Sponsored by:

Taycan Cross Turismo 4 or 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 01:59 PM
E-BUKARUU
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taycan Cross Turismo 4 or 4S?

Hey everyone. I am building my CT and am pressed between a 4 or a 4S. Is the ~93hp worth the extra $14K? I spec'd the 4 and 4S side-by-side with all of the same items and the difference is ~$14K + Tax. Just checking the temp on what others feel on this. I currently own an '06 Cayenne Turbo S and feel like sometimes it's a Porsche thing wherein "I have the S model" and not "just" the trim below. Again, interested in others' thoughts but still have time to change it up as my freeze date is in mid-October. Thanks to all. - BUKARUU
Old 09-17-2021, 02:38 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Some people will say it's worth it and others will say it's not so I'm not sure how much that would help you. If you sell the car at some point you will recover some portion of the 14k so it's not like it's lost. There may be a better residual on the jump between that 4 and 4S than most of the options you choose.

If you have an allocation for a 4 it's not an option change to get a 4S. You would need to get a new allocation for a 4S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Loess:
E-BUKARUU (09-17-2021), mdrobc1213 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 04:22 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I doubt most Porsche drivers really need the extra horsepower and torque above what the CT4 gives. Some think they do, because they get caught up in numbers, but in reality there's never a place where the extra hp and torque will make a difference unless you're tracking the car. (Our RAV4 Prime has fabulous torque in EV mode, and with it I have incredibly good acceleration for passing and getting quickly up to speed on expressways; it's rare that anybody else accelerates faster than our RAV4 Prime does from a traffic-light stop. Oh, and the RAV4 Prime is better than Porsche E-Hybrids in this regard.) I have yet to drive a CT4, but I can't imagine that I'll ever be wanting more hp or torque with it (and I'm a fast accelerator and a fast driver, by default; and, yes, I've test-driven two Taycan Turbo S cars).

Last edited by cometguy; 10-06-2021 at 04:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cometguy:
ggreg911 (10-08-2021), mdrobc1213 (10-08-2021), Raccareddie (10-07-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 04:38 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I doubt most Porsche drivers really need the extra horsepower and torque above what the CT4 gives. Some think they do, because they get caught up in numbers, but in reality there's never a place where the extra hp and torque will make a difference unless you're tracking the car. (Our RAV4 Prime has fabulous torque in EV mode, and with it I have incredibly good acceleration for passing and getting quickly up to speed on expressways; it's rare that anybody else accelerates faster than our RAV4 Prime does from a traffic-light stop. Oh, and the RAV4 Prime is better than Porsche E-Hybrids in this regard.) I have yet to drive a CT4, but I can't imagine that I'll ever be wanting more hp or torque with it (and I'm a fast accelerator and a fast driver, by default; and, yes, I've test-driven two Taycan Turbo S cars).
Yup. All of this. My Model Y has taught/reminded me how critically important instant-torque is.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 06:23 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 418 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by E-BUKARUU
....... Is the ~93hp worth the extra $14K?.....
Only you can answer this.
Model S buyers have to do a similar calculation with the Plaid.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:38 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Had the same issue and thought process when I went thru my allocation which I luckily found in July when my dealer got one. They didn't get an available Cross Turismo 4S allocation so that kinda made it a bit easier for me. Wait for the CT 4S or take the CT 4. In reality, the extra HP/Torque even tho an EV I don't think matters especially for driving day to day in the US outside of a track or HPDE and don't think I am buying a CT 4 for that purpose. Mine will be my daily driver and I have others to satisfy my "need for speed" in the garage. So yeah no need to go higher for me other than bragging rights and party tricks with launch control and how often do you do that and how much is that worth? Only each of us can ask but for me it wasn't worth $15-20k price difference in my builds...also don't buy that salesman tactic that you'll get some of it back at resale...never do. Its only worth what the other buyer is willing to pay and upgraded options and models don't ever bring that much more...not for a mass produced vehicle IMHO.
Originally Posted by mchrono
Only you can answer this.
Model S buyers have to do a similar calculation with the Plaid.
Yep...only you as the buyer...and you wallet and some common sense!
The following 2 users liked this post by mdrobc1213:
ggreg911 (10-08-2021), mcipseric (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 12:08 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Drive both if you can then decide if there is value to you.

I did not see the value in the S, Turbo or Turbo S for my needs.

I am EXTREMELY happy with my CT4!

Enjoy the process!

