Sponsored by:

Are the Taycan Selling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 06:06 AM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Are the Taycan Selling?

I currently drive a 997.2, a 958 turbo and a Model Y. Thinking about trading in the 958 and the 997.2 for a Taycan or Taycan ST. How are the the Taycan selling? After reading multiple threads, there don't seem to be any agreement. Either its they're growing roots at the dealer, or they're selling like hotcakes. Trying to get a gauge on how much of a discount can I expect to get off MSRP. Is 5% the starting point? Would 10% off be reasonable?

Thanks.

Popular Reply

03-15-2021, 03:29 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Generally speaking, demand has been lighter than Porsche expected - especially in certain GEO's of the US. You can see just by the amount of 2020's some dealerships are holding. GEO's with poor charger networks are doing worse (vs CA for example, where people are already very used to EV's and there is a strong charging network).

Deal-wise on a new build, you can probably swing 6-6.5% currently at the right dealership (might have to get it shipped out of state). With federal credits ($7,500 car, $1,000 EV-charger), state credits (NJ = no sales tax for example), it can add up to even more in savings. Demand is starting to pick up though (last few months were stronger then Oct/Nov for example), and I expect it to pick up further once the auto industry bounces back with more re-openings happening in spring/summer time (which is already seasonally strong in the auto space). Cars-on-the-lot, for 2020's specifically, you can probably get 10-11% off. But I would suggest going for a custom build at that point (since the delta is only 4%). 2021's will technically have 1 year less of depreciation built in and there have been some MY21 updates.

Porsche is investing TONS into marketing the Taycan for 2021, so I personally do think demand will pick up and deals will become harder to find. Just look at the 992 911 right now - we're not even talking about getting discounts, most people can't get an allocation and are trying to reserve 2022's. While I don't think that will happen with the Taycan in the near-term, I'm fairly confident that demand will catch up (even with the potential Audi GT cannibalization).

Disclaimer: I work in the automotive marketing side with every single car manufacturer and 100s of dealerships. I do a lot specifically on the Porsche side and interact with a bunch of dealerships - if anyone is looking specifically for a good deal, PM me and I can connect you with the GM that's doing the best deals at that given moment. I make no money from this, just helping Rennlisters.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:33 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I ordered a base with 28k in options and landed at 6.7%. The federal and state tax credits were an additional 14%.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:00 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 389 Posts

Well they started with ADMS's and now folks are getting 6% off so I would say they are not doing well.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:08 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 1,777 Posts

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...sales-figures/

Macan, Cayenne, Taycan top 3 vehicles by volume for Porsche - seems to be doing ok - sold more than the Panemera…718 and 911

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 03-15-2021 at 11:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (03-17-2021), Der-Schwabe (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 03:29 PM
amelen
Pro

Generally speaking, demand has been lighter than Porsche expected - especially in certain GEO's of the US. You can see just by the amount of 2020's some dealerships are holding. GEO's with poor charger networks are doing worse (vs CA for example, where people are already very used to EV's and there is a strong charging network).

Deal-wise on a new build, you can probably swing 6-6.5% currently at the right dealership (might have to get it shipped out of state). With federal credits ($7,500 car, $1,000 EV-charger), state credits (NJ = no sales tax for example), it can add up to even more in savings. Demand is starting to pick up though (last few months were stronger then Oct/Nov for example), and I expect it to pick up further once the auto industry bounces back with more re-openings happening in spring/summer time (which is already seasonally strong in the auto space). Cars-on-the-lot, for 2020's specifically, you can probably get 10-11% off. But I would suggest going for a custom build at that point (since the delta is only 4%). 2021's will technically have 1 year less of depreciation built in and there have been some MY21 updates.

Porsche is investing TONS into marketing the Taycan for 2021, so I personally do think demand will pick up and deals will become harder to find. Just look at the 992 911 right now - we're not even talking about getting discounts, most people can't get an allocation and are trying to reserve 2022's. While I don't think that will happen with the Taycan in the near-term, I'm fairly confident that demand will catch up (even with the potential Audi GT cannibalization).

Disclaimer: I work in the automotive marketing side with every single car manufacturer and 100s of dealerships. I do a lot specifically on the Porsche side and interact with a bunch of dealerships - if anyone is looking specifically for a good deal, PM me and I can connect you with the GM that's doing the best deals at that given moment. I make no money from this, just helping Rennlisters.
The following 11 users liked this post by amelen:
atc5 (03-28-2021), daveo4porsche (03-15-2021), flygdchman (03-17-2021), goin2drt (03-15-2021), huntflyer (04-06-2021), md4dna (03-17-2021), Needsdecaf (03-17-2021), neoprufrok (03-19-2021), passat774 (03-19-2021), smilin (03-15-2021), Watch911Range (03-29-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-15-2021, 05:51 PM
hitmonlee
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I ordered a base with 28k in options and landed at 6.7%. The federal and state tax credits were an additional 14%.
Do you mind elaborating on the math? Maybe I'm missing something obvious but how could federal and state tax credits be worth 14%? Is your state tax credit super good?
Old 03-15-2021, 05:57 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by hitmonlee
Do you mind elaborating on the math? Maybe I'm missing something obvious but how could federal and state tax credits be worth 14%? Is your state tax credit super good?
I can't speak for him, but many states have very high EV incentives, while others have none. I'm in NJ where we don't pay sales tax on EV's, so pretty much a 7% savings (over non-EV's).

