Bose v. Burmester; Massaging Seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 07:22 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
I have the Burmester in my Taycan, primarily because I was so unimpressed by the Bose systems in the three different Taycans I test drove. I've seen many rave about the Bose being so much better in the Taycan, but my experience was that it sounded nowhere near as good as the Bose in my Panamera Turbo. And the Bose I have in our Cayenne S is somewhere in between the Panamera the the Taycans I tested.
I was just using a brand new macan loaner with a bose system, the bose in the macan sounds mushy and is not as well done as it is in the taycan. I read somewhere this is because the bose system was designed for the taycan while in other models it was just "slapped" into the car.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:20 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by kort677
I was just using a brand new macan loaner with a bose system, the bose in the macan sounds mushy and is not as well done as it is in the taycan. I read somewhere this is because the bose system was designed for the taycan while in other models it was just "slapped" into the car.
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...l#post17641709
Old 09-03-2021, 09:17 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by kort677
The brochures for all the models I've owned each state that the Bose system was designed specifically for the model. But clearly, some sound better than others. And in some cases, much better. My experience in the Taycan loaners sounds like an outlier, but I don't regret the Burmester upgrade.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:44 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 226 Posts

I have the burmeister in my cross turismo. It’s nice but if I had to do it again I would have spent the money on ventilated and massaging seats. It’s not 7500 nice, it more like 1500 to 3000 nicer.
The following users liked this post:
kort677 (09-04-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 03:20 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
I do have Premium Package, Sport Sound, Performance Battery Plus, Air Suspension, Sport Chrono, InnoDrive/ACC/ALK and the all-important Power Charge Port Covers.

Thanks.
I don't see power charge doors as all-important. Nice but not must have IMO. As others have stated, the Bose is incredible and the best Bose put in Porsche. Burmester is outstanding and it blew me away in my 970 panamera turbo years ago. If within your budget go Burmester.
For the cost of Innodrive, ACC, night vision and other assistance stuff I would pass on those and spend on Burmester.
nycebo (09-08-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 02:49 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Bose inside the Taycan is the best Bose system Porsche had ever put inside a car, it rivals Burmeister systems in their other car offerings.

Burmeister system inside the Taycan is the best Burmeister system Porsche has ever put inside any car.

My Taycan 4S is the fifth Burmeister system I have from Porsche. First was the one in the 918. Then it was the Cayenne turbo S, Exclusive turbo S, Panamera turbo S. I am having the Burmeister system again in my incoming Taycan Cross Turismo.

As for the seats. 18 way has the added adjustable side bolsters for seat back and lower seat, 14 way trade that for massage function. Mostly personal preference. I never bothered with massage function in my other cars so no biggie for me. But I find the 14 way seat, which is on my current Taycan, too wide for my build. I slide around in them, so 18-way with side bolsters Is a must just so I can bring the side of the seat closer. Someone else could find the 14 way fit perfectly fine and would have no need for adjustable side bolsters.
This is very informative. Having had 14 ways in a Cayenne and knowing they don't fit as well as 18s for the same reason, I slide around, I was thinking the photos of the 14s in a Taycan CT seemed better if I wanted the massage function. I'll be sticking with 18s should I end up pulling the trigger on a TCT. Also, good info on the Bose v. Burnmeister.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:58 AM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's Burmester, not Burmeister. No I in it.

I personally have a nearly pathological hatred for all things Bose. I'd spring for "audio system delete" if the only other choice was a Bose system, and then I'd put in an aftermarket system.

Burmester totally outclasses Bose in every way. It's more expensive but I'd go for the Burmester system.

Yes I'm very biased. Just being honest about it.
The following 3 users liked this post by cmjohnson:
closenough (09-24-2023), George from MD (09-28-2021), txpackers (09-26-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 10:25 PM
kflory
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

What cmjohnson said. Bose and audio quality are two mutually exclusive things.

I have the Burmester and pretty happy with it, It made me go back and iterate on my 993 update as the Taycan was sounding better and could not have that. I can drown out any difference with the engine.

And as to power massage seats, don't knock'em until you have tried them. I have them in my S7 and was a no brainer to get them in the Taycan. When you back aches and you are stuck in traffic, or on a long drive, it is awesome.

Last edited by kflory; 09-29-2021 at 10:28 PM.
daveo4porsche (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 11:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
@Archimedes ah no, it isn't. I had the Burmester in my Cayenne Turbo and it dominated. Extraordinary midrange balanced perfectly with tight bass. If I had one complaint, it was only that the treble could be a touch shrill on neutral and required dialing it back a bit. Furthermore, I have the Burmester in my Mercedes. It is lovely and completely balanced, requiring only a tad less bass this time round when listening to XM radio but never on my lossless SD card. Just a crystal blissful listening experience.

