Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone get a Taycan and regret it? (ICE to EV)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 12:40 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Anyone get a Taycan and regret it? (ICE to EV)

Currently my garage is my beloved 458 Speciale (weekend/fun car) and a base Cayenne (everything else). Plan is to swap the Cayenne for a new Taycan CT4, but I'm still uneasy about the switch to a EV for my only daily/road trip car in LA...

Anyone get a Taycan as their main car/daily, and regret it?

Thinking about:

- Longer wait for refueling (charging vs gas)
- Finding good charging locations, open charging spots, understanding how all the different charging networks/brands/companies "work" to charge the car (socket(s) and adapters, app vs touch screen on charging stand, anything else)
- How useful the Connect app is for charging (Porsche Connect was a POS experience for my '19 Cayenne)
- Taking the car on the occasional road trip

My other option is to lease another new Cayenne and wait 3 more years for better technology, more range, more infrastructure & availability of fast charging... but I'm liking the CT futuristic looks inside and out a lot
Old 06-16-2021, 01:48 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a Taycan Turbo S for my daily and I’m really happy with it. It’s my default car to take when the family is with me. My weekenders are a 765LT and 911 Turbo S.

In California finding ElectrifyAmerica stations has not been a problem. I’ve driven from the Bay Area to San Diego and back and was able to easily find charging stations.

The Connect app is decent at finding charging stations and connecting to the charger. There are occasions when the charger malfunctioned, but it’s been rare.

Last edited by riotgear; 06-16-2021 at 10:47 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by riotgear:
964-50 (07-18-2021), Der-Schwabe (06-16-2021), mdrobc1213 (06-21-2021), Needsdecaf (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 09:00 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I use my Taycan as a DD and weekender averaging around 300 miles per week during the summer months. I have a 50 amp charger in my weekend home and access to a charger in my weekday condo. I have never been to a charging station and don't plan to anytime soon. For me, there are no second thoughts. I charge twice a week and the process is less time on my part that a single trip to the gas station. Connect to the charger in the evening and you are good to go the next morning. If I had to rely on using public stations, I never would have made the decision to go with an EV. It works for my intended use, but may not be for everyone's mission. I also have an ICE, so I am never really inconvenienced. From what I can see, the EA charging network provides adequate coverage and grows every month as long as one stays on or near highways.

As for understanding the charging process, it is not a complicated as it appears. For a $200, you can buy a Tesla Tap adapter and vastly expand your access to the Tesla destination chargers (hotels, malls, parks, municipal parking lots etc. Note: Not their fast charging network). It is good insurance, if stuck with no other access.

The Connect app is okay but does not always connect to the car, but other than pre heating or cooling the car, it is not needed. It is nice to know the SOC or charging rate, but all this information as well as the charging timers and profiles can be performed from the car.

There is no debate that ICE is easier and more practical in meeting the wider demand needs. It is worth the early adoption pain as long as you have access to a home charger or a lot of time on your hands.
The following 3 users liked this post by 991carreradriver:
daveo4porsche (06-16-2021), Der-Schwabe (06-16-2021), Needsdecaf (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 10:28 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Paging @daveo4porsche

I switched to a Model 3 as my daily around Houston over 2 years ago. Sounds like you have a garage where you can hopefully install a 240v charger. If you do, you should have nothing to worry about. The only time I've ever fast charged my car has been on trips from Houston to Dallas. How often do you road trip the car outside of LA, and over 220 total miles? That's really the only time you'll ever be fast charging if you have the ability to charge at home.

Range anxiety is a real thing to new EV owners. But if you understand math, you quickly get over it and fall in love with how easy and smooth the car is on a daily basis. My Model 3 has seen plenty of 160 - 180 mile days where I started with 85% or 90% charge and arrived home without even ever thinking about stopping for a fast charge.

