Sponsored by:

panoramic roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 04:06 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default panoramic roof

Considering the option of the panoramic roof. Any experience with it and whether or not it allows too much heat in the car in direct sunlight in warm climates?
Old 03-04-2021, 07:33 PM
smyers528
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

It looks like it may come standard on the Cross Turismo and be the only option in the US...odd
The following users liked this post:
Hmet (03-05-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 10:06 PM
Nelson Paiva
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That is a great option and it gives you a sense of taller space. The reflective film is perfect and had not issues during my first month of ownership in late Summer last year. I asked about adding more reflective tint but the company that did the whole car stated it was a waste of money given it already had sufficient.
Now if the car came with the option of a carbon fiber roof, I would go for that...
Hmet (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 08:46 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

I hate sun roofs or glass tops....I wanted to order with out it but was a required option. Now i have to say I love it....i really don't notice it other than it makes the cabin feel more spacious then it is. Its also very dark so i don't think sun loading is an issue though i live in the NW and not texas.
Hmet (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 02:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

We have a large panoramic style double sunroof in our Audi e-Tron, though it's not as big as the the one on the Taycan. The amount of heat loading is fairly minimal but there are times on a hot day when just having the sun shining through constantly is an annoyance. At least in the Audi there is a shade that can be pulled closed so one has the option for sun or no sun. The Taycan has no shade.

I really like the look of the double hump standard aluminum roof and my understanding is that it saves some 27kg over the glass roof. As far as making the interior appear brighter, it's a matter of personal preference but I've never felt that any of the 911's I've owned (or any other vehicle for that matter) was too dark or claustrophobic without a pano roof. Anyway, I passed and spent my money on other options. TEHO.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-05-2021 at 03:34 PM.
markenki (04-02-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 01:18 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
We have a large panoramic style double sunroof in our Audi e-Tron, though it's not as big as the the one on the Taycan. The amount of heat loading is fairly minimal but there are times on a hot day when just having the sun shining through constantly is an annoyance. At least in the Audi there is a shade that can be pulled closed so one has the option for sun or no sun. The Taycan has no shade.

I really like the look of the double hump standard aluminum roof and my understanding is that it saves some 27kg over the glass roof. As far as making the interior appear brighter, it's a matter of personal preference but I've never felt that any of the 911's I've owned (or any other vehicle for that matter) was too dark or claustrophobic without a pano roof. Anyway, I passed and spent my money on other options. TEHO.
Have you considered additional tinting as a way to cut down on the added photon load?
Old 03-08-2021, 02:10 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Have you considered additional tinting as a way to cut down on the added photon load?
In the Audi it's not really an issue because the roof has a shade so I don't feel there's a need to go the extra step of tinting. I honestly don't miss having the roof open anyway. If the glass double sunroof hadn't been standard with the e-Tron Prestige package I would probably have opted not to get it.

On the Taycan I ordered the aluminum roof because, in addition to the sunlight issue and the fact that it's lighter, I prefer the way the car looks with it. I'm guess I'm just not that big a fan of glass roofs.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-08-2021 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:15 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 156 Posts

having only owned the car for a couple of weeks all I can do is fall back to my experience with my teslas with the pano roofs.
I live in Florida and never had issues with excessive heat transmission via the pano roof. in the taycan the pano roof allows for a bit more headroom and allow for using things like a roof rack.
XLR82XS (03-31-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 04:29 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

The panoramic roof is the only way to use a roof rack/carriers on Taycan if that is important to you. It was a mandatory option when I bought my car.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:40 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

I have had a panoramic roof on my last 5 Porsches and ordered one on my Taycan too. It gives a sense of more headroom. I live in a are where there is quite a bit of heat/sunlight, so I always add a layer of 3M crystalline to all of my windows to help reject the heat/UV.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:29 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

Ordering a car soon and opting for pano roof. I agree with the comments of making the interior feel larger. As with all my vehicles, all windows will be tinted with ceramic film. It's a must have in sunny/warm climates. (S. FL)
Old 03-31-2021, 10:48 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Ordering a car soon and opting for pano roof. I agree with the comments of making the interior feel larger. As with all my vehicles, all windows will be tinted with ceramic film. It's a must have in sunny/warm climates. (S. FL)
as per my experience with my teslas extra tinting of the pano roof is redundant. I have never had the need to add more, I am in FLA as well
while I haven't gone through a summer yet I am betting the the tinting on pano roof in the taycan is going to be just fine

Last edited by kort677; 03-31-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:59 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I guess I should have clarified: all windows tinted EXCEPT the roof.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:18 AM
pnutgt3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why couldn't they just add a roller shade like my mb gle...I guess they just missed the memo on that one? Not really a fan of pano roofs to begin with but I like the contrast against lighter paint schemes. At the very least they could've kept it a stand alone option instead of cramming it into the prem pkg. Now I have to check off virtually every other option a la carte, AND pay like 2 grand over for it. Ahhh..you gotta love the nuances of ordering a new porsche...
Old 04-01-2021, 09:16 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pnutgt3
At the very least they could've kept it a stand alone option instead of cramming it into the prem pkg. Now I have to check off virtually every other option a la carte, AND pay like 2 grand over for it. Ahhh..you gotta love the nuances of ordering a new porsche...
It is available individually and I am ordering mine that way. There are options in the premium package I'm not adding.

Quick Reply: panoramic roof