Sponsored by:

Seats Comfort 14 way vs sport 18 way - Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 08:15 PM
luigif1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats Comfort 14 way vs sport 18 way - Pros/Cons

I have till Tuesday to lock RWD with these options. In hearing the feedback here I added the massage ventilation with either 14 or 18 way. I coming from Cayman that had sport seats, but like it cushy too. Is there a big difference in firmness?

Are there pros/cons with 14 way comfort vs 18 way sport + other functionality?

Thank You

Any other adds/drops recommended?

Carrera White
21 Mission E
Wheels painted in exterior color
All Season 21
Black Interior standard
Power Seats 14 or 18 way????
Massage with Ventilation?
Power Folding exterior Mirrors
Window trim in high gloss black
Rear logo in high gloss black
Electronic sport sound
Performance Battery + 94kw
PASM
Sport Chrono
PSCB
Rear Axle
PTV+
Glacier Blue Rear
Panorama Roof
Ambient Lighting
heated steering wheel GT
Smoking package
BoseElectronic Charge port open
Old 03-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Buddyc
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't speak to whether there is a comfort difference in the 18 way seats. However, I have the 14 way seats and find them a bit too firm for my liking. You may want to try finding the 18 way at a local dealership to try.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:35 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I believe that the 18-way seats can be set rather higher than the 14-way seats, which can give a better view of the road, especially for shorter people (like my wife)...
Old 03-08-2021, 04:53 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 193 Posts

You're going to get a million different opinions, thus making this discussion useless to you. The best thing to do is go to a dealer and sit in them yourself. I prefer 14 ways to 18 ways, personally.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (03-30-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 06:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I believe that the 18-way seats can be set rather higher than the 14-way seats, which can give a better view of the road, especially for shorter people (like my wife)...
I honestly doubt that this is the case. I've not sat in Taycan 18 ways, just 14, but in every other Porsche, the other "4 ways" are the thigh and torso bolsters, in and out. Generally height adjustment is unchanged. If this really is the case in the Taycan, it's a first.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:55 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

The only advantage a 14 way has over the 18 is that you can add massage function to the 14 way.

So the choice is whether to have massage function or have adjustments to the thigh and waist bolsters.

Personally, I think the 14 way without the bolsters is way too roomy and I am getting slouch around in my seat. I am ordering 18 way for my next Taycan.
gstahl (03-11-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:57 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
…for my next Taycan.
your next Taycan?
Old 03-10-2021, 12:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

The only advantage a 14 way has over the 18 is that you can add massage function to the 14 way.

So the choice is whether to have massage function or have adjustments to the thigh and waist bolsters.

Personally, I think the 14 way without the bolsters is way too roomy and I am getting slouch around in my seat. I am ordering 18 way for my next Taycan.
Seats are pretty personal. I'm 6'2", 260 and athletically built. I would never in a million years say the 14 ways are "roomy". They don't have as much bolstering as I'd like for cornering, for sure, but just sitting in them driving straight ahead, I'm not swimming between the bolsters. In particular the 18 ways are nice for me because being tall and having wide shoulders, the extra width of the shoulder support is really nice. 14 way porsche seats in the sports cars tend to pinch me between the shoulder blades. I have smaller friends who hate the extra shoulder bolsters. They're narrow, and the extra bolsters tend to get in the way of their arm movements a bit.

But in our Cayenne, I tested the 14 way and 18 way and went with the 14 because there isn't any real additional shoulder support but the seat bolsters were a little tight for me.So YMMV.

But height, as the OP was asking, really shouldn't be any difference.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:36 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

I've had both. 18-way for me no question.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:50 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Seats are pretty personal. I'm 6'2", 260 and athletically built. I would never in a million years say the 14 ways are "roomy". They don't have as much bolstering as I'd like for cornering, for sure, but just sitting in them driving straight ahead, I'm not swimming between the bolsters. In particular the 18 ways are nice for me because being tall and having wide shoulders, the extra width of the shoulder support is really nice. 14 way porsche seats in the sports cars tend to pinch me between the shoulder blades. I have smaller friends who hate the extra shoulder bolsters. They're narrow, and the extra bolsters tend to get in the way of their arm movements a bit.

But in our Cayenne, I tested the 14 way and 18 way and went with the 14 because there isn't any real additional shoulder support but the seat bolsters were a little tight for me.So YMMV.

But height, as the OP was asking, really shouldn't be any difference.
That is pretty true on the personal part.

I am quite a bit smaller than you, 5'10" 170lb. On 18 ways in my Cayenne, Panamera, 911s, I always have the side bolsters and legs bolsters all the way in for me to not 'move' around.

