which is one reason they are both finally accepting The need to produce BEVs.

I find my M3P to be a great and fun daily driver. (And I still say that while my other car for weekend fun/long trips/track is a 991.2 GT3!)
The M3P suspension is fairly decent, but the things that really make the car shine are the power to weight ratio, (compared not only to ICE cars, but also to other BEVs), 500 HP and 500 torque in a car with a small footprint, short wheelbase, 3.1 sec 0-60 time, while weighing 1100 lbs less than a Taycan, and this all makes for a fun DD.

Also agree the new Taycan is overpriced and the value will plummet in 2-3 years, plus the charging network isn’t currently ready for prime time. But a used Taycan in 2-3 years at a great deal, could be very tempting, as both things could be quite different in 3 years.
Wow, I have a 991.2 6MT GT3 for the weekend/track and a 2021 Model 3P with mountain pass coilovers and couldn't agree more! Love this combo and passed on the Taycan due to current pricing and upcoming depreciation
The following 2 users liked this post by CarmineGT3:
daveo4porsche (03-27-2021), Drifting (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 09:05 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Another opinion, no more or less valid than anyone else's.

Nice strawman argument, though.
strawman? there was an old saying in advertising, ask the man who owns one.
my views are based on hands on assessments. you disagree, leave it there without your animosities.
gstahl (03-27-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 09:07 AM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
My video shows a clear behavior of repeated vertical oscillation of a vehicle while driving. That's a data point. It is a fact, which does not care about your opinion.

In all my years of driving, I've never experienced this much of this phenomenon, this regularly, in any car. That's a subjective evaluation. Finally, what makes it an opinion is that I find this behavior "excessive".
I see the bounce your talking about... But I also see the car/cars in front of you doing the same bounce. A sh!tty road is a sh!tty road for all!
kort677 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:57 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarmineGT3
Wow, I have a 991.2 6MT GT3 for the weekend/track and a 2021 Model 3P with mountain pass coilovers and couldn't agree more! Love this combo and passed on the Taycan due to current pricing and upcoming depreciation

They are the perfect combo! Both enjoyable in completely different ways.

A daily driver (even a fun one) is still a tool to get from A to B, compared to a weekend fun car.

I can’t spend all that money on a Taycan Turbo, particularly when I put 20,000 miles a year on my daily driver due to travel with my job. The depreciation would be murder!

However I may have to consider adding coil overs to my M3P!
CarmineGT3 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 10:08 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
I see the bounce your talking about... But I also see the car/cars in front of you doing the same bounce. A sh!tty road is a sh!tty road for all!
I can (and have) drive the same road in my 997 and not have the same behavior.

It's not the road.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:34 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by diver110
I test drove a 3 a while back and found the seats too uncomfortable. Even my 5'2" girlfriend did not like the seats.
100% agree. We drove the Model Y and Model 3 and while we liked the cars, we could not get over how bad the seats were. I feel like they'd sell a ton more car folks if they'd just improve the seats.

The suspension wasn't bad...but it wasn't good either.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:51 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
100% agree. We drove the Model Y and Model 3 and while we liked the cars, we could not get over how bad the seats were. I feel like they'd sell a ton more car folks if they'd just improve the seats
I agree. My weekend fun car is a 991.2 GT3. I prefer those seats to the point that I dropped an extra set in my M3P. The color of the GT3 seats matched well enough that most people think the seats are OEM.
(apologies for the dirt obscuring the photo)

Last edited by Drifting; 04-03-2021 at 08:52 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Drifting:
CarmineGT3 (04-03-2021), daveo4porsche (04-03-2021), whiz944 (04-03-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:05 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Delicately wading into this argument. Living in New York as I do, the roads are utterly awful and immediately exacerbate and highlight the weaknesses of a cars suspension and handling.

My 2 cents coming from a 911 and a MB e450 wagon (eats up bumps with aplomb except for bumpstops that restrict travel and about an inch more length):

Drove the Teslas during my evaluation of getting an EV to partake in this glorious revolution. The power is intense, the software is sleek, and the quality does seem to be improving. However, they are still cheap compared to German luxury cars and, getting in topic, just have mediocre handling abilities. No direct steering or feel of the road. Sloppy, plain and simple. It actually creates an environment where the crazy power feels dangerous rather than exhilarating. Interesting, I rented a Camry recently and the Tesla and Camry have that same driving characteristic. Sloppy but fine. Sure, for the money, perhaps the M3 is a good car (er EV) but frankly, I'd rather drive just about any other midsize German luxury sedan.

The Taycan, on the other hand, was transformative. I literally couldn't believe it's ability to linearly attack the road AND soak up crappy roads and highways (I95 in particular). Yes, the car is expensive but it is not meant to be an eco-box. Like all Porsches, it is simply better and thus costs more. As Ferris Bueller once said, "if you have the means, I highly recommend it."

Been in ICE Porsches for decades and this Taycan (Turbo S and 4S both) were just a great sign of the direction that EVs are going. Very cool to have another great option out there...at a price.

So, the summary, the Tesla M3 and MS are fine. They are trailblazers and for most commuting they offer a superb alternative. However, they are just outclassed by the Taycan when it comes to handling and driving. Now, is it worth the extra money? That's in you. For my part, I put in my order a couple days ago...for the Taycan.
The following 3 users liked this post by nycebo:
AlexCeres (04-18-2021), daveo4porsche (04-04-2021), Der-Schwabe (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 10:28 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
I agree. My weekend fun car is a 991.2 GT3. I prefer those seats to the point that I dropped an extra set in my M3P. The color of the GT3 seats matched well enough that most people think the seats are OEM.
(apologies for the dirt obscuring the photo)

Did you ever eliminate the error that kills the active cruise? That’s a deal breaker for me.

Quick Reply: Versus Tesla 3 and Plaid