Also, separately, the EV-charger install credit is at the federal level and would apply to all.
The following users liked this post:
hitmonlee (03-17-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:40 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...sales-figures/

Macan, Cayenne, Taycan top 3 vehicles by volume for Porsche - seems to be doing ok - sold more than the Panemera…718 and 911

This may be caused in part that there is a 4-5 month delay in ordering and taking a delivery of any sports car made by Porsche. They may be allocating chips to the new models to solidify their position of a new EV models.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:53 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

1) Federal Tax Credit = $7,500
2) Zero NJ Sales Tax on my final price = $6,690
Sum of the above = $14,190 (1+2)
Price of Car = $101,913
% Incentive = 13.92%

Did not factor in 3 year EA charging, free Porsche charger, or state credits for charging station install in the house. The charging station and install will result in a refund over cost of $300 in NY, where the charger will be installed. This will be federal and utility provider credits totaling $1,000. Probably breakeven after the electrician gets done hammering me. I was quoted $350 -$550 to install the the NEMA 14-50 connection to the garage. I probably should subtract from my saving the $279 I spent for the Tesla Tap Mini, which will open up all the Tesla charging stations to me, except Super Chargers.

Last edited by 991carreradriver; 03-15-2021 at 08:04 PM.
hitmonlee (03-17-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:57 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amelen
I can't speak for him, but many states have very high EV incentives, while others have none. I'm in NJ where we don't pay sales tax on EV's, so pretty much a 7% savings (over non-EV's).

Also, separately, the EV-charger install credit is at the federal level and would apply to all.
NJ is the state I am titling in. Only thing the state has ever done for me, all they do is fleece me.
feh (03-22-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:22 PM
hitmonlee
Instructor

1) Federal Tax Credit = $7,500
2) Zero NJ Sales Tax on my final price = $6,690
Sum of the above = $14,190 (1+2)
Price of Car = $101,913
% Incentive = 13.92%

Did not factor in 3 year EA charging, free Porsche charger, or state credits for charging station install in the house. The charging station and install will result in a refund over cost of $300 in NY, where the charger will be installed. This will be federal and utility provider credits totaling $1,000. Probably breakeven after the electrician gets done hammering me. I was quoted $350 -$550 to install the the NEMA 14-50 connection to the garage. I probably should subtract from my saving the $279 I spent for the Tesla Tap Mini, which will open up all the Tesla charging stations to me, except Super Chargers.
That's really good! Now this might be a little unethical, but is it feasible/breaking any rules by buying and registering a Taycan in NJ, and then driving/shipping it to another state, and (re-)registering in the new state? This way one can still save (sales tax - shipping - NJ registration - new state incentive), which can still be a considerable amount?
Old 03-15-2021, 08:33 PM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

That's really good! Now this might be a little unethical, but is it feasible/breaking any rules by buying and registering a Taycan in NJ, and then driving/shipping it to another state, and (re-)registering in the new state? This way one can still save (sales tax - shipping - NJ registration - new state incentive), which can still be a considerable amount?
I know in california, They will tax you on the car purchase when you try to register it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ghost Ryder:
AlexCeres (03-17-2021), hitmonlee (03-17-2021), Needsdecaf (03-17-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:35 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

First, do not construe this as an opinion or tax advice, I am a CPA and have to be careful about rendering advice. Now that we are past this -- Assuming you could register the car in NJ, that would be not be an issue, The issue is when you register it in your home state, they undoubtedly will impose sales tax on the fair market value. Some states have less than arms length exclusions, best to check with you own CPA, reflecting your state of residency. My state of residency, unfortunately is NJ, so I don't have any sales tax issues ( I have plenty of other issues).
Needsdecaf (03-17-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:36 PM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

Originally Posted by amelen

Thanks for the breakdown, makes perfect sense. There's a 2021 4s for 122k at my dealership, but I'm in CA, so I'm not sure how much they will discount. I was hoping to get the new Sport turismo when it comes out though since we are replacing the Cayenne.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:43 PM
hitmonlee
Instructor

First, do not construe this as an opinion or tax advice, I am a CPA and have to be careful about rendering advice. Now that we are past this -- Assuming you could register the car in NJ, that would be not be an issue, The issue is when you register it in your home state, they undoubtedly will impose sales tax on the fair market value. Some states have less than arms length exclusions, best to check with you own CPA, reflecting your state of residency. My state of residency, unfortunately is NJ, so I don't have any sales tax issues ( I have plenty of other issues).
Thanks! I'm a little confused though. When you say my home state will impose sales tax, is it only because the car was purchased in NJ and no sales tax was ever paid, or is it a general thing? Because if it's the latter, how is this different from say someone legitimately relocating to a different state with their car? They don't double pay the sales tax, do they?

Quick Reply: Are the Taycan Selling?