Taycan as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 05:54 PM
walls99
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Taycan as a daily driver

I am interested in getting a Taycan CT.

I have a 100 mile daily commute that's a combination of city and highway driving. It takes me an hour to an hour and a quarter each way.

I'm wondering if those of you who own one and use it as your daily driver think how you'd feel if your commute was as long as mine time and distance wise.

I am 6 ft tall and around 200 lbs if that helps to give me feedback about comfort for that long of a ride.

Thanks in advance

Popular Reply

11-30-2023, 11:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,808 Likes on 2,170 Posts

Picked up my Taycan GTS ST from PECLA earlier today.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:56 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by walls99
I am interested in getting a Taycan CT.

I have a 100 mile daily commute that's a combination of city and highway driving. It takes me an hour to an hour and a quarter each way.

I'm wondering if those of you who own one and use it as your daily driver think how you'd feel if your commute was as long as mine time and distance wise.

I am 6 ft tall and around 200 lbs if that helps to give me feedback about comfort for that long of a ride.

Thanks in advance
the car is one of the better driving cars that I own. ( I own a taycan 4s not a ct)
two things that you need to consider, do you a home charger or one at work?
and do you want to be driving so many miles in the car.
the car is made to be driven, your size is easily accommodated in the car.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:08 PM
walls99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kort677
the car is one of the better driving cars that I own.
two things that you need to consider, do you a home charger or one at work?
and do you want to be driving so many miles in the car.
the car is made to be driven, your size is easily accommodated in the car.
Yes, I have a charger both at home and work. So charging is not an issue. I have some electrify America chargers within 15-20 minutes from home as well.

I don't mind the drive. I've been doing it for the past 3+ years, and could be doing it for another 3-4 years. Thanks for your feedback on my size not being an issue.

If I buy this car, I'll be putting around 20-25,000 commuter miles a year on it. That's 100k in 4 years. What's that gonna do the the battery and it's charge holding capacity. I would be owning this car for at least 6-7 years given how much I'm spending on it. Any idea how this car will perform that many years later.

Good to know the car is meant to be driven
Old 10-07-2021, 08:22 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

If I buy this car, I'll be putting around 20-25,000 commuter miles a year on it. That's 100k in 4 years. What's that gonna do the the battery and it's charge holding capacity. I would be owning this car for at least 6-7 years given how much I'm spending on it. Any idea how this car will perform that many years later.
I think that a lot of us are keenly interested in how the Taycan will hold up at 50k, 75k, and 100k miles (and more). I hope that the top-mileage Taycan owners will keep us posted on how the car's battery does as the mileage adds up, regarding battery degradation (how much charge it will hold as it ages, and if charging times lengthen with age, etc.). Since you'll be charging mainly at home and at work, your AC charging should not degrade the battery as quickly as if you were doing most of your charging via DC fast chargers.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:30 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

I use my 2021 as a daily driver and could not be more comfortable and happy. It's amazing on the highway - even more so than my 970 Panamera Turbo. I'm 6' 3" 200lbs. and I have to say that the 14 or 18 way seat option is a MUST for us tall people. I've been driving a loaner 4S for the past 2 months with standard 8-way seats and the lack of cushion extension and bolster really has a negative effect on comfort especially longer road trips.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:53 AM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

The Taycan is so smooth, comfortable, and quiet (esp. with the insulated glass option) that it shines as a daily driver.
You can actually listen to music, etc. without having to crank the volume.
It just doesn't wear me out as much as my other cars after a long drive.
From the driver's perspective, it doesn't feel claustrophobic.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 10:28 AM
walls99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I use my 2021 as a daily driver and could not be more comfortable and happy. It's amazing on the highway - even more so than my 970 Panamera Turbo. I'm 6' 3" 200lbs. and I have to say that the 14 or 18 way seat option is a MUST for us tall people. I've been driving a loaner 4S for the past 2 months with standard 8-way seats and the lack of cushion extension and bolster really has a negative effect on comfort especially longer road trips.
Thanks for the feed back. I will be getting the 14 way seats at least. I tried them and liked them. Not sure about the 18 way though. Wish a dealer had a car with them to try out.

Originally Posted by Captain Scurry
The Taycan is so smooth, comfortable, and quiet (esp. with the insulated glass option) that it shines as a daily driver.
You can actually listen to music, etc. without having to crank the volume.
It just doesn't wear me out as much as my other cars after a long drive.
From the driver's perspective, it doesn't feel claustrophobic.
I used to drive a 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe back in the day and I remember it wasn't claustrophobic. The one test drive of the Taycan didn't feel like that either. Although the Taycan did feel like a bit tighter fit from what I remember and may be that's because I gained weight, lol. I've noticed that ACC is the best thing ever that has helped me on long distances and on my daily commute that helps me not wear out from my drives. That is a must have for me going forward.

