Sponsored by:

Big and Tall Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 03:34 PM
biggreek
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Big and Tall Drivers

Coming to you from the 991 side of the house, I stopped to my local Porsche dealer for service and decided to take a look at the Taycan. Just for poops and laughs.

From the outside and glimpse of the inside, I love the way the car looks, very attractive. I sat in it, very comfortable, I loved it.

BUT, in my seating/driving position, I see the B pillar is way way far forward. I go to get out....and had a very hard time, due to the space between the steering wheel and B pillar.

I'm not the smallest guy in the world, coming in at 250lbs/6'4". How does everyone else manage? Is this a complaint from other big and tall drivers? Just curious.

Cheers
Old 12-29-2021, 06:28 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I noticed this as well and am only 5’9”/ 165 lbs. Someone suggested making sure the steering wheel is all the way forward to creat more space when entering/ exciting …. I haven’t spent enough time in a Taycan to check that out but assume “comfort access” is not something that is adjustable enough to make that happen so perhaps a memory setting can be used to help ?
Old 12-29-2021, 07:05 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

6'1" and 220 lbs -- not the easiest transition to make but I've found backing into the seat to get in and pivoting out to the left to get out is working for me.... Mine is still missing the chip for the wheel so I am making do with the wheel all the way extended out....
Old 12-29-2021, 08:09 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm 6' 3 and ingress/egress is a real pain in this car. It's made worse by the fact there is a software bug that doesn't move the wheel forward for comfort entry.

I wish it was a 2 door, but I do love driving it!
Old 12-29-2021, 08:28 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

At 6' 2" and ~200lbs I found the door openings to be very small both front and rear.

Add in the fact that the B-pillar is in front of the seatback when it's set for my driving position and the whole situation really is a limitation IMO.

The rear doors are even worse/smaller. Once I was in, space was okay-ish, but getting in or out wasn't fun, and I'm still fairly limber... The door openings are small and the side sills are high, so it's very awkward getting in or out.

Another factor that I didn't remember reading about was visibility to the rear from the driver's seat. The back window is TINY - more like a mail-slot than a window. Can't hardly see anything that's behind you through that window. Honestly I thought both my Model 3 and the Model S were lacking in that regard, but both have much better rear visibility than the Taycan (IMO).

All of these factors are a result of the car's design/looks. It does look great, but function seems to have been sacrificed at the altar of style.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:57 PM
jmrdmd
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 61 Posts

I’m 6’5” and 3 bills. I do the back in and pivot move in and out. No the easiest but not horrible. Once in, it’s a comfortable ride.
It’s my daily driver and I love it.

Best

Jan
The following 3 users liked this post by jmrdmd:
biggreek (12-30-2021), Der-Schwabe (12-30-2021), mcipseric (01-02-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 09:20 AM
biggreek
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm glad to hear real world reviews and experiences from others regarding this situation. Unfortunately, for me, the Taycan is crossed off my list. Beings that I spend most of my time in a car (commute and a passion for driving), this is
a big issue and a deciding factor for me when looking for a car.

I'm very excited to see what the future holds for electric vehicles (in Porsche especially) and one day may hold as a replacement for commuting.

Happy new year. Wishing you all happy miles.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:10 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

6’4” 220 pounds. Taycan 4S as a daily. Have no issues at all with ingress and egress. Great daily driver.
The following users liked this post:
biggreek (12-31-2021)
Old 01-01-2022, 11:39 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In fairness, the Panamera has the same problem. At least in the Taycan Porsche put a cutout for your elbow in the B-pillar so it's cozy once you're in. But yes, it's a well known design choice, you set _way_ behind the b-pillar if you're tall. I'm 6'6" and all leg and getting out of the couple i've driven is not graceful.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:52 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmrdmd
I’m 6’5” and 3 bills. I do the back in and pivot move in and out. No the easiest but not horrible. Once in, it’s a comfortable ride.
It’s my daily driver and I love it.

Best

Jan
what he said! Add move the steering wheel all the way up and forward.

cheers
Old 01-03-2022, 02:11 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

TBH this was pretty much the dealbreaker for me when I contemplated switching from my Panamera Sport Turismo to a Taycan CT. I'm neither the biggest nor tallest, but decided not to live with the ingress/egress situation. The B-pillar placement is just a killer IMO. I do agree that "once in" it's a nice driving set up overall. Just not for me.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by aruisdante
In fairness, the Panamera has the same problem. At least in the Taycan Porsche put a cutout for your elbow in the B-pillar so it's cozy once you're in. But yes, it's a well known design choice, you set _way_ behind the b-pillar if you're tall. I'm 6'6" and all leg and getting out of the couple i've driven is not graceful.
The Panamera isn't nearly as bad as the Taycan.

I'm 6'2", 220 lbs. The first 2-3 times I sat in a Taycan, I found it extremely awkward to get in. My 997 was easier to get in and out of. But after a few more drives, I can get in easy enough. There's a weird relationship of the door aperature to the wheel. It's very cramped. But comfortable once you're in and also you do get used to getting in and out.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:47 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 113 Posts

6'3" and 210 lbs. Feels relative. Much easier to get in than bucket seats or most (real) 4x4s. Definitely not a Sedan DeVille though.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 04:10 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
The Panamera isn't nearly as bad as the Taycan.

I'm 6'2", 220 lbs. The first 2-3 times I sat in a Taycan, I found it extremely awkward to get in. My 997 was easier to get in and out of. But after a few more drives, I can get in easy enough. There's a weird relationship of the door aperature to the wheel. It's very cramped. But comfortable once you're in and also you do get used to getting in and out.
This. And it's not particularly close.

Quick Reply: Big and Tall Drivers