Prediction, you get a Taycan CT and start reaching for the Ferrari keys less....
The following 7 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
991carreradriver (06-16-2021), CarmineGT3 (06-16-2021), daveo4porsche (06-16-2021), mdrobc1213 (06-21-2021), rmitche (07-03-2021), spdracerut (06-18-2021), whiz944 (06-16-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-16-2021, 01:23 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Currently my garage is my beloved 458 Speciale (weekend/fun car) and a base Cayenne (everything else). Plan is to swap the Cayenne for a new Taycan CT4, but I'm still uneasy about the switch to a EV for my only daily/road trip car in LA...

Thinking about:

- Longer wait for refueling (charging vs gas)
- Finding good charging locations, open charging spots, understanding how all the different charging networks/brands/companies "work" to charge the car (socket(s) and adapters, app vs touch screen on charging stand, anything else)
- How useful the Connect app is for charging (Porsche Connect was a POS experience for my '19 Cayenne)
- Taking the car on the occasional road trip

My other option is to lease another new Cayenne and wait 3 more years for better technology, more range, more infrastructure & availability of fast charging... but I'm liking the CT futuristic looks inside and out a lot
  • 240+ miles range will cover 99.9% of your daily driving - you then charge at home over night and wake up "full" for the next day - charging time doesn't matter - like your cell phone it's full in the morning
    • range doesn't matter unless your daily routine is over your EV batteries average range
  • you only use "public" charging "rarely" while road tripping - 99 % of your charging will be done at home in your garage or at work (if your employer offers that)
  • connect app is minimally useful - don't focus on it - the driving experience is unaffected by it
  • road tripping requires some minimal planning (planning out where the fast chargers are on your trip ahead of time) - 1 fast charging stop a day = 500-550 miles of driving - 2 stop = 680 miles driving ins a SINGLE day (40 minutes worth of charging across 2 stops) - the Taycan is the fastest charging EV on the planet right now - and fast charging stops with a bio-break and some food means the car is ready before you are and it's really no big deal
    • there are numerous helpful apps that will plan your trip for you by showing your charging stop opportunities for any given route and estimate the time it will take the charge - these are very very helpful and easy to use and generally lower one's stress level because you now see there is a way to do it…
you don't "fuel" an EV like you fuel a gas car - and the switch over from gas to ICE goes pretty smoothly - I've owned EV's fore more that 7 years and over 300,000 combines miles - if you don't count charging at work - I've used public charger combined less than 50 times in those 7 years…it's really not a thing unless you're road tripping - and even then the common daily usage while on the road is once a day for 20-30 minutes - and stay at a hotel where you can charge overnight while the car isn't being used.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 06-16-2021 at 04:04 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
991carreradriver (06-16-2021), Der-Schwabe (06-16-2021), Mcx (06-25-2021), Needsdecaf (06-16-2021), thebishman (06-17-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 01:30 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
  • 240+ miles range will cover 99.9% of your daily driving - you then charge at home over night and wake up "full" for the next day - charging time doesn't matter - like your cell phone - range doesn't matter unless your daily routine is over your EV batteries average range
  • you only use "public" charging "rarely" while road tripping - 99 % of your charging will be done at home in your garage or at work (if your employer offers that)
  • connect app is minimally useful - don't focus on it - the driving experience is unaffected by it
  • road tripping requires some minimal planning (stopping out where the fast chargers are on your trip ahead of time) - 1 fast charging stop a day = 500-550 miles of driving - 2 stop = 680 miles driving ins a SINGLE day (40 minutes worth of charging across 2 stops) - the Taycan is the fastest charging EV on the planet right now - and fast charging stops with a bio-break and some food means the car is ready before you are and it's really no big deal
you don't "fuel" an EV like you fuel a gas car - and the switch over from gas to ICE goes pretty smoothly - I've owned EV's fore more that 7 years and over 300,000 combines miles - if you don't count charging at work - I've used public charger combined less than 50 times in those 7 years…it's really not a thing unless you're road tripping - and even then the common daily usage while on the road is once a day for 20-30 minutes - and stay at a hotel where you can charge overnight while the car isn't being used.
I'm just wondering if that will be possible going forward as EV's get more common. What if there's more EV owners at the hotel than there are chargers? Then again, maybe hotels add more chargers as a way to attract customers.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:44 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charlie C
I'm just wondering if that will be possible going forward as EV's get more common. What if there's more EV owners at the hotel than there are chargers? Then again, maybe hotels add more chargers as a way to attract customers.
good question - so far that's not an issue - but it's also interesting to note the overall rise in Fast Charging locations - you can also pick hotels that are "close" to a fast charger - I feel people have to realize that over time EV charging is going to get better not worse, and it's already pretty darn good - there is no reason to expect fewer charges in the future - so you can pick a hotel based on EV charger or proximity to fast charging so you top off for 30 min after arrival…