Originally Posted by cometguy
I think that a lot of us are keenly interested in how the Taycan will hold up at 50k, 75k, and 100k miles (and more). I hope that the top-mileage Taycan owners will keep us posted on how the car's battery does as the mileage adds up, regarding battery degradation (how much charge it will hold as it ages, and if charging times lengthen with age, etc.). Since you'll be charging mainly at home and at work, your AC charging should not degrade the battery as quickly as if you were doing most of your charging via DC fast chargers.
Good to hear that charging at home doesn't degrade the battery as much as a DC charger.
24Neptune (01-18-2024)
Old 10-07-2021, 10:49 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Yes, I have a charger both at home and work. So charging is not an issue. I have some electrify America chargers within 15-20 minutes from home as well.

I don't mind the drive. I've been doing it for the past 3+ years, and could be doing it for another 3-4 years. Thanks for your feedback on my size not being an issue.

Good to know the car is meant to be driven
If you're AC charging, your degradation will be minimal. I know that there isn't a lot of high mileage data for the Taycan, but based on my Tesla results, I'm only down 10% in 35k miles on two different cars, and most of that was initial. And, I suspect, much of that is actually not lost range, but the pack management not being fully calibrated since I rarely explore above 90 or below 20.

At 6' and 200 lbs you'll be fine. I'm 6'2, 230 and fit fine.

Only issue is that you'll be destroying the value of the car but if you are comfortable with that, I can't imagine a much better car for lots of commuting. Just make sure you get active cruise! The EV and the air suspension will be heavenly. Even my crappy-*** suspension Tesla soaked up the 30k plus / year I've done to it and delivered me relaxed.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:58 PM
walls99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
If you're AC charging, your degradation will be minimal. I know that there isn't a lot of high mileage data for the Taycan, but based on my Tesla results, I'm only down 10% in 35k miles on two different cars, and most of that was initial. And, I suspect, much of that is actually not lost range, but the pack management not being fully calibrated since I rarely explore above 90 or below 20.

At 6' and 200 lbs you'll be fine. I'm 6'2, 230 and fit fine.

Only issue is that you'll be destroying the value of the car but if you are comfortable with that, I can't imagine a much better car for lots of commuting. Just make sure you get active cruise! The EV and the air suspension will be heavenly. Even my crappy-*** suspension Tesla soaked up the 30k plus / year I've done to it and delivered me relaxed.
I made peace with the fact that putting so many miles destroys the value, but hey, I had fun while I drove it I cannot live without Active Cruise Control, it is a god send. What does Air suspension do for the ride. I did notice that around turns it keeps the car flat, but apart from that, how does it work/help ?
Needsdecaf (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 04:24 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

I made peace with the fact that putting so many miles destroys the value, but hey, I had fun while I drove it I cannot live without Active Cruise Control, it is a god send. What does Air suspension do for the ride. I did notice that around turns it keeps the car flat, but apart from that, how does it work/help ?
It doesn't assist with keeping the car flat - that is PDCC. Air suspension makes not only the ride switchable from incredibly comfortable to sporty, but also allows height settings. I keep mine in the lowest setting all the time not only for looks but for increased efficiency.
The following 2 users liked this post by XLR82XS:
Needsdecaf (10-07-2021), wutographydc (01-29-2023)
Old 10-07-2021, 04:41 PM
walls99
Intermediate

It doesn't assist with keeping the car flat - that is PDCC. Air suspension makes not only the ride switchable from incredibly comfortable to sporty, but also allows height settings. I keep mine in the lowest setting all the time not only for looks but for increased efficiency.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:52 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Yup. Air suspension = magic carpet. Now, traditionally (Range Rover, Lincoln, etc.) it was always cushy. A little "floaty-boaty". Porsche has been offering it for a while on the Cayenne and Panamera and now the Taycan. And while you still feel a little more disconnected than with steel springs, the car remains very capable and the ride is tremendously composed and smooth.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:47 PM
walls99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yup. Air suspension = magic carpet. Now, traditionally (Range Rover, Lincoln, etc.) it was always cushy. A little "floaty-boaty". Porsche has been offering it for a while on the Cayenne and Panamera and now the Taycan. And while you still feel a little more disconnected than with steel springs, the car remains very capable and the ride is tremendously composed and smooth.
I don't see Air Suspension as an available option on the Taycan CT 4. I found the following article that says it is standard. Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35699492/2021-porsche-taycan-cross-turismo-specs-revealed/

Last edited by walls99; 10-07-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:04 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Taycan CT is a fantastic DD. I couldn't be happier with mine.
XLR82XS (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 02:35 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

When you say you tried the 14-way seats, was that in a Taycan? I only ask because you mentioned concern about your size. I'm slightly smaller than you and couldn't get past the relationship between the B-pillar and the driver seat. In terms of getting in and out of the car, I found it untenable. I know lots of people feel differently obviously, and I absolutely love the car in general (would've ordered a CT to replace my Panamera Sport Turismo in fact) but really hated this. YMMV.

TL;DR - seat choice notwithstanding, make sure you get in and out of a Taycan a bunch of times

Quick Reply: Taycan as a daily driver