But on the 'old' Porsche seats, I much prefer the normal ones over the sport seats, shoulder piece on those chairs do really get in the way.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:58 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
your next Taycan?
Yeah. My current Taycan 4S was always something that's 'just for kicks'. Heck I didn't spec the car at all, I just walked into the dealership and grab one and go.

I already have a Panamera turbo S, and the Taycan is inferior to it in every possible way as a sedan, I don't need 2 sedans especially if one is already clearly superior.

I bought the 4S as a 'trialware' so to speak. After spending about 9 months with it, I am quite liking it, there isn't a superior EV on the market right now. But the argument that I don't need 2 sedans is still valid and with the Cross Turismo coming, that solved my problem. Never had a wagon, and I can still have a Taycan. But this time I am going up to turbo trim, just a better deal with the options I wanted to check.
TC Cruising (08-24-2023)
Old 03-11-2021, 03:11 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

I bought the 4S as a 'trialware' so to speak. After spending about 9 months with it, I am quite liking it, there isn't a superior EV on the market right now.
While maybe not superior in some eyes, the Model S long-range is pretty damn close. 400 mile range and vast charging network.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
While maybe not superior in some eyes, the Model S long-range is pretty damn close. 400 mile range and vast charging network.
The charging network is potentially a plus but I've yet to see an independent test where the Model S actually achieves 400 miles of range. Maybe I've missed it.

The biggest thing for me, besides the Taycan's superior build quality is the way it drives and handles. Also, while I know some folks really like it, the Tesla interior with the giant center screen is a real turn off for me and the Taycan exterior styling is more attractive.

You have to give Tesla props for stimulating the EV market but IMHO the Taycan is a much more desirable vehicle.
Der-Schwabe (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 08:29 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
The charging network on paper is pretty sexy to a lot of people, especially to those that can't charge at home, so going to a supercharger is like going to a gas station, just takes a bit long to go from empty to full that's all.

So Tesla has a superior charging network, not a superior car.

About that 400 mile range. Has anyone ever actually got close to or exceed the range a Tesla is rated for?

I routinely exceed the rating on my e-Tron for range, I normally charge my EVs when they are at 15% or so and I get ~360km a 'tank for the e-Tron, that's about 10% more than it's rated. And I don't even drive in range more or eco mode or whatever. Any e-Tron owner can tell you they routinely exceed the rated range.

As for my Taycan 4S, by 15% of each 'tank', 400km-420km would have elapsed, that's 250-260 miles, EASILY exceed whatever it is rated for. That's called superior. Heck all the Taycan owners here probably can tell you the same thing, their Taycan goes farther than what is rated.
Der-Schwabe (03-12-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 02:06 AM
Ruwen Hess
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>> Has anyone ever actually got close to or exceed the range a Tesla is rated for?

I routinely exceed the range on our Model 3. In fact, over 18K miles, the average energy consumption is equivalent to a range just shy of the 310 miles my particular model was rated at (297 miles). This includes lots of winter driving in the PNW, often with 4 people in the car. This is an older Model 3 without heat pump, without the newer battery. I've done long road trips with it, hours on end at 65-75 mph. You can quite easily get the rated range, and easily exceed it too.

Our Model X (~14k miles, rated at 325 miles range IIRC) is a different story. Much more sensitive to speed and heating usage. Driving to the ski slopes (loaded, winter tires and freezing temps, racing to get there before the parking lots fill I've seen consumption average to a ~250 mile range. On the other hand, I've driven that car all the way to Yellowstone and back and averaged just above 300. I typically don't adjust speed to gain range, unless the computer tells me to (that's happened twice in 3 years, both times I'd skipped a charging stop).

I'm not sure why the media is on a "Teslas don't get the range" trip. As far as I can tell, most EVs can be driven to exceed range, and also driven such that they can only get 70-80% of range - particularly in the winter. For a driver, what's more important than the "percentage of range achieved" is the "actual range achieved".

I'd be willing to gamble that all of the '21 long range Tesla models exceed Etron and Taycan ranges considerably in real world drive from A to B scenarios in the US. The same goes for the charging speed, if measured as "miles of range gained per minute of charging", and used the way most would when driving an EV on a road trip: start at ~10% and charge to at most 80%. That doesn't even take into account that betting on having working 350kw chargers available on EA is a bit of lottery (or that the charging locations tend to be big box retail hell).

I write all this to (a) answer the question and (b) voice my frustration. So apologies if this comes across to aggressively - not meant that way. I do want to provide information for folks who are considering different options. I was hoping for more from Porsche. I was/am on the waitlist for a Taycan. I really really wanted to love that car. The plan was to sell/trade-in the 911. And maybe I'll still do it. But the range and charging are definitely strong downsides.

whiz944 (03-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Seats Comfort 14 way vs sport 18 way - Pros/Cons