Originally Posted by E-BUKARUU;[url=tel:17672972
17672972[/url]]Hey everyone. I am building my CT and am pressed between a 4 or a 4S. Is the ~93hp worth the extra $14K? I spec'd the 4 and 4S side-by-side with all of the same items and the difference is ~$14K + Tax. Just checking the temp on what others feel on this. I currently own an '06 Cayenne Turbo S and feel like sometimes it's a Porsche thing wherein "I have the S model" and not "just" the trim below. Again, interested in others' thoughts but still have time to change it up as my freeze date is in mid-October. Thanks to all. - BUKARUU
mdrobc1213 (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 08:51 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
Alas, I don't think that many dealerships have a CT4 available to test-drive.
What have you learned about the lift modes in your CT4? Can you measure how high the ground clearance is in the highest level?
Old 10-10-2021, 01:35 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Enjoy the process!
Agree...one thing did totally cement my decision tho...it was today in that I was lucky enough to see one in the flesh. Stopped by my dealership since I was in the area getting my wife's BMW services to just check to see if my SA had gotten my most recent build upgrade and low and behold to my surprise did I see a 2021 Taycan CT sitting in the show room ready for delivery! Almost left without seeing it but happened to turn around and glance before leaving and saw it out of the corner of my eye. All I can say is WOW!!!! Ordered my car without ever seeing one in the flesh and metal and the pics and computer screen don't do it justice! This is a VERY nice car...almost has more. presence than my 992 when you 1st come across it. Very low even in the CT version and wide....just awesome. Best thing it allowed me to see some of my chosen and not chosen options in person and thus solidify a few questions still lingering about my build.

Will gladly part with a stablemate or re-arrange a portfolio or two to add this one to the garage! . Gorgeous Almost at a loss for words. So I will let the pics do the rest!

The following 4 users liked this post by mdrobc1213:
cyclrder (10-12-2021), Der-Schwabe (10-10-2021), ggreg911 (10-12-2021), thebishman (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 10:16 AM
LukasMendez
4th Gear

Originally Posted by E-BUKARUU
Hey everyone. I am building my CT and am pressed between a 4 or a 4S. Is the ~93hp worth the extra $14K? I spec'd the 4 and 4S side-by-side with all of the same items and the difference is ~$14K + Tax. Just checking the temp on what others feel on this. I currently own an '06 Cayenne Turbo S and feel like sometimes it's a Porsche thing wherein "I have the S model" and not "just" the trim below. Again, interested in others' thoughts but still have time to change it up as my freeze date is in mid-October. Thanks to all. - BUKARUU
It depends on your budget which means if you can go with the 14k plus, go with it
that's my opinion
Old 10-10-2021, 12:44 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 211 Posts

I think this a good question that goes beyond the $, given availability of 4 is > 4s and given the difference between a CT4 and a taycan RWD

Have any taycan 4s owners driven the CT4? I'd love to hear feedback / comparison between power delivery and feel of the 2

I've driven the RWD taycan and I found it not enough for me, but The CT4 has dual motors + larger battery back and the 0-60 from Porsche is 4.8 vs 5.1 in RWD
Old 10-10-2021, 07:12 PM
LukasMendez
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LukasMendez
It depends on your budget which means if you can go with the 14k plus, go with it 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
that's my opinion
I think it really worth it for a couple of thousand bucks
Old 10-12-2021, 01:58 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

im having a hard time seeing what comes on the 4s over the 4 besides the increase in power.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:11 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Enjoy the process!
Thanks. Interested more in your initial impressions and thought processes as you decided between the two if you don't mind sharing.
It depends on your budget which means if you can go with the 14k plus, go with it
that's my opinion
Budget is a factor for some...even for me with this replacing my main daily driver which was a 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback and not necessarily cheap. However for $14k price delta between the 4 and 4S; I still don't see much of the difference other than I think 1 sec in the 0-60 times 3.8/3.9 for CT4S and 4.8/4.9 for the CT which guys is still faster than most other drivers beside you on the road. So question IMHO become more of a badging issue and customer preference and wallet tolerances not utility especially when we talk about the almost ludicrous speeds and times of the S and Turbo S Taycans AND their respective costs!!
Originally Posted by vcp13
I think this a good question that goes beyond the $, given availability of 4 is > 4s and given the difference between a CT4 and a taycan RWD
Have any taycan 4s owners driven the CT4? I'd love to hear feedback / comparison between power delivery and feel of the 2
I've driven the RWD taycan and I found it not enough for me, but The CT4 has dual motors + larger battery back and the 0-60 from Porsche is 4.8 vs 5.1 in RWD
Drove a Taycan 4S sedan and then a Turbo and very much difference in power delivery and quickness but then again not much I'd really see the need for daily driving and in a way when driving it using all that power I wasn't being very battery/EV friendly if that makes sense. Great performance in those cars but eats battery and thus endurance time....I think. Interested in opinions of those with more seat/ownership time as mine limited to demo drives.
I think it really worth it for a couple of thousand bucks
Yep as stated buyer preference..but when is $14-15k just a couple of thousand bucks? Only in a Porsche forum! LOL
Originally Posted by dchang81
im having a hard time seeing what comes on the 4s over the 4 besides the increase in power.
Quicker to 60 secs by 1 sec given the docs from Porsche however since they do underestimate their times conservatively its probably much more closer I think. Also doubt most drivers will/would notice in real world driving situations given real world driving experiences and skills delta between many driving these cars.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

IMO, a car starts feeling fast in the sub 4 second range. Cars that are below that feel like very fast street cars to me. Above that it goes from quick to meh pretty fast. I’ve owned a number of cars below and above that threshold and that’s where I find the line of differentiation. And I find anything around 3 or below too fast for the street and a waste. My M5 was a legit 3.1s street car and it was just too fast and the power at the limit was unusable and unnecessary.
mdrobc1213 (10-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Taycan Cross Turismo 4 or 4S?