Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highly Optioned 4S vs Decently Optioned Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 10:21 PM
Tip
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

honestly the Taycan is the only EV I’m even considering. I have no interest in a Tesla…call me a brand loyalist lol

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
not to get too far off track, but what are you comparing the 4S to ? Because every car I've bought since 2000 has been too fast for the road. And no, that didn't stop me from buying cars with 50% more hp than that ...
Old 08-09-2021, 10:38 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip
honestly the Taycan is the only EV I’m even considering. I have no interest in a Tesla…call me a brand loyalist lol
I'm meant your previous cars that didn't yet persuade you sports cars have far more than enough power ...
Old 08-10-2021, 01:31 AM
Gunner80
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my turbo. I went back and forth between the 4s and turbo as well. I disagree with much of what has been said in this thread. Yes, the 4s is plenty fast but the turbo is in a whole different league. The amount of instant torque and power is insane. The best part is that it is very usable since it is so instantaneous. Doesnt matter if your going 50mph or 80, a flick of your foot and you can pass any one or anything in your way. Obviously, no one NEEDS this much power but it is awesome to have. So fun and intoxicating. At any speed, if I hit the gas it hits with power I have only felt in other cars in launch control.

I just came out of a 2019 AMG E63s. I too had the feeling that the AMG ,much like the M5, had too much power for the street. It was very hard to open it up and feel the power without getting a ticket or being unsafe. After driving the turbo, I realized that its not that the AMG had too much power, it had poor delivery of power (compared to an EV) that made it unusable. Say you wanted to pass someone quickly while going 40mph, you had to mash the gas, wait for the transmission to down shift, then you got a rush of power that built up as boost built. It was the amount of time and distance that the whole sequence occurred in that made it feel unsafe. It took way to long to get into the meat of the power. In the second or two of "delay" from when I mash the gas to when I hit max velocity, the taycan has gotten up to passing speed, passed, and slowed back down.

Lastly, contrary to what others have stated, I feel that the Bose system sucks. I am by no means an audiophile but compared to the stock Burmeister in my AMG or even the stock system in my X5, the Bose is horrible. Sounds very flat and washed out.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gunner80:
Der-Schwabe (08-10-2021), drsubie (08-22-2021), Tip (08-14-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 07:37 AM
Tip
Intermediate

I currently drive a CTS-V and have a 996 C4S as my fun car. I have also leased an M2 MT and owned a 987 Boxster MT which was awesome. I know these cars have crazy HP numbers (save for the Porsches) but it’s definitely more of a want than a need when it comes to more power.

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
I'm meant your previous cars that didn't yet persuade you sports cars have far more than enough power ...
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 07:39 AM
Tip
Intermediate

that’s the feeling that I want that I think the 4S will fall flat on. I haven’t driven an EV for more than a 5 minute test drive in traffic so I don’t have experience in that segment but I know the turbo’s acceleration vs the 4S is one sided to say the least.

Originally Posted by Gunner80
I just got my turbo. I went back and forth between the 4s and turbo as well. I disagree with much of what has been said in this thread. Yes, the 4s is plenty fast but the turbo is in a whole different league. The amount of instant torque and power is insane. The best part is that it is very usable since it is so instantaneous. Doesnt matter if your going 50mph or 80, a flick of your foot and you can pass any one or anything in your way. Obviously, no one NEEDS this much power but it is awesome to have. So fun and intoxicating. At any speed, if I hit the gas it hits with power I have only felt in other cars in launch control.

I just came out of a 2019 AMG E63s. I too had the feeling that the AMG ,much like the M5, had too much power for the street. It was very hard to open it up and feel the power without getting a ticket or being unsafe. After driving the turbo, I realized that its not that the AMG had too much power, it had poor delivery of power (compared to an EV) that made it unusable. Say you wanted to pass someone quickly while going 40mph, you had to mash the gas, wait for the transmission to down shift, then you got a rush of power that built up as boost built. It was the amount of time and distance that the whole sequence occurred in that made it feel unsafe. It took way to long to get into the meat of the power. In the second or two of "delay" from when I mash the gas to when I hit max velocity, the taycan has gotten up to passing speed, passed, and slowed back down.