This contrasts with the Taycan Bose. Sure, it's fine. It's average. Good on you for being happy with the sound. However, and again, it doesn't compare to the Burmester.
Who said it sounded as good as the Burmester? I just said the Bose sounded fantastic in the Taycan, better than any Bose system I’ve heard in any other car. But I get that that it’s not cool to say good things about Bose on the Internet. The cool kids gotta keep up their net cred.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:42 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 1,777 Posts

mmmmm - massage seats…the Bose in the Taycan is the best Bose in any Porsche to date - as to if it’s Burmester worthy that’s another conversation that I’m not qualified to comment on - but the Bose is quite good IMHO.

mmmmmm massage seats - after experiencing them in my Taycan wife made me add them to her ‘21 Cayenne as part of our order process.

neighbor with ‘22 Cayenne on order - felt our Cayenne massage seats and she added them to her order…just saying.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
kflory (09-30-2021), umwolverine (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 07:58 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I just said the Bose sounded fantastic in the Taycan
Fantastic? The problem with hyperbole is that it opens you up to an impression of zero credibility.

The Bose is not fantastic. It is average, and only slightly above mediocre. For the upgrade cost, it's not worth it. However, the standard stereo is simply bad, so one is left with no option but to pad Porsche's profits. It's a shame because as I've mentioned elsewhere, the mid-premium stereo upgrades from other manufacturers are so much better. When I go back and forth between the MB, Audi and Taycan (Bose), I'm reminded of that last fact EVERY time.
George from MD (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 09:22 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

mmmmmm massage seats - after experiencing them in my Taycan wife made me add them to her ‘21 Cayenne as part of our order process.

neighbor with ‘22 Cayenne on order - felt our Cayenne massage seats and she added them to her order…just saying.
Haha massage seats. Never had them in any of my Porsches. Comfort trumps massaging function and Porsche's 18 way seats is the most comfortable seat there are. If only they can put massaging function into the 18s. I have the massage seat in my e-Tron and my girlfriend loved it but I never used it even once, she wanted it in our new Cross Turismo. She got a no as an answer.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:03 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

The Bose is not fantastic. It is average, and only slightly above mediocre. For the upgrade cost, it's not worth it. However, the standard stereo is simply bad, so one is left with no option but to pad Porsche's profits. It's a shame because as I've mentioned elsewhere, the mid-premium stereo upgrades from other manufacturers are so much better. When I go back and forth between the MB, Audi and Taycan (Bose), I'm reminded of that last fact EVERY time.
It's worth it since the base stereo sucks. Best Bose in a Porsche. It's only $1500 which is a tiny % of total purchase.
Burmester in base comes in 2 ways: $7000 stand-alone or $5700 as part of the premium package. Not worth $7K IMO.
nycebo (10-02-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 03:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Fantastic? The problem with hyperbole is that it opens you up to an impression of zero credibility.
You mean hyperbole like 'Bose blows' that gets parroted over and over on the Internet because it's cool to say?

The Taycan Bose sounds wonderful. Much better than the HK in my M5 that its replacing or the B&O in my Audi before that. The Bose in my GT4 is meh, even with a good source, but the Taycan Bose system is very good and the cost is minimal.
The following 4 users liked this post by Archimedes:
daveo4porsche (09-30-2021), Der-Schwabe (09-30-2021), gnop1950 (12-03-2021), umwolverine (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 05:45 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 113 Posts

In the old days (aside from the 901 speakers), Bose were well known for building speakers that relied on mechanical frequency transposition to hide holes in the response. On one song it would sort of work (usually "wall of sound" style music), but on more simple music is would fail badly.

Today, every single system "designed for the car" has a digital signal processor ironing out the frequency response of even the zero-cost system. Materials technology also allows for inexpensive drivers with much greater bandwidth. What does this all mean? Be careful of your old opinions. Some inexpensive JBL/Bose systems will outperform top systems from 10 years ago. Road noise and the ubiquity of compression makes a bigger difference than there is between medium and expensive system options in european and US cars and trucks. I recently heard a factory system in a Ford F150 that was delightful with specific source material but was totally unremarkable after we turned on the engine and started driving down the highway on all terrain tires.

The Burmester in my 991.1 TS is incredible. So much so that it highlights flaws in recording. The moment the car starts rolling and the tire noise begins, my experience goes downhill. Was it worth $5500? Only when I'm at a standstill.

I didn't spend the extra $5700 on the Burmester in the Taycan CT4S in the hope that I wont be spending very much time sitting still and listening to lossless recordings. 2020+ Bose will do just fine.
The following 4 users liked this post by Visceral:
911land (11-02-2021), daveo4porsche (10-01-2021), gnop1950 (12-03-2021), nycebo (10-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Bose v. Burmester; Massaging Seats