Sponsored by:

Car & Driver comparison test: Taycan 4S vs. Tesla Model S LR plus

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 11:19 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
...but the trims they chose to compare and then the Pros/Cons listed.
The reasons for the specific trims that were compared were explained in the article. Calling it lazy journalism ignores the reality of the availability of the 2 cars given C&D’s frosty relationship with Tesla and Taycan supply.

There was also commentary in the article that changing the Taycan trim/options to more closely match the Model S price wouldn’t have changed the outcome.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:20 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcd1
The reasons for the specific trims that were compared were explained in the article. Calling it lazy journalism ignores the reality of the availability of the 2 cars given C&D’s frosty relationship with Tesla and Taycan supply.

There was also commentary in the article that changing the Taycan trim/options to more closely match the Model S price wouldn’t have changed the outcome.
I understand they attempted to justify it. That doesn't mean it wasn't a pointless comparison. Most importantly, it doesn't mean another person commenting here has bias anymore than you do. And you absolutely have bias.
The following users liked this post:
gstahl (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 02:11 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Originally Posted by iammacey
I understand they attempted to justify it. That doesn't mean it wasn't a pointless comparison. Most importantly, it doesn't mean another person commenting here has bias anymore than you do. And you absolutely have bias.
Attempting to frame the comparison as pointless is also pointless.

There's a small sliver of hard-core buyers who would never consider either brand over the other.

The vast majority of the market however looks at body style (sedan, SUV, sports car, etc.) and price range first and chooses what fits their wants/needs from that subset. That type of thinking appears to have been the genesis of the comparison.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:38 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Your comment reveals more about your personal prejudices than it does about the reality of the situation.
The comment about being pointless is exactly accurate. One of the most pointless reviews I have ever read. They seem to spend more time explaining the differences in the cars and why they do not match versus a solid review. Seems like after writing the first section, they should have simply called off the rest and then got a set of cars that are in the same class.

** I owned a model S P85D for many years and would never buy a Tesla again, many shop trips and wonky uncomfortable interior. Cool tech, really great motors... the rest, meh.

So MY bias is because of Tesla ownership, not because I have some mad fascination with Porsche. There is nothing in the article that tells me that Tesla is anything other than the rattle trap I already owned (so not worth anything) and... Tesla which are not shipping are complete vaporware, as everyone know Elon misses all deadlines (yes, I was one of those who actually considered a deposit on their new roadster like 4 years ago, glad I did not do that!), AND... why would you EVER compare something you cannot even buy, are they covering the used car market?????
The following 3 users liked this post by gstahl:
daveo4porsche (05-21-2021), wizee (05-26-2021), XLR82XS (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 08:17 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Your comment reveals more about your personal prejudices than it does about the reality of the situation.

The cars are almost identical in overall dimensions and their price range starts with the Model S, passes through certain Taycan models, passes through other Model S models and then is capped by the Taycan Turbo S in the stratosphere.

The Model S was clearly Porsche's target, and while the Taycan surpasses the Model S on many fronts, it also falls short of it on other fronts.

But make no mistake - they ARE competitors.
I do have prejudices about cars. That's the reason I'm on a Porsche forum.

Based on the logic in C&D's review, the Corvette would beat any 911, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Mclaren. The Corvette is obviously the more practical purchase, and costs a lot less. Who cares about how the vehicle drives, looks, and feels. Who cares about the seating position in a sports car, the steering, the braking. Apparently all we need is a car with five colors, two choices of wheels, and three interior colors. Why have any options at all? For that matter why even drive at all. Apparently everything will drive itself next month, or maybe in six months, or.......

C&D used to care about these things, but apparently with EVs all we care about is range, number of charging locations, and how big is the touch screen. I hope this isn't the world we are headed for.

Edit:

Some excellent quotes about the winning car:

"Poor fit and finish remain a Tesla trait, "
"our test car's 0.86 g of skidpad grip and 179-foot stop from 70 mph are underwhelming."
"its chassis doesn't feel as rock solid as the Taycan's, its big chunky steering wheel has zero feel around corners, and its wheels seem to bounce across sharp bumps as if they were basketballs. A quick and competent cruiser, this car, but not a very engaging one."