Lastly, contrary to what others have stated, I feel that the Bose system sucks. I am by no means an audiophile but compared to the stock Burmeister in my AMG or even the stock system in my X5, the Bose is horrible. Sounds very flat and washed out.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:25 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

My M5 didn’t take any time to spoil up in a passing situation. You’re doing 65, need to pass, in a blink you’re doing 95, and dead stable the whole time. Probably the one thing that I will miss most about that car, how smoothly and quickly it made massive power. But I also caught myself doing 110+ on the freeway a number of times. The car just had so much power and created speed so effortlessly. The Turbos I drove felt very similar to my M5.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:39 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip
that’s the feeling that I want that I think the 4S will fall flat on. I haven’t driven an EV for more than a 5 minute test drive in traffic so I don’t have experience in that segment but I know the turbo’s acceleration vs the 4S is one sided to say the least.
If you have the need, the need for speed, then it's only money. The reason why most folks look at the 4S as the sweet spot is because it's much more cost effective and the instant torque response of EVs makes it a lot faster than its horsepower numbers might suggest. It might "only" have ~480hp, but it'll smoke a ~480hp ICE car. The power delivery is a different experience. Truly instant. It's a sub 4 second car. Pretty much nobody needs more than the 4S. Want, now, yes, sure.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:44 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunner80
This. Completely. In retrospect, of money is any option, drop down a level in car and get the Burmester. Sadly I didn't.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:10 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
This. Completely. In retrospect, of money is any option, drop down a level in car and get the Burmester. Sadly I didn't.
Also agree. I can’t understand anyone thinking the Bose sounds good. Not in the same league as the B&W system in my Volvo XC90. It’s probably the only disappointing feature on my Turbo.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:18 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 190 Posts

I got a decent discount on a 2020 Turbo that has slightly unusual options that may hurt its resale (eg no sport chrono). But one reason for going with an inventory turbo for me was that they generally have some options that are rare on the 4S. I really wanted the thermally and noise insulated glass, and I also got club leather and massage seats, none of which are common on 4S cars.

The power on the turbo is ridiculous, but in a good way, whereas the 4S is “just” extremely fast.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
Also agree. I can’t understand anyone thinking the Bose sounds good. Not in the same league as the B&W system in my Volvo XC90. It’s probably the only disappointing feature on my Turbo.
Funny, numerous journalists reviewing the car have gone out of their way to note that the Bose was exceptional, best ever in a Porsche. Owners rave about it. I was very impressed with it during test drives, sounds way better than the Burmester in my buddy’s 911.

But the Internet thing is to rag on Bose. Some things never change.

Last edited by Archimedes; 08-14-2021 at 11:56 PM.
pokingaround (08-22-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 11:43 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

I have had many exotics and done many track days, and will state my 4S power is very useable on the street, and I feel that the Turbo/S is overkill. With the instantaneous torque of an EV, the 4S more than holds its own in passing maneuvers and stoplight starts. As for the Bose, I find it excellent, the sound may depend on the source material and settings, no complaints here.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:59 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Having traded a modded 2019 TTS for a T4S, I can honestly say the 4S has never left me wanting for more power. The acceleration using launch control for both the 991.2 TTS and the T4S felt very similar, as did passing at 60+ mph. My Taycan 4S has the performance package and sports chrono and stickered at $149K. Lots of unnecessary options such as Innodrive and passenger display. I have no use for Burm as Bose is adequate for me. Love the Mission E wheels but certain aftermarket wheels also look great on the Taycan. Only thing I wish I had instead is a Taycan Cross Turismo 4S for greater utility. No need for more power than these cars already have. Remember, the 4S has 562 horsepower and 479 pound-feet of torque available when using launch control.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 08-15-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:31 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Funny, numerous journalists reviewing the car have gone out of their way to note that the Bose was exceptional, best ever in a Porsche. Owners rave about it. I was very impressed with it during test drives, sounds way better than the Burmester in my buddy’s 911.

But the Internet thing is to rag on Bose. Some things never change.
Challenge. Have you listened to the burmester in the Taycan? Until then, you are sorely misinformed by those "journalists". I'm not saying the Bose is terribly bad. And frankly, I think bose makes excellent products (especially headphones). However, it sounds hollow in the Taycan. Midrange is narrow, lacking in any soundstage. The treble is tolerable but thin and too sibilant. Finally and most woefully is the bass...it's way too present while being weak and mushy. In other words, the whole system is just not fulfilling. It's fine but like I said, it's not remotely up to the task at hand in a 100k+ car. It's it works for you, kudos. However, once you have compared it to the burmester, like me, you will wish you had eliminated some other options instead.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:46 AM
Tip
Intermediate

As much as I love the Bose v. Burmester debate, I've added Burmester to my options list for a 4S. I think if I option the car myself, then I'll go the fully loaded 4S route, but if I find a year-old still new turbo on a lot somewhere that matches 90% of my options list then I'll haggle for a discount on it and see what happens.
That being said, I LOVE the 21" taycan exclusive wheels (I'm a sucker for 5-spoke fan designs - I have the turbo techno's on my 996 and they're very reminiscent of those), but at $4750 I was also looking at the 20" turbo aero wheels as a cost effective option. I will absolutely be getting the PSCB's both for the aesthetic and the minimal brake dust. Can anyone vouch for a degradation in ride quality or range by riding on the 21's as opposed to the 20 inch wheel option?
nycebo (08-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Highly Optioned 4S vs Decently Optioned Turbo