so far this is not a problem.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 03:51 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

• 240+ miles range will cover 99.9% of your daily driving - you then charge at home over night and wake up "full" for the next day - charging time doesn't matter - like your cell phone it's full in the morning
    • range doesn't matter unless your daily routine is over your EV batteries average range
  • road tripping requires some minimal planning (stopping out where the fast chargers are on your trip ahead of time) - 1 fast charging stop a day = 500-550 miles of driving - 2 stop = 680 miles driving ins a SINGLE day (40 minutes worth of charging across 2 stops) - the Taycan is the fastest charging EV on the planet right now - and fast charging stops with a bio-break and some food means the car is ready before you are and it's really no big deal
BTW - once you get used to charging at home overnight and getting in the vehicle “full” every morning this is one of the best aspects of owning EV - people worry about how much time they will spend charging their EV’s - when in actuality most of the time you will spend “zero” time charing your EV - cause it will charge while your not using it or asleep - so fueling the car is no longer done on “your” time during the day - it’s done while you are doing other things…

so in reality - it doesn’t take you 5 minutes to fill up your gas car - it takes 20 minutes if you include the entire “diversion” time for you to add another stop during your busy day to get some gas…

there will be no more stops during the day to fill your EV - it will fill up during idle/down-time “off” your schedule…frankly it’s one of hte best aspects of owning an EV - no more worrying about when I’m going to fill the car up.

if the car takes 4 hours to charge over night while you were sleeping - did it really take any time at all? well it did…but not in any way that impacts you -so in terms of impact to your personal time - it takes zero time to fill an EV.
The following 6 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
991.1 Guy (06-27-2021), 991carreradriver (06-16-2021), AlexCeres (06-16-2021), Charlie C (06-16-2021), mdrobc1213 (06-21-2021), T-Fury (08-03-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-16-2021, 04:15 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

also for the core questions of this post

Answer: Not generally the result - in fact the opposite - nearly all people prefer the EV after living with it and seriously consider giving up gas cars all together.

this is a rare out come that people "regret" going EV - it happens, but the 98% result is that owners because big big big fans of EV's and after a while really can not envision going back to a gasoline car - the results are historically and statistically positive by an overwhelming margin - now that is not to say for your personal case this will be true, and I know some people on the forums will say "I didn't like it" - but in the grand scheme of things it's not the expected out come or the actual outcomes for people that make the transition.
Der-Schwabe (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 04:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

BTW - once you get used to charging at home overnight and getting in the vehicle “full” every morning this is one of the best aspects of owning EV - people worry about how much time they will spend charging their EV’s - when in actuality most of the time you will spend “zero” time charing your EV - cause it will charge while your not using it or asleep - so fueling the car is no longer done on “your” time during the day - it’s done while you are doing other things…

so in reality - it doesn’t take you 5 minutes to fill up your gas car - it takes 20 minutes if you include the entire “diversion” time for you to add another stop during your busy day to get some gas…

there will be no more stops during the day to fill your EV - it will fill up during idle/down-time “off” your schedule…frankly it’s one of hte best aspects of owning an EV - no more worrying about when I’m going to fill the car up.

if the car takes 4 hours to charge over night while you were sleeping - did it really take any time at all? well it did…but not in any way that impacts you -so in terms of impact to your personal time - it takes zero time to fill an EV.
I just had an ICE loaner for my daily for two weeks and was like "oh wait, it's empty and I need to stop? Whoops, forgot about having to do that".

daveo4porsche (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 06:47 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

With 2 EVs, a e-Tron and the Taycan 4S on my driveway, I don't even bother to plug them in every night. I just drive one until it's empty and then plug it in and drive the other. No unlike with my normal cars where I just keep driving them until they are all empty and wait for a day when the gas price drop and refuel all 7 of them in a roll.