Versus the Taycan:

"it circled the skidpad at 1.03 g and stopped from 70 mph in 147 feet—awesome efforts for anything weighing 5128 pounds."
"Drop into the low-slung driver's seat and the front fenders jut up into view, just above the small and perfectly positioned steering wheel.
"
"Its finely honed, ultra-stable chassis responded to steering inputs with rich, fluid communication that few modern cars can match."
"The Taycan 4S is a viable—and spirted—sports sedan, infused with the refinement, engineering, and connection to the road that we expect from a Porsche.
"

There was no mention that the EPA ratings are BS and both the cars are much closer in range based on many Independent tests. No mention that the Taycan charges significantly faster than the Model S. No mention that the CCS charging network has come close to catching up to the Tesla's network. So, it really came down to price even though they weren't able to test the entry level, more competitively priced Taycan.

Last edited by manitou202; 05-20-2021 at 08:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by manitou202:
Der-Schwabe (05-21-2021), Gus_Smedstad (05-30-2021), XLR82XS (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 01:57 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Originally Posted by manitou202
I do have prejudices about cars. That's the reason I'm on a Porsche forum.

Based on the logic in C&D's review, the Corvette would beat any 911...

There was no mention that the EPA ratings are BS and both the cars are much closer in range based on many Independent tests. No mention that the CCS charging network has come close to catching up to the Tesla's network..
Nothing you wrote supports your statement that the comparison is pointless. You may not agree with their judgements (obviously), but the comparison remains a valid one regardless.

Funny you should mention Corvette/911. That comparison has been done a zillion times by a zillion publications, and the Porsche has been judged to be worth the extra $$$$ almost every time. That's what makes this comparison test's conclusion notable - this time, for C&D, the Porsche's excellence in some areas couldn't outweigh its drawbacks in other areas.

As for range, C&D did their own range test, which shows a near-100 mile advantage for the Tesla, along with 50% (!!!) better efficiency.

"CCS network comes close to Tesla's network" - Ummm, nope, as many posters here and on other Taycan forums have attested to. Once all CCS chargers support "plug and pay," THEN we can discuss parity - in the meantime, in the real world, the Supercharger network is superior.

Please don't get me wrong - I really like the Taycan, and would be happy to own a future iteration of it, or even the current version once I don't need to do long trips in my car on a semi-regular basis. In the meantime, it won't fit my needs, while my Model 3 (or maybe a Model S LR plus once they're available) does.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:25 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

NAs for range, C&D did their own range test, which shows a near-100 mile advantage for the Tesla, along with 50% (!!!) better efficiency.

"CCS network comes close to Tesla's network" - Ummm, nope, as many posters here and on other Taycan forums have attested to. Once all CCS chargers support "plug and pay," THEN we can discuss parity - in the meantime, in the real world, the Supercharger network is superior.
Something isn't right. Taycan is more efficient in the way it uses energy. Just look at the motor design. EA network is plug-n-charge/pay now.

Der-Schwabe (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 06:18 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Something isn't right. Taycan is more efficient in the way it uses energy.
Not according to their test. At 75 mph, the Tesla is 32% more efficient:

Tesla: 102 mpge Taycan: 77 mpge

Around town, the Tesla's regenerative braking makes the difference even bigger.

It's also worth noticing that the Tesla is quicker in normal driving (without launch control) and in passing. Obviously once over about 80 mph the Taycan pulls ahead. In Germany on the autobahn that matters. In the US notsomuch.

Last edited by Zcd1; 05-21-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:13 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Couple of comments.

It's really bad form and understandably annoying to have another brand owner drop into a given brand site a post reviews that in effect say hey look my brand is better than yours. I've seen the same childish stuff on the Mercedes board by an Audi fanboy and I was a long time Audi owner.

My perspective is if you are going come on to a brand site and criticize the brand you should put up (ie spend your money on said brand) or shut up.

My other comment is I'm sure the objections to the review would be non-existent had the review concluded, "We picked the Taycan as number 1 because while it is way more expensive it is worth every penny."

And oh I like driving the Tesla M3, just don't like the low rent dash and ET front end.

