Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extremely Buggy Software - think before you daily

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 10:36 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

@Kansas911 , this is definitely worrisome. I might think that it was the lane keep assist....not active lane keeping (gotta love the nomenclature for these two). ALK 'helps' to steer the car when in automatic cruise control (ACC) and generally requires notification that the driver is still holding the wheel from time to time. Like DerekS wrote, it needs more of a nudge than a touch of the steering wheel (in contrast to the new MBs that uses sensors to detect that the driver is holding/touching the wheel).

LKA, in contrast, is only supposed to interfere when you get near a lane line and 'gently' steer you back into the middle of your lane. In theory, the goal is to prevent drivers from veering off road or into other lanes. In practice, in both Porsches and my MBs, it brakes somewhat harshly and forcefully steers away from the lane paint. It drives my father utterly bonkers every time this happens. Candidly, it makes me crazy also, but as you wrote, I'm don't feel comfortable turning it off because of these potential safety risk (an acquaintance died in a car crash many years ago after drifting out of lane while drowsy).

Anyway, point is, I don't think LKA is supposed to prompt the driver to touch the steering wheel. For confirmation, did you verify that you in fact disabled active lane keeping and not lane keep assist? Like you said, PCM is just utterly complex and the options are not all listed in a logical menu location.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:40 AM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
@Kansas911 , this is definitely worrisome. I might think that it was the lane keep assist....not active lane keeping (gotta love the nomenclature for these two). ALK 'helps' to steer the car when in automatic cruise control (ACC) and generally requires notification that the driver is still holding the wheel from time to time. Like DerekS wrote, it needs more of a nudge than a touch of the steering wheel (in contrast to the new MBs that uses sensors to detect that the driver is holding/touching the wheel).

LKA, in contrast, is only supposed to interfere when you get near a lane line and 'gently' steer you back into the middle of your lane. In theory, the goal is to prevent drivers from veering off road or into other lanes. In practice, in both Porsches and my MBs, it brakes somewhat harshly and forcefully steers away from the lane paint. It drives my father utterly bonkers every time this happens. Candidly, it makes me crazy also, but as you wrote, I'm don't feel comfortable turning it off because of these potential safety risk (an acquaintance died in a car crash many years ago after drifting out of lane while drowsy).

Anyway, point is, I don't think LKA is supposed to prompt the driver to touch the steering wheel. For confirmation, did you verify that you in fact disabled active lane keeping and not lane keep assist? Like you said, PCM is just utterly complex and the options are not all listed in a logical menu location.

Keep us posted.
LOL 100% accurate how spread out the settings are throughout the PCM. I will check today when I head out. Took a PHD to figure out how to tell the charge to charge to 85% but stop at 85%. In my Teslas I just dragged the slider and voila, done (and confident). I get the capability to account for electricity prices could be very valuable for sure.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:34 PM
NY2CA
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am considering a Taycan and good to know about these issues. I am a techie and these bugs would drive me crazy. The safety features are very important to me and needs those to work. But I do wonder if this is also because this is a new PCM and these bugs will be fix in later version.
The following 2 users liked this post by NY2CA:
Kansas911 (08-26-2021), poolie (08-29-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 04:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

While I could give a rat's hiney about things like calendars, podcasts, and driver aids like LCA or LKA, I wavered on ACC, as I don't care for it and rarely use cruise anyway. But I selected it. Now reading the description, it appears that certain other features that could trigger braking, etc. seem to be bundled in there. So I think I'm going to see if I can still delete ACC from my build. The less tech and driver aids, the better.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:11 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny how some on here who own a Taycan put up with and rationalize away the tech problems their cars have. If I had purchased a $200k car that had 1/2 as many issues as OP mentioned, I would have tried to escalate to Porsche management. With as many issues, some that might even be construed as 'safety related', I wonder if you can lemon law it?

I'm in the market for an EV. I don't need a car ASAP and can afford to order something, so my shortlist includes the Taycan CT, maybe Audi etron GT, and of course a Tesla. Seems like there is no perfect car, and while I can appreciate Porsche's build quality, handling and fun to drive factor, I'm very wary about their relatively nascent experience with tech and EV, not to mention range. Tesla appears to be polar opposite--it's whether their questionable QC and mundane driving experience can outweigh their charging infrastructure and range (and price point)...

