Sponsored by:

Taycan Roof Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 08:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts
Default Taycan Roof Question

I'm looking at a RWD Taycan that has the panoramic roof and I'm really concerned that the car's gonna get really hot inside without the ability to close some type of shade. Is this an issue or is the tinting strong enough? Had a roof like that on my wife's Q7 and the car just baked in the sun.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:41 PM
AlexOz
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 63 Posts

I have that roof and have owned my Taycan Turbo for over a year now, including during a baking hot North Carolina summer. No issues with the roof: it's deeply tinted. When you look at the roof in certain light, you can see some kind of reflective effect, suggesting that it has a coating which may lower heat transfer. However, my car has the Premium Package, which, among other goodies, includes the panoramic roof and "thermally and noise insulated glass". The RWD has that as a standalone option. It may be that you'll need this thermal/acoustic glass option in your car to get the same results that I have.

If you intend to put any tint film on the roof, I'd suggest checking with Porsche, as it may have undesirable effects, including cracking from heat buildup. I don't see a way to install a shade on the roof.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:50 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Pano roof definitely gets interior hotter in summer sun, but the increased headroom and roomier feeling inside make the roof worth ordering. If the heat becomes an issue for you, additional tint can be applied for roughly $200-$300.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 03:21 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Personally, I prefer the look of the car better without the glass roof. The aluminum roof weighs less and is no cost. Headroom is not an issue for front seat passengers and I've never felt confined in a 911 without a panoramic roof so the Taycan is no different. As for the heat issue, even if there were no difference in actual radiation, just the constant presence of the sun is annoying to me. My $.02, YMMV.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-27-2021 at 03:22 AM.
RONGLOS (06-09-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 10:33 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the panoramic roof in Florida. There aren't any issues with heat infiltration due to the coatings applied. I object to the bright sunlight at certain times of the day so I use a sun shield. Also if you ever want to use the Porsche roof rack you can only do it with the panoramic roof.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:43 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexOz
I have that roof and have owned my Taycan Turbo for over a year now, including during a baking hot North Carolina summer. No issues with the roof: it's deeply tinted. When you look at the roof in certain light, you can see some kind of reflective effect, suggesting that it has a coating which may lower heat transfer. However, my car has the Premium Package, which, among other goodies, includes the panoramic roof and "thermally and noise insulated glass". The RWD has that as a standalone option. It may be that you'll need this thermal/acoustic glass option in your car to get the same results that I have.
RWD "base" includes 'thermally insulated glass all-around' as standard according to the Porsche US website.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:04 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Pano roof definitely gets interior hotter in summer sun, but the increased headroom and roomier feeling inside make the roof worth ordering. If the heat becomes an issue for you, additional tint can be applied for roughly $200-$300.
I wish that there was a dislike button because your assertion is not borne out by reality.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:00 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Personally, I prefer the look of the car better without the glass roof. The aluminum roof weighs less and is no cost. Headroom is not an issue for front seat passengers and I've never felt confined in a 911 without a panoramic roof so the Taycan is no different. As for the heat issue, even if there were no difference in actual radiation, just the constant presence of the sun is annoying to me. My $.02, YMMV.
Whats a shame is the Cross Turismo will only come in the US equipped with the pano glass roof, unlike cars in Europe, if I had the choice I would have definitely ordered the solid metal roof

I also dislike the idea of the sun constantly on my head (live in Southern California)
Old 05-29-2021, 09:46 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm looking at a RWD Taycan that has the panoramic roof and I'm really concerned that the car's gonna get really hot inside without the ability to close some type of shade. Is this an issue or is the tinting strong enough? Had a roof like that on my wife's Q7 and the car just baked in the sun.
it is a non issue, the coating work very well at blocking the UV rays, I am in Florida and the interior is no hotter than a car with a "regular" roof when sitting in the sun.
some people will add extra tinting but it really isn't necessary.
The following 2 users liked this post by kort677:
AKB991 (12-22-2023), Mac M (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:41 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by kort677
I wish that there was a dislike button because your assertion is not borne out by reality.
I guess you're right. The sensation I get on my hairless dome of heat from the South Florida sun must be a sensory hallucination. It is not severe or I would have had the same Spectra PhotoSync IRD tint placed on it that is on my windows. And I was quoted an additional $250 for the roof tint.

As a relative newbie and non member here, I suggest you tone it down.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 06-03-2021 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:26 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I guess you're right. The sensation I get on my hairless dome of heat from the South Florida sun must be a sensory hallucination. It is not severe or I would have had the same Spectra PhotoSync IRD tint placed on it that is on my windows. And I was quoted an additional $250 for the roof tint.

As a relative newbie and non member here, I suggest you tone it down.
may I suggest that you are an outlier because there are literally hundreds of thousands of cars on the roads with these panoramic roofs, tesla and porsche tinting for these roofs are very similar if not exact and few people seem to share your experience. the glass is heavily tinted and shield the occupants from the various uva/uvb and protect from visible light. in addition the driver's seat position is forward of the roof glass, the sun's angle would have to be quite severe to have the impacts that you are claiming.
if you want to apply films that are redundant, go ahead, it's your option.
the fact that I do not share your opinion and the fact that you think that I am some sort of second class participant does not constitute rudeness or limit the value of my comment.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/tes...-cool-science/
https://www.thatteslachannel.com/a-g...uv-protection/

Last edited by kort677; 06-04-2021 at 07:29 AM.
AKB991 (12-22-2023)
Old 06-04-2021, 05:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by kort677
may I suggest that you are an outlier because there are literally hundreds of thousands of cars on the roads with these panoramic roofs, tesla and porsche tinting for these roofs are very similar if not exact and few people seem to share your experience. the glass is heavily tinted and shield the occupants from the various uva/uvb and protect from visible light. in addition the driver's seat position is forward of the roof glass, the sun's angle would have to be quite severe to have the impacts that you are claiming.
if you want to apply films that are redundant, go ahead, it's your option.
the fact that I do not share your opinion and the fact that you think that I am some sort of second class participant does not constitute rudeness or limit the value of my comment.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/tes...-cool-science/
https://www.thatteslachannel.com/a-g...uv-protection/
In reference to your first sentence, let me offer the following:

My 2018 Model 3 had a special IR reflective coating, the kind that turned colors when wet. It was extremely effective at rejecting heat and in the year and change I owned it, I never felt any issues through the roof.
My 2020 Model 3 no longer has that. In the Summer last year, and this year, the heat is brutal. I can feel it on my head, and the cabin is noticeably warmer. Not only that but I find the glare to be more severe as well. I'm going to have it tinted.

I'm in Houston.

So just because those roofs are out there, doesn't mean they all work at keeping the sun / heat out.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:50 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
In reference to your first sentence, let me offer the following:

My 2018 Model 3 had a special IR reflective coating, the kind that turned colors when wet. It was extremely effective at rejecting heat and in the year and change I owned it, I never felt any issues through the roof.
My 2020 Model 3 no longer has that. In the Summer last year, and this year, the heat is brutal. I can feel it on my head, and the cabin is noticeably warmer. Not only that but I find the glare to be more severe as well. I'm going to have it tinted.

I'm in Houston.

So just because those roofs are out there, doesn't mean they all work at keeping the sun / heat out.
if tesla got away from something that worked that is a shame, I wonder why would they change the roof glass
the roof on the taycan was similar to the roof on my model 3. my earlier model S cars had different glass and tinting but I never had issues like the person here mentioned but I supposed some did because tesla sold screens for those model S roofs
Old 06-05-2021, 04:14 PM
GT Rennsport
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

I live in Hawaii and it's always 80* here. My Taycan with pano glass roof is much cooler than my 992 with glass roof and sunshade closed. IMO it is a great design.
Der-Schwabe (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 05:59 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT Rennsport
I live in Hawaii and it's always 80* here. My Taycan with pano glass roof is much cooler than my 992 with glass roof and sunshade closed. IMO it is a great design.
I concur. I am in Florida and the teslas that I had and the taycan are not any hotter when sitting in the than a car with a full roof and unlike the one poster I have never felt hot or the sun on my head while inside the cabin.
The following 2 users liked this post by kort677:
AKB991 (12-22-2023), Der-Schwabe (06-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Taycan Roof Question