Last edited by flygdchman; 05-21-2021 at 10:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by flygdchman:
gstahl (05-23-2021), Gus_Smedstad (05-30-2021), Needsdecaf (05-27-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 10:08 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 156 Posts

Something isn't right. Taycan is more efficient in the way it uses energy. Just look at the motor design. EA network is plug-n-charge/pay now.
plug and charge has not worked for me. I have to use the app and then it is 50/50 if I have to call EA customer service to get the charger to initiate the charge. I am beginning to think that there is a flaw in my car that is not allowing the "conversation" to take place between the car and the charger.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts

. EA network is plug-n-charge/pay now.
this is the funniest thing I’ve read this week - only one charging network is Plug-n-charge with any reliability and it’s not EA…and is done by a car manufacturer

but thanks for the laugh.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:54 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Nothing you wrote supports your statement that the comparison is pointless. You may not agree with their judgements (obviously), but the comparison remains a valid one regardless.

Funny you should mention Corvette/911. That comparison has been done a zillion times by a zillion publications, and the Porsche has been judged to be worth the extra $$$$ almost every time. That's what makes this comparison test's conclusion notable - this time, for C&D, the Porsche's excellence in some areas couldn't outweigh its drawbacks in other areas.

As for range, C&D did their own range test, which shows a near-100 mile advantage for the Tesla, along with 50% (!!!) better efficiency.

Please don't get me wrong - I really like the Taycan, and would be happy to own a future iteration of it, or even the current version once I don't need to do long trips in my car on a semi-regular basis. In the meantime, it won't fit my needs, while my Model 3 (or maybe a Model S LR plus once they're available) does.
Look I get it. Your thing is to go around to a bunch of other car forums and promote and defend Tesla. It takes a 30 second Google search to see you spend a lot of time doing this. So I'll stop engaging. Enjoy your Model 3.
The following 5 users liked this post by manitou202:
Der-Schwabe (05-23-2021), gstahl (05-23-2021), Gus_Smedstad (05-30-2021), Peter F (05-24-2021), wizee (05-26-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 10:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Well let's see. The next time I have to make an emergency stop at freeway speeds in my Taycan 4S and recall that in a Tesla Model S LR Plus it would have required an additional 30 feet and probably wiped out my car and two of the cars ahead of me, I'll feel rather better about my "investment".
Der-Schwabe (05-25-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 09:50 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Look I get it. Your thing is to go around to a bunch of other car forums and promote and defend Tesla....So I'll stop engaging...
So I guess your "thing" is to dismiss any information that doesn't align with your thoughts, rather than engaging in actual discussion? That's cool, I guess.

My "thing" is actually being a car enthusiast and appreciating great/cool cars, regardless of who makes them.

Enjoy your Taycan.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:32 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

This might be one of the most pointless reviews I've ever read. Basically, we couldn't get the latest Tesla Model S because they are delayed six months, and we didn't try real hard to get an entry level Taycan, so we decided to test two vehicles in completely different classes that only share a couple of common traits: 4 wheels, 4 doors, steering wheel, oh and they happen to both be EV's. Why not compare the Taycan to the Model 3 or the Bolt? They are both EV's.

From the article:
Taycan
Highs: Bold styling, sports-car-like handling, beautifully finished, neat EV sounds.
Lows: Porsche pricing, modest range, less accommodating for people and stuff.

Model S

Highs: Big-time range, plenty quick, attractively priced, practical packaging.
Lows: Poor fit and finish, dated interior, bland steering and chassis feel.

So in summary, the Porsche is a Porsche (expensive, beautiful fit and finish, sports-like handling) and the Tesla is an economy car (super bland and boring, but it's cheaper and more practical).
The highs and lows from the Model S could be said for the Model 3, Model Y, Chevy Bolt, VW ID.4, Mustang Mach-E, etc.
Exactly, it's comparing an economy/muscle sedan to a luxury/sports sedan. They could have just as well compared a 911 to a Dodge Challenger. The Challenger is much cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, has more spacious rear seats, more trunk space, and can be comparably fast in a straight line. The Challenger has poor fit and finish, a basic and dated interior, and a crude chassis, but you could forgive all that for a car that's half the price. Therefore a Dodge Challenger is better than a Porsche 911.

Last edited by wizee; 05-26-2021 at 09:34 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by wizee:
AlexCeres (05-31-2021), daveo4porsche (05-26-2021), Der-Schwabe (05-27-2021), gstahl (05-26-2021), Gus_Smedstad (05-30-2021), XLR82XS (05-27-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Car & Driver comparison test: Taycan 4S vs. Tesla Model S LR plus