I'm thinking we'll all have to wait a generation or 2 more for Porsche and other automakers to iron out their kinks...

The following 2 users liked this post by drsubie:
Kansas911 (08-26-2021), poolie (08-29-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 11:19 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by drsubie
Funny how some on here who own a Taycan put up with and rationalize away the tech problems their cars have. If I had purchased a $200k car that had 1/2 as many issues as OP mentioned, I would have tried to escalate to Porsche management. With as many issues, some that might even be construed as 'safety related', I wonder if you can lemon law it?

I'm in the market for an EV. I don't need a car ASAP and can afford to order something, so my shortlist includes the Taycan CT, maybe Audi etron GT, and of course a Tesla. Seems like there is no perfect car, and while I can appreciate Porsche's build quality, handling and fun to drive factor, I'm very wary about their relatively nascent experience with tech and EV, not to mention range. Tesla appears to be polar opposite--it's whether their questionable QC and mundane driving experience can outweigh their charging infrastructure and range (and price point)...

I'm thinking we'll all have to wait a generation or 2 more for Porsche and other automakers to iron out their kinks...
The reality is we are still very early in this electric car journey. I will say, having owned many of them, the Model 3 feels like the most sorted of the bunch. It still feels plenty fast and comfortable. An AWD Performance 3 is a great deal (relative to Taycan). But as many have said, it has its faults. We have zero issues day to day with the Model 3 and the interface is pretty rock solid. But I admit I like having something special and there are so many Model 3s on the road :-). The keyless entry is sometimes maddening. Wish it had Sirius. Wish I could minimize the left hand side of the display to make it all maps, etc. But it feels so small and nimble when compared with the S. But the Taycan is a proper sports car.

I 100% have OCD issues regarding my expectations about things working and that is not indicative of "normal people" but I just figured I would share because Porsche fanatics are often times detail freaks as well so I would have valued some of this. But in the end, I knew it was buggy and I just couldn't help myself - I love to explore and try everything! I still have the car as of today, mainly because an alternative (completely different) wouldn't arrive for several months.

Disabling Apple Wireless Carplay has helped with the Park Cameras/assist. But the touch screen blows overall and once you have something like Tesla maps interface (which is like your phone) you wonder why everyone else still use the old, antiquated, slow as crap navigation system. And this is another stupid thing - I know where I am going, but I like to map it out, see how long, etc.

The Taycan is a beautiful, fast car, as I stated. But if you buy one know you are 100% still an early adopter and that means it is far from polished/perfect. So just make sure you aren't like me if you decide to buy one!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kansas911:
drsubie (08-27-2021), Needsdecaf (08-30-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 12:05 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 1,777 Posts

I’ve been bouncing between my ‘20 Taycan and my wife’s ‘21 Cayenne - neither vehicle is bug free - both have faults - both have faults that are in the category listed in this posting - if you want a car that doesn’t have these sorts of faults - I”m not sure who I can recommend as your vendor.

none of these issues are worth turning the vehicle in over - but that’s my opinion - YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
poolie (08-29-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 12:19 AM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm incredibly lucky, 2020 4S, driving as a daily since December. None of the issues that the OP reports. Backup camera (although wonky distortion) always works. Apple CarPlay including wireless after update is flawless. I've had to reboot the head unit once (prior to recent updates) only issue I've ever had.
poolie (08-29-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 12:59 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a trouble free 2021 Taycan Turbo S. With that said, Porsche needs to unify the hardware so software updates are as trivial as a smartphone updates regardless of year of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by riotgear:
Der-Schwabe (08-27-2021), Kansas911 (08-27-2021), poolie (08-29-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 06:53 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 211 Posts

They can't unify the software. Something like 70 different sets of code for all the various components from all the various suppliers in any given VOW product. Tesla and upstarts are much more vertically integrated.

Classic innovators dilemma issues... Porsche should start from scratch, but probably won't because of institutional inertia and short term incentives.
The following 3 users liked this post by vcp13:
Needsdecaf (08-30-2021), nycebo (08-28-2021), whiz944 (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 08:57 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While I could give a rat's hiney about things like calendars, podcasts, and driver aids like LCA or LKA, I wavered on ACC, as I don't care for it and rarely use cruise anyway. But I selected it. Now reading the description, it appears that certain other features that could trigger braking, etc. seem to be bundled in there. So I think I'm going to see if I can still delete ACC from my build. The less tech and driver aids, the better.
Driver aids are mostly for people that can't drive. Lane Keep Assist is a really dangerous 'tech', it made the car feels like it has torque steer and demand a bigger input from the driver to overcome it's resistance, at times that bigger input could put the car in danger. The way around it is to signal your intention to the car first, by signalling. But who signals when one is in the middle of nowhere with no cars in sight for miles?

Those driver aids are at times part of a bigger package, my last 3 builds I order AROUND those aids, I would rather pay thousands extra just to not have them on the car and I actually a la carte all the options from the package, even went as far as CXX them just to not have their driver aids. The only important aid is the automatic emergency braking and that's about it.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:45 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I would rather pay thousands extra just to not have them on the car
Stop giving them ideas!
Old 08-28-2021, 04:06 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
They can't unify the software. Something like 70 different sets of code for all the various components from all the various suppliers in any given VOW product. Tesla and upstarts are much more vertically integrated.

Classic innovators dilemma issues... Porsche should start from scratch, but probably won't because of institutional inertia and short term incentives.
They could if they wanted to or if the market forced them to. They are making a choice to have a subpar user experience.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:19 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 226 Posts

I’ve had my cross turismo for almost a month now and the software is super buggy. Half the time porsche connect doesn’t recognize me and I log in as guest. I get all kinds of error messages, lift isn’t working, lane change radar isn’t working, etc…most of them appear randomly and disappear the next time I start the car. I think the other day my sport sound wasn’t working.

but god I love how smooth it is. I miss my Range Rover svr which has terrible software too but it’s no where this smooth of a ride
drsubie (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 01:45 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I’ve had my cross turismo for almost a month now and the software is super buggy. Half the time porsche connect doesn’t recognize me and I log in as guest. I get all kinds of error messages, lift isn’t working, lane change radar isn’t working, etc…most of them appear randomly and disappear the next time I start the car. I think the other day my sport sound wasn’t working.

but god I love how smooth it is. I miss my Range Rover svr which has terrible software too but it’s no where this smooth of a ride
That sounded just like one of my Tesla owning friend.

He was raving about his new Tesla, how fast it was and how lovely it did things. Told us to not to look at the gap on his centre console. It's just unlucky he got one of the not so good build.

He tried to use the phone app to unlock the car, didn't work, for 10 minutes. He's like yeah minor hiccups, no biggie.

He drove us around using Autopilot, didn't quite work, almost killed us twice, he was like no biggie again. Beta software, **** happens.

Start praying about the touch screen interface and like it's the future blah blah blah. He almost crashed trying to play with the touch screen. It was the other car's fault for letting him drift into the other lane.

We found some empty space. He tried demonstrating the swift 0-60. Had to enter Cheater mode. We waited. And waited. And waited. Meanwhile, someone else jumped into a GTR and start ripping 0-60 just to kill time. He was like just wait just wait, this is how Elon wanted the car to do, to be fully prepared. He gave up. Saying Elon had intended that mode to be used on a drag strip and not somewhere else. Cool. We had images of people waiting on the Christmas tree for 10 mins just do to a run.

He also bought TSLA at $800. Wasn't Elon's fault that the shorts got hold of the stock.

Lastly he also had deposits for the Cyber Truck, Speedster, and the Plain. Telling us that those are just stepping stones, the Roadster after the incoming Roadster is going to destroy anything and everything.

I popped back into my Panamera turbo S and went home.

The following 7 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
911land (11-02-2021), d675pdx (09-04-2021), Der-Schwabe (08-29-2021), dgtarga (08-29-2021), poolie (08-29-2021), Porsche-noob-91 (09-02-2021), thebishman (08-29-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Extremely Buggy Software - think before you daily