The only cars that gets plugged in every day is my Panamera turbo S. it's 30ish km battery range is just about what I drive a day, Literally it just behaves like an EV, heck, at time I would drive the 30km in the morning, go home, plug it in and drive on EV mode again for dinner trips. Think last time I filled the gas tank on the Panamera was back in March. Still got 1/3 of tank left.

Only regret was I bought the Taycan too early, my early car didn't have head up display, no OTA updates would fix that, and the trunk is quite a big on the small size. Fixed that with my order for a new Cross Turismo.
The following 3 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
964-50 (07-18-2021), daveo4porsche (06-16-2021), Der-Schwabe (06-17-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 06:50 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

also for the core questions of this post

Answer: Not generally the result - in fact the opposite - nearly all people prefer the EV after living with it and seriously consider giving up gas cars all together.
Actually, this is not accurate, 18% of EV owner's go back to ICE, at least in CA. The main reason cited, lack of ability to charge at home. See this link to a study done in CA, https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/e...s-power-study/
Old 06-16-2021, 07:51 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
I'm just wondering if that will be possible going forward as EV's get more common. What if there's more EV owners at the hotel than there are chargers?
It happens. It is always good to have a Plan B and C. For example, one of the last road trips we took before the COVID shutdown was to Oxnard CA. The hotel had one J1772 stall and one ancient Magnecharge paddle stall. While I could have used the J1772 and charged overnight, a Leafer beat me to it. Unfortunately the Magnecharger was for the 1990s EV1 and friends - and is useless for todays EVs. I mentioned to the desk manager that they should upgrade it, but I'm not sure she grokked what I was saying. Not a big deal as the Oxnard Supercharger site was just across the freeway. (EA, EVgo, and others also have high speed charging sites nearby.) So no problem getting some quick charging done the next morning while we took a quick walk around the mall. Didn't bother charging very high - as we stopped at the Atascadero Supercharger and ate lunch there on the way back north.

I've also done stuff like hunt around the parking lot for 5-15 and 5-20 receptacles. Especially in areas that get snow, folks with ICE cars will often plug their engine block heaters into them. You won't get much of a charge overnight, maybe 50-70 miles in my Model 3 and certainly less in a Taycan, but every bit helps.

Then again, maybe hotels add more chargers as a way to attract customers.
They really should. It wouldn't cost them much - certainly compared to something like a swimming pool - which I rarely use.

Last edited by whiz944; 06-16-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:28 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

Nope. I adore mine and not looking back. It's used for daily duty and replaced a 2020 Model 3. If you're seriously considering and even close on pulling the trigger just do it - life is short.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:45 AM
jmrdmd
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 61 Posts

Hi All

This is an amazing thread! I'm into my second week of EV ownership. I picked up a 2021 Taycan Turbo S last Saturday after some time thinking about EV, borrowing a friends Tesla, etc...

Suffice to say that after having it for a week, I preordered an F150 Lightning to replace my current F150 Limited! EVs are a gamechanger and the "range anxiety" that I had quickly disappeared with the reality of home charging. The car is amazing and truly feels like you are driving the future.

Thanks to all on this board for the very useful information!

Best

Jan
The following 5 users liked this post by jmrdmd:
daveo4porsche (06-17-2021), Der-Schwabe (06-17-2021), mdrobc1213 (06-21-2021), Peter F (06-25-2021), XLR82XS (06-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone get a Taycan and regret it? (ICE to EV)