Sponsored by:

Extremely Buggy Software - think before you daily

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 06:06 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Extremely Buggy Software - think before you daily

I've been a huge Porsche fan. Probably owned 50+ Porsches including some of the greats (918, CGT, 911R, GT3RS 4.0, etc, etc). I've owned every Tesla as well. So naturally I had to try the Taycan. Bought a 2021 Taycan Turbo S. The car is beautiful. It is crazy fast. The handling is very Porsche. But in the end, I will end up dumping this car for the buggy, unpolished interior tech. I've had all the updates and the idea that I should just take it in again is so un-Porsche in my experience. Half the time when I back out of the garage in the AM the reverse camera and park controls don't work. It displays an error and the next time it works. Wireless Apple Carplay is slow to connect (if it does). It then automatically cuts off whatever music source I was listening to. I've even had the car appear as if the software had reset on me, only to bring my user account back. Absolutely nuts if you daily this car. Just warning you now.

I realize the way the car drives is #1. But for a daily car, having a system so buggy is not acceptable to me. Why the heck couldn't they just install the tech like in my wife's 2021 Porsche Cayenne Turbo? That works flawlessly. Instead it irritates me and I find myself ready to dump the car.

Just giving you the warning - if you want the very best and you're going to use this car as a daily driver - be prepared for some really crappy tech compared with every other Porsche you have owned. I would take my 991.1R tech over the Taycan because guess what? it works every time. It's a real bummer and a great example of just how weak companies like Porsche are on the tech front. I mean heck, I would take my DBS Superleggera 10 year old MB tech because again - it just works.

I'm not trying to start some battle, etc - I am giving input to anyone reading these forums before they buy $200K Taycan to think twice. It's the same reason I ditched the Range Rover LWB SV Autobiography. Love the looks. Drives like a boat on water (in a good way). But gosh, the tech in it is terrible (and the key is not found constantly). I just don't understand how this gets past QA. So just be warned before you buy a Taycan!
The following 4 users liked this post by Kansas911:
NA011 (09-11-2021), poolie (08-29-2021), Rich_Jenkins (08-23-2021), T3X4S (09-05-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 07:24 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas911
I've been a huge Porsche fan. Probably owned 50+ Porsches including some of the greats (918, CGT, 911R, GT3RS 4.0, etc, etc). I've owned every Tesla as well. So naturally I had to try the Taycan. Bought a 2021 Taycan Turbo S. The car is beautiful. It is crazy fast. The handling is very Porsche. But in the end, I will end up dumping this car for the buggy, unpolished interior tech. I've had all the updates and the idea that I should just take it in again is so un-Porsche in my experience. Half the time when I back out of the garage in the AM the reverse camera and park controls don't work. It displays an error and the next time it works. Wireless Apple Carplay is slow to connect (if it does). It then automatically cuts off whatever music source I was listening to. I've even had the car appear as if the software had reset on me, only to bring my user account back. Absolutely nuts if you daily this car. Just warning you now.

I realize the way the car drives is #1. But for a daily car, having a system so buggy is not acceptable to me. Why the heck couldn't they just install the tech like in my wife's 2021 Porsche Cayenne Turbo? That works flawlessly. Instead it irritates me and I find myself ready to dump the car.

Just giving you the warning - if you want the very best and you're going to use this car as a daily driver - be prepared for some really crappy tech compared with every other Porsche you have owned. I would take my 991.1R tech over the Taycan because guess what? it works every time. It's a real bummer and a great example of just how weak companies like Porsche are on the tech front. I mean heck, I would take my DBS Superleggera 10 year old MB tech because again - it just works.

I'm not trying to start some battle, etc - I am giving input to anyone reading these forums before they buy $200K Taycan to think twice. It's the same reason I ditched the Range Rover LWB SV Autobiography. Love the looks. Drives like a boat on water (in a good way). But gosh, the tech in it is terrible (and the key is not found constantly). I just don't understand how this gets past QA. So just be warned before you buy a Taycan!
Just a note - the 2022 Cayenne is moving to the Taycan PCM software base…so VW/Audi/Porsche is “all in” on this code base - I agree the tech is buggy and shows Porsche’s weakness in software/tech - I wouldn’t say it’s bad enough that you can’t daily it - but I understand that’s a matter of perspective and YMMV.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (08-23-2021), poolie (08-29-2021), XLR82XS (08-23-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 08:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

You sold a car because the rear parking sensors and Apple Car play didn't work very well?
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
AlexCeres (08-23-2021), daveo4porsche (08-23-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 08:34 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You sold a car because the rear parking sensors and Apple Car play didn't work very well?
I don't think you're actually interested in my response but just in case you are actually trying to contribute to this forum: having the reverse camera suddenly not work when you depend on it (especially with the poor rear visibility) is not acceptable for a daily. And then when the parking cameras "fail" they are down until you restart so when you go to a restaurant and don't want to hit the front curb and count on the front camera, out of luck. I don't love that I have to touch the buttons on the touch screen multiple times to change stations or change music sources or change nav because it runs worse that first gen iPad (and the PCM from the 2010s Porsches was faster). I don't need carplay, I need carplay to stop f'ing up my SiriusXM. So yes, I am likely going to sell the car because for a $200K+ daily driver, I expect key functionality to work. And having had 100+ cars I know others are better. I just love Porsche and have been trying to have an electric in the inventory. Teslas do the job but have no soul. I just want people go in eyes wide open. Go spend 30 minutes playing with the PCM if you plan to have it on. Make sure you can stand the lag, low res, general bugginess. If you can, great!
The following 4 users liked this post by Kansas911:
Captain P (08-27-2021), leaf345 (08-24-2021), poolie (08-29-2021), T3X4S (09-05-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 08:36 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Just a note - the 2022 Cayenne is moving to the Taycan PCM software base…so VW/Audi/Porsche is “all in” on this code base - I agree the tech is buggy and shows Porsche’s weakness in software/tech - I wouldn’t say it’s bad enough that you can’t daily it - but I understand that’s a matter of perspective and YMMV.
That is sad to hear but I suspect by Gen 3 they will figure it out. The current Cayenne large screen is so awesome. They are all still a bit clunky but at least hers doesn't throw errors nearly daily!
Old 08-22-2021, 09:06 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Not to start a debate, but the issues you are describing may not be wide spread and might be specific to your vehicle. I don't have any issues with my backup camera flaking out, and my wireless CarPlay has been equally as good as the other two vehicles I've owned that had the same feature. Wireless CarPlay takes a minute or two to connect. After that it doesn't seem to lose connection.

It's the best Porsche infotainment system that I've owned. I previously had a 2018 Panamera Hybrid, 991.2 GT3, 991.1 4S, and 981 Cayman S. It has issues, but I've never owned a modern car without infotainment issues.

I also had a Tesla Model X. While the Tesla system was better overall, it was missing a lot of features I regularly use like Apple Car play. I also prefer the instrument cluster on the Taycan versus the Tesla. My Tesla had a habit of all the screens going black on the highway for a couple of minutes as the system rebooted. That was always nice.

I have about 8000 miles on my Taycan Turbo S. So it's been driven a lot in the past 12 months.

The following 6 users liked this post by manitou202:
daveo4porsche (08-22-2021), Der-Schwabe (08-23-2021), Mark-991.2 (08-26-2021), Needsdecaf (08-22-2021), poolie (08-29-2021), wizee (08-27-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-22-2021, 10:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I don't think you're actually interested in my response but just in case you are actually trying to contribute to this forum: having the reverse camera suddenly not work when you depend on it (especially with the poor rear visibility) is not acceptable for a daily. And then when the parking cameras "fail" they are down until you restart so when you go to a restaurant and don't want to hit the front curb and count on the front camera, out of luck. I don't love that I have to touch the buttons on the touch screen multiple times to change stations or change music sources or change nav because it runs worse that first gen iPad (and the PCM from the 2010s Porsches was faster). I don't need carplay, I need carplay to stop f'ing up my SiriusXM. So yes, I am likely going to sell the car because for a $200K+ daily driver, I expect key functionality to work. And having had 100+ cars I know others are better. I just love Porsche and have been trying to have an electric in the inventory. Teslas do the job but have no soul. I just want people go in eyes wide open. Go spend 30 minutes playing with the PCM if you plan to have it on. Make sure you can stand the lag, low res, general bugginess. If you can, great!
I have and didn’t think it was any worse than any other Porsche I’ve owned. What you describe are minor inconveniences that would have no bearing on my view of the car. All I care is how it feels driving. Forward.

Loved all my Porsches so far and most of them didn’t even have rear view cameras or Apple Car Play.

And if you’ve owned over 100 cars, I’m guessing you’re hard to please…

Last edited by Archimedes; 08-22-2021 at 10:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
daveo4porsche (08-23-2021), daveyator (08-22-2021), Mark-991.2 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 12:01 AM
daveyator
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

So far ours has been great. Maybe I don’t get out much tech wise but the Taycan, so far, seems to know what we want when we want it. The split bird’s eye view or whatever is always seemingly there when we need it. The stern female voice is a little harsh though!
Old 08-23-2021, 10:12 AM
lexbro
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Every tech bug you've mentioned occurs with my vehicle almost daily-I can live with many but the losses of my cameras and park assist are especially grating. I hoped the massive firmware update I just had done would help but things are even worse now...still love everything else about the car
The following users liked this post:
Kansas911 (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 10:28 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

OP--I get your point and will be watching out for these issues.

I am drawn to the Porsche brand mostly because these cars work out of the box, whether they're 3 months or 30 years old. It'd be a crying shame for Porsche to attempt a daily product if they can't get the usability aspects right.

I have either no radio from factory or radio delete in my Porsches (except the Macan). I frankly don't give two ducks about having SiriCarChromePlayCast in the head unit. But if it's there, it better works as advertised.

My Taycan CT won't be here until Jan but I really want to see for myself what this bodes for the brand and many of us diehard supporters...

Last edited by CRex; 08-23-2021 at 10:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CRex:
Kansas911 (08-25-2021), poolie (08-29-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 10:35 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

Not in the market for a Taycan currently but can see owning one in a few years...my usual rule is never buy a German car in the first year of production. Maybe for the Taycan, the rule should be extended a bit to "never buy an German electric car in the first 3 to 5 years".

OP - sorry to hear of your troubles.
Kansas911 (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 02:36 PM
Sanguru
2nd Gear

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new the Taycan world. Just got a Taycan Turbo S as my daily driver. So far so good after the recalls and software updates. It's been working better than my Model 3 performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sanguru:
poolie (08-29-2021), XLR82XS (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 03:19 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

No problems here, but I have a 2021, I am sure there are problems in the first production vehicles, as there are for any brand.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Complaining about back up cameras and Apple Car Play reminded me of this bit by Louis CK...

AlexCeres (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 12:06 AM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

I find this thread kind of odd because my Taycan has no software issues whatsoever and my 2020 992 has all sorts of weird quirks and bugs. My Tacan door handles always pop out on approach, my 992 used to, now they do not. My Taycan Apple car play always connects when I get in the car, my 992 does not and starts up in AM radio now. My Tacan camera and parking sensors are always working perfect and the car is easy to back into my car park. My 992 is kinda off on the camera and it is hard to put the car in the Parking spot perfectly straight, part of that is my parking spots fault as the lines are not perfectly parallel, the other is the car because if you use the lines on the rear camera (display on dash) the car is not where the camera shows it. Additionally the 992 is much wider in the rear that the front so the rear of the car can be centered and the front not (because of the camera display being off).

I really do not need the cameras or sensors to park, but as my cars are lowered, it keeps me from touching the parking curb if I am too aggressive.

I still love both cars and have no real complaints, as these are just super minor issues that have no bearing on why I purchased the car. If I could have any one feature from my 991.2 back for both my 992 and Taycan, it would be the right sided MFA stalk. I loved being able to scroll through everything in the MFA with the stalk, as it made it really easy to select the functions I wanted. I also miss the steering wheel controls from my Macan Turbo, however the Taycan wheel is not too bad in comparison.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cheshi143:
Der-Schwabe (08-24-2021), poolie (08-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Extremely Buggy